Job Title: Building ManagerJob Announcement Number: 1302005ABDE
Department: General Services Administration
Agency: Public Buildings Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, November 19, 2012 to
Monday, December 03, 2012
SERIES & GRADE:
WHO MAY APPLY:
All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).
You may have heard GSA called 'the government's landlord', but GSA is about more than just buildings...We're a vehicle management and acquisition service...a real estate manager...an IT solutions provider...a global supply chain manager...and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. And, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As a GSA Building Manager, you will be responsible for directing and supervising all Property Management activities, and coordinating all of the Public Buildings Service (PBS) activities within the Caribbean Service Center.
This position is located in the Public Buildings Service, Caribbean Service Center, San Juan, PR. This office is responsible for overseeing regional programs related to the management and operation of space under the jurisdiction, custody, or control of PBS, both federally owned and leased.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Ann Number 1302004ABMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both procedures.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
DUTIES:Back to top
The incumbent will assist in directing the following programs:
- Operations & Maintenance
- Repairs and Improvements
- Tenant Alterations
- Safety & Environmental Management
- Lease Administration
- Concessions/Special Programs
- Tenant Relations
- Financial Management
- Personnel Administration
- Asset Management
You will also be responsible for all personnel management programs and issues concerning subordinate staff, including labor and union relations, training, hiring and merit promotion, disciplinary actions, appraisal, incentive awards, and other personnel actions.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-13 salary range starts at $81,823.00 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify, you must demonstrate at one year of specialized experience at the GS-12 level or equivalent.
Examples of such experience are: managing large office buildings or large office complexes including assigning tasks to staff; improving customer and client agency satisfaction with building services; negotiating service contracts and lease provisions; preparing service contracts; developing maintenance programs; evaluating and monitoring building operations, maintenance, repair, custodial, recycling, environmental management and alterations, etc. to ensure compliance with agency requirements and industry standards; performing budget formulation and execution; and conducting inspections of designated space or facilities.
Education cannot be substituted.
If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Complete an OGE Form 450, Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, and obtain approval that no conflict or an appearance of conflict exists between your financial interest and this position.
- Complete a one year supervisory or managerial probationary period, unless this has been previously fulfilled.
- Be able to travel on official business.
- Periods of sitting, standing, walking, climbing ladders and stairs, and traversing through tight spaces in mechanical equipment rooms.
- Vision abilities for close reading of written materials, equipment dials and gauges, and ADP equipment, and distance reading for inspecting building facades, equipment, roofs, and architectural features, etc.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and driving motor vehicles for long distances to visit buildings throughout the geographic area of the Service Center.
- Occasional exposure to uncomfortable working conditions such as extreme heat, cold, or floods during response to emergencies, and extended overtime during such emergencies.
- Fully bilingual on a native level in written and oral English and Spanish. The incumbent must be capable of translating English text into standard business Spanish and vice-versa.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans' preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge of building management principles, procedures, and practices including, but not limited to, Operations & Maintenance; Repairs and Improvements, Energy-Recycling Conservation; Custodial; Financial and Budget Administration; Concessions/Special Programs; Delegations; and Customer/Tenant Relations.
- Advanced skill in interpersonal relations and in written and oral communications required to explain, evaluate and negotiate client and technical operating requirements.
- General knowledge of contracts, procurement regulations and procedures.
- Ability to supervise and organize the work of an organization unit.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing. To preview questions please click here.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. For information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
We will only consider applications submitted through the online process listed below unless an exception has been approved by a representative of the HR Office listed on this announcement. A description of the online process is provided below:
- Select the "Apply Online" button. Log on to OPM's USAJOBS to access your existing resume or to create a new one.
- From your account, select which resume you wish to submit. You also have the option of attaching any required documents saved in your USAJOBS account. Click "Apply for this Position Now!"
- You will be redirected to GSA's automated system, GSAjobs. First time users will be asked to respond to "Account Creation" questions. If you are a return GSAjobs user, click the links on the left to review and update any necessary profile information before continuing on with the application process.
- You will be prompted to respond to "Eligibility Questions" which will be used to determine your eligibility to apply for various types of vacancies. If you are a return user, these fields will pre-populate with your previous responses. Please review and make any necessary changes before proceeding.
- Next, you will be asked to respond to vacancy specific questions regarding your qualifications and the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or other competencies required to successfully perform this position.
- Submit any required documents (see below). A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Most documents become part of your permanent electronic file and you need to submit them only once unless you wish to update. You can view the Description column next to each form to determine if a previously submitted document is on file. For each document you must submit, select one of the following options in the "Action" column:
- "Upload" - Using the Document Manager, upload document (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc format only) directly from your computer;
- "USAJOBS" - Using the Document Manager, download a document you previously attached from your USAJOBS account for this vacancy.
- "FAX" - Print the Fax Cover Sheet, then fax cover sheet and document(s) to the listed phone number. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- At this point, if you are determined to be qualified for the position based upon your previous responses, additional assessment questions may be presented.
- Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to submit your application.
If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating.
Veterans: In order to be considered as a 5-point preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty (member 4 copy). If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15 form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form.
Active Duty Military Personnel - In lieu of the DD-214, active duty service members may submit a written document from the armed forces certifying that they expect to be discharged or released under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
College Transcripts: Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If slected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies for information on crediting education.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!