Job Title:Medical Support Assistant ( Eye Clinic)
Department:Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Job Announcement Number:VHA-558-DUR-13-789515-RD
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, November 16, 2012 to
Thursday, November 29, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|2 vacancies in the following location:|
Durham, NC United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|US Citizens and Status Candidates |
"To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan."
NOTE: In order to view and/or print the entire announcement, please scroll to the bottom of this page and click on "Print Preview"; then "Print". Otherwise, you may miss important instructions on how to apply for this position.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 789515
- You must be an U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Applicant may be subject to a one year probationary period.
- All requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
DUTIES:Back to top
Note: Please read vacancy announcement carefully. You must apply online or fax your documents.
VA Medical Center in Durham, NC is recruiting for 2 MSAs positions at the Main Eye Clinic and is responsible for checking patients in and out; verifying insurance and contact information; assisting patients with travel claims; and scheduling appointments, including interpreting and verifying provider orders in accordance with VHA national scheduling guidelines. Assignments at the full performance level include, but are not limited to scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patients appointments and/or consults; entering no-show information; monitoring the electronic wait list; and preparing for clinic visits. The Medical Support Assistant will provide customer service support at the Blind Rehabilitation Outpatient Clinic front desk by greeting patients and visitors, gathering information, answering the phone, referring Veterans to appropriate personnel, and other duties related to the work of the clinic. The incumbent will follow up on inquiries from Veteran patients regarding orders placed on their behalf for equipment, supplies, and/or blind aids and communicate with the patients regarding the status of their orders. The MSA will also provide support for the Durham VA Medical Center Eye Clinic via telephone and computer as time permits. The initial assignment of duties with supplemental verbal instructions will be given by the immediate supervisor but then it is expected that the MSA will function with little or no supervision. The incumbent will assist the Eye Clinic AO or designee in generating relevant reports and reviews.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Specialized Experience: You must possess at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-04 level in duties such as coordinating patient appointments; compiling/tracking statistical information; entering/managing patient and program data, and assisting with preparation and management of the program's budget.
Education: Possess four (4) years of education above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college or university. (TRANSCRIPT REQUIRED)
Combining Education and Experience: Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high education and experience may be used to meet total experience required at the GS-05 level.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Applicants must, therefore, only report attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
*** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. ****
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
(Failure to comply may be grounds for withdrawal of an offer of employment or dismissal after appointment)
- Applicants must meet any physical, language, license or degree requirements.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States, and be at least 16 years of age as of the closing date.
- Applicants tentatively selected for certain designated positions may be subject to a random drug screening for illegal drug use. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment.
- New Appointees will be subject to a background investigation to determine suitability. Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must certify at the time of appointment that they have registered with the Selective Service system or are exempt for having to do so under Selective Service law.
- Applicants must not be listed on the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Office of Inspector General Sanctions database.
- Applicants selected for positions through this announcement may be subject to a one year probationary period.
- Public Law 95-201 requires that persons appointed to direct patient-care positions must possess the required basic proficiency in spoken and written English.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, resume, and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a performance based interview. In responding to the interview questions, you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain what you did, and the outcome.