This position will be filled on a full-time permanent basis. Upon completing any required probationary period, the position will be permanent.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave.
- Although the duty station is shown in this announcement, it may be necessary to utilize the selected person's services at a different location within the Portland VA Medical Center commuting area if conditions require it in the future
- Applicants without prior federal service will be appointed at step one of the grade
-Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level
- The applicant selected for this position may be eligible for the education loan reimbursement award under the provision of the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) and may apply for eligibility. The final decision is contingent on the availability of EDRP funds since the overall program funding process is centralized. Dave Moore is the EDRP Coordinator for the PVAMC and may be contacted in Human Resources Service (P4HRMS) or by phone (503) 220-8262 at extension 58487
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire noncitizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- If you are a male born after December 31, 1959, and are at least 18 years of age, civil service employment law
(5 U.S.C. 3328) requires that you must register with the Selective Service System, unless you meet certain exemptions.
- A security clearance and a favorable suitability determination are required. Misconduct in prior employment, criminal, dishonest or disgraceful conduct, habitual use of intoxicating beverages, abuse of narcotics, drugs or other controlled substances, or reasonable doubt of loyalty to the United States are examples of reasons an offer of employment may be denied.
- Public transit subsidy benefits are available. Carpooling assistance is provided. However, single occupancy parking is limited on main Portland campus.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
- A drug test may be required for an applicant who is tentatively selected.
- A pre-employment physical examination will be required for an applicant who is tentatively selected.
- Applicants appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 USC 7402(d) and 7407(d).
- This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the agency. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis
- The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factor.
- It is the policy of the Department of Veterans Affairs that all Federal wage and salary payments are paid to employees by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer (DD/EFT).