You must possess the Basic Requirements identified below to be considered eligible for this position. Transcripts must be provided for qualifications based on education. Your application or resume must clearly show that you possess the appropriate experience requirements.
GS-06: One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least a GS-05 grade level. Specialized experience is defined as: Performed parachute jumps from various aircraft, with a minimum of 90 days as a smokejumper trainee. Suppressed the full range of difficult and complex wildland fire using common and proven basic techniques.
For the GS-06 there is no substitution of education for this position.
To receive consideration for this position, you must meet all qualification requirements on the date a certificate of candidates is issued from the Open Continuous Announcement.
Selective Placement Factors:
• I have a minimum 90 days experience performing wildland fire suppression duties as a member of an organized fire suppression crew or comparable unit that utilized knowledge of fire suppression techniques and practices under various conditions.
• I have a minimum 90 days experience performing as a smokejumper on an organized wildland fire smokejumper crew.
• I do NOT have acute or chronic eye disease. My tested vision, with or without correction, is at least 20/20 in one eye and at least 20/30 in the other and I am able to read printed material the size of typewritten characters.
• I do NOT have acute or chronic disease of the external, middle, or internal ear. My hearing has been tested and any hearing loss I have does not exceed 25 or more decibels at the speech frequency range. I do not require a hearing aid.
• I do NOT have acute or chronic sinus disease or other nasopharyngeal conditions that interfere with distinct speech or with free breathing.
• I do NOT have any mouth or dental defect that interferes with proper biting and chewing.
• I do NOT have any acute or chronic disease of the lungs that impairs pulmonary function.
• I do NOT have organic heart disease, valvular diseases; coronary heart disease; cardiac enlargement; angina pectoris; cardiac arrhythmia or irregularity other than sinus arrhythmia; arteriosclerosis or blood pressure readings that consistently exceed 150 systolic or 90 diastolic.
• I do NOT have acute or chronic disease of the abdomen; significant enlargement of the liver or spleen; or a hernia that interferes with lifting, stretching, bending, or working with tools.
• I do NOT have acute or chronic genitourinary disease; acute or chronic inflammation of the prostate; large and/or painful varicocele or hydrocele with functional impairment; or abnormal urinalysis findings, including drug use.
• I do NOT have diabetes, or its treatment and control are compatible with Smokejumper working conditions.
• I do NOT have restricted mobility of the spine and pelvic joints, nor do I have abnormal curvature of the spine or deformity or malformation of the parts, spondylolisthesis, or a history of herniated disk, with or without surgery, that may be reinjured on impact landing.
• I have NO anomalies in the number, form, proportion, and movement of the extremities that would interfere with work function of a Smokejumper, such as non-united fractures, nonreducible dislocations, united fractures and reduced dislocations with incomplete restoration of function; amputation of arm, hand, leg, or foot; loss of skeletal portion of the thumb of either hand; loss of more than the two bones of the ring or little fingers of either hand, fused joints, high arches, weakfoot or clubfoot, flatfoot with symptoms unresponsive to orthotics; loss or deformity of great toe or any two toes on the same foot; torn cartilage or loose foreign bodies within the knee joint; instability of the knee joint; or inadequately healed surgical procedure.
• I have NO mental, nervous, organic, or functional neuro-psychiatric disorders likely to interfere with performance; medical history or clinical diagnosis or a seizure disorder showing systems that are likely to recur or disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of the cause; total or partial paralysis or muscular atrophies or dystrophies that would interfere with proper functioning in a Smokejumper position.
• I do NOT have any debilitating skin disease or extensive scarring that would interfere with the proper functioning in a Smokejumper position.
• My height, without shoes, is within the 60 through 77 inch range (5’-6’5”).
• My weight, without clothes, is within the 120 through 200 pound range.
• I have had a tetanus immunization or tetanus booster within the last 10 years.
WORK CAPACITY TEST (WCT) for Wildland Firefighters: This position participates in wildland firefighting activities. Based on the type of work performed, TAKING and PASSING the WCT at the ARDUOUS level is a "condition of employment." The Arduous fitness (Pack) test requires completing a three (3) mile hike within forty-five (45) minutes, while carrying a forty-five (45) pound pack. You are strongly encouraged to consult with your physician and begin training immediately if applying for this position. This announcement constitutes the required 30 days advanced notice for testing requirements.
SMOKEJUMPER POSITIONS: 1. The locations for Smokejumper Bases include: Missoula Smokejumpers (Missoula, MT); Grangeville Smokejumpers (Grangeville, ID); West Yellowstone Smokejumpers (West Yellowstone, MT); McCall Smokejumper Base (McCall, ID); Redding Smokejumpers (Redding, CA); Redmond Smokejumpers (Redmond, OR); and North Cascades Smokejumpers (Winthrop, WA). To obtain more information about the USDA Forest Service and individual locations, go to http://www.fs.fed.us/ (a search can be done by State or by Name), or visit the Smokejumpers website at www.fs.fed.us/fire/people/smokejumpers/index.html. We encourage applicants to contact supervisors at the chosen locations for specific information.
2. MEDICAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Smokejumper duties present unusual hazards and require that personnel be in excellent physical condition and possess a high degree of emotional stability and mental alertness. The health of individuals must be such that they have the capacity to meet demands for performance in the position and for human reliability. Before entrance on duty, and periodically during employment, smokejumpers must undergo a medical exam, physical conditioning, and an adeptness test. Failure to meet any of the required standards will be considered disqualifying for employment or a basis of termination.
3. During the training period, incumbents are continually evaluated on their ability to demonstrate a high level of proficiency in various aspects of parachute jumping and smokejumper-related tasks, including aircraft exit procedures, parachute landing falls, parachute maneuvering, timber let-down procedures, parachute and cargo retrieving, tree climbing, and chainsaw and hand tool use. Incumbents who cannot perform up to the required standards of proficiency will be terminated from the smokejumper program.
4. WORK ENVIRONMENT: Smokejumpers must perform safely and efficiently in extreme temperatures and weather conditions, often with severe smoke and dust. Terrain may be extremely steep, uneven, rocky, and covered with thick tangled vegetation. Conditions riding in aircraft may be hot, cramped, and extremely turbulent, which may promote airsickness. The hazardous nature of the work requires that protective clothing (jump suit, helmet, boots, gloves, fire resistant clothing, etc.) be worn and protective equipment, including fire shelters, be carried.
ARDUOUS FIRE POSITIONS: Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to be employed in a position performing hazardous duties. An initial pre-employment medical examination is required for arduous fire positions. Failure to meet any of the required medical qualifications will be considered disqualifying for employment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
You will be evaluated based on the category rating procedure as defined in the USDA Demonstration Project Plan. Applicants who meet the basic minimum qualification requirements established for the position will be placed in the Eligible category. Eligible applicants will be further evaluated against criteria for placement in the Quality category. This evaluation is based on the level of your experience, education, and/or training as determined by your responses to the Occupational Questionnaire. Applicants with veterans’ preference are listed ahead of applicants who do not have veterans’ preference within each category.
Clicking the link below will present a preview of the application form; i.e. the online questionnaire. The application form link below will only provide a preview and does not initiate the application process. To initiate the online application process, click the “Apply Online” button to the right.
To view the application form, visit: https://fs.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=9e94cf3a-dce6-480c-871c-a0fd00d07452