For the GS-07 : You qualify for the GS- 07 level if you meet the basic education requirements and have one year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement or possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-05 level performing the duties such as:
- applying a practical application of accounting principles, auditing standards, procedures and technology;
- verifying that accounting systems are set up and maintained according to accepted accounting principles;
- and examining program documents as well as audit reports to determine compliance with governing regulations.
For the GS-09: You qualify for the GS-09 level if you meet the basic education requirements and have two years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree or possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-07 level performing the duties such as:
- applying routine and conventional audit techniques to complete fundamental and relatively uncomplicated audits or portions of more complex audits;
- reviewing and examining a variety of audit records to determine compliance;
- Assist in entrance, mid-term or exit conferences and meetings with agency personnel, contractors and others.
Candidates are required to possess certain Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, or Other Characteristics (KSAOs) to successfully perform the functions of this position. Candidates will be asked to demonstrate their attainment of these KSAOs in an online job questionnaire. The KSAOs are:
- Knowledge of the theories, concepts, principles and practices of accounting, financial and/or performance auditing to plan and conduct a variety of assignments.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, General Accepted Auditing Standards, Government Auditing Standard, and internal controls.
- Ability to communicate orally.
- Ability to communicate in writing.
All qualifications requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
You do not need to respond separately to each KSA above. Your answers to the occupational questionnaire will serve as responses to the KSAs.
1. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.")
2. Combination of education and experience -- at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
a. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
b. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
c. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
Unoffical transcripts are required to verify that you meet the basci education requirement for this position. Failure to provide transcripts will result in a loss of consideration. If you are selected for this position you will be required to submit offical transcripts.
The selectee must pass a drug test by urinalysis prior to appointment.
Completion of a one year probationary period may be required.
Background Investigation: To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, OIG requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully obtain and maintain a background investigation for a Top Secret as a condition of placement into this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating system will be used to evaluate applicants on their total background including experience (paid and unpaid), education, awards, and training and self-development as it relates to the position based upon the information provided in the resume/application and any other supporting documents. If you are current or former Federal employee, your resume must indicate the GS or pay band level for each position that you held. If your resume includes non-government service, including contractors, please include the salaries for each position held. All work experience should specify the length of time spent in the position. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. Based on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training in relation to the evaluation criteria, you will be placed into one of the following three categories:
- Best Qualified- Highly proficient with an overall comprehensive level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of the job based on a complete review of experience, education, and training as described in the qualification section of this vacancy announcement.
- Well Qualified- Competent in the position with an overall accomplished level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of the job based on a complete review of experience, education, and training as described in the qualification section of this vacancy announcement.
- Qualified-Overall basic level of knowledge, skills, and abilities of the job based on a complete review of experience, education, and training as described in the qualification section of this vacancy announcement.
Applications of Veterans Preference: The Category rating method does not add veterans preference points or apply the rule of three, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligible within each category. Preference eligibles who do not have a service-connected disability 10 percent or more will be assigned to the appropriate quality category based upon the job-related assessment and will be listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within the appropriate quality category. Preference eligibles who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent and who meet the minimum qualifications requirements "will be listed in the highest quality category (except if the position is a scientific or professional position at the GS-09 level or above). The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) had defined the professional and scientific professional positions and can be accessed here: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/group-stds/gs-prof.asp
NOTE: If a determination is made that qualifications and/or experience have been inflated, your score will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities.