Job Title:Accountant, GS-510-11/12 (Open to Status candidates) DB
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Federal Railroad Administration
Job Announcement Number:FRA.AD-2013-0003
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, October 19, 2012 to
Tuesday, October 30, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time - -
|1 vacancy -
Washington, DC, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
Current or former federal employee with status OR Veterans eligible under VEOA. If you are NOT a status employee or VEOA eligible, you may wish to apply under announcement FRA.AD-2012-0002, which is open to all U.S. citizens.
The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) is responsible for ensuring safety of the Nation's passenger and freight rail operations and infrastructure by promoting safe, efficient and accessible rail transportation. The mission and focus of FRA has grown to include the design and management of an unprecedented investment in the creation of a nationwide passenger rail network. FRA is providing leadership for the creation of a more balanced transportation system, transforming the way Americans travel.
This Vacancy is limited to the first 50 applications and will close early at midnight on the day we receive the 50th application.
You will serve as an Accountant in the Office of Financial Services Staff (FSS), Office of the Chief Financial Officer, Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), in Washington, D.C. The mission of the Financial Services Staff is to manage and coordinate all financial management, accounting, and disbursing activities within the FRA. You are responsible for analyzing, reconciling and processing a variety of financial accounts using an automated financial management system.
The ideal candidate is a mid level professional that possesses a high degree of energy, passion for the job, and is willing to do what is necessary to achieve organization goals. Has experience applying financial management and accounting theories, concepts, principles, procedures and standards with knowledge of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and the ability to communicate and deal effectively with internal and external customers outside of the Federal government.
- You must be a status candidate and meet specialized experience
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date
- Provide all required documents by closing date
- Position is telework eligible
- Announcement also advertised to U.S. citizens: FRA.AD-2013-0002.
- Announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days
DUTIES:Back to top
As an Accountant, you will:
- Validate data entered into an automated financial management system that reflects FRA’s accounting activities.
- Perform analysis and reconciliation of a variety of accounts, identifies, researches and resolves all reconciliation differences.
- Use generally accepted accounting principles, theories, techniques, methodology, and analyses to perform assigned portion of accounting system.
- Perform fact-finding, and implementation plans for new or modified accounting systems, resulting in the design or modification of enhanced accounting systems.
- Administer and perform a variety of fund control activities affecting limited functional areas of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Qualification standards are used to determine which applicants would be able to perform satisfactorily in the positions to be filled. The education, training, experience, or other requirements included in the qualification standards are minimum requirements, i.e., it would be unlikely that an applicant for employment would be able to perform satisfactorily in a particular position or occupation series if he or she did not possess these qualifications.
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
||To qualify on Education, you must have:
||To qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
||3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
- Experience using financial management, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), theories, techniques and methodology to perform accounting responsibilities.
- Experience validating data entered into an automated financial management system that reflects accounting activities.
- Experience performing analysis and reconciling variety of accounts; and identifying and resolving unreconciled accounts balance on the financial reports.
||You can also qualify based on a combination of Education and Experience
||There is no education substitute
For the GS-12: In addition to meeting the specialized experience at the GS-11, this level requires:
- Experience compiling, analyzing, and validating components of the general ledger to create financial statements and reports, and resolve auditability weaknesses.
- Experience using an automated accounting system to process accounting data, produce financial statements and reports, and perform queries.
- Experience analyzing and interpreting policy decision to develop guidelines for appropriations.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.
MANDATORY EDUCATION REQUIREMENT: A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditng" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.") OR B. Combination of education and experience: at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
- Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
- A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
- Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for the Selective Service.
- You must complete a one-year probationary period (unless already completed).
- Government Travel Card - You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
- Time-in-Grade - Federal applicants must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade to satisfy time-in-grade restrictions contained in 5 CFR 300, Subpart F.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Automated Staffing Office is ultimately responsible for determining your final rating. Please ensure that your resume and application provide enough detail to support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions. Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your answers to the Vacancy Specific questions, your self-determined rating, resume and supporting documentation are reviewed. If your resume and supporting documents do not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the Apply Online button on the job announcement.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
If you are having difficulty applying online, send an email to email@example.com or call us at (202)366-1298.
The following documents must be provided by the close date:
- RESUME - Showing relevant experience and education and fully supporting the required specialized experience.
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
- TRANSCRIPTS (FOR THE GS-11): If you are using experience and graduate level education you must submit a copy of your college transcript.
- TRANSCRIPTS - Verifying that you meet the stated education requirements for the series an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series. The transcripts need not be official.
- SF-50 - Which verifies grade, full performance level of position, and eligibility for consideration as a status applicant
- DD214 - Verifying military service and eligibility for consideration under the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act.
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS - If requesting concurrent consideration for new Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit new military spouse NC appointments new Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration.
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS - Only required if requesting priority consideration under new CTAP/ICTAP. You must submit ALL of the following: (1) your most recent performance appraisal, (2) the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency, and (3) your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. In addition, you must meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 85). Submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into your USAJOBS account. Within two weeks of the closing date, your application will be reviewed and rated. The most highly qualified candidates in the top group will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, the hiring manager will contact you directly. Once a hiring decision is made, we will notify all applicants of their final status.