DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to www.dhs.gov/careers
and select "benefits."
Eligibility to apply for other Federal positions: TSA is an Excepted Service agency exempt from most of Title 5 United States Code, including regulations which apply to displaced Federal employees (CTAP/ICTAP) of other agencies, and employment with TSA does not confer "Competitive Status" that generally results from selection and service in Competitive Service agencies. The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has established an Interchange Agreement, which allows most permanent TSA employees to apply and be considered for vacancies in Competitive Service agencies. Information from OPM on this or other Interchange Agreements is available at: http://www.opm.gov.
To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo and successfully pass a background investigation as a condition of placement into this position.
TSA employees who are absent for the purpose of performing military duty may apply for any vacancies announced in their absence.
This position is within a Specialized category of TSA's Core Compensation Plan.
Exposure to potentially lethal devices and dangerous chemicals is inherent in this position.
This position is not covered by Law Enforcement Availability Pay or Law Enforcement Retirement.
Payment of relocation expenses (Permanent Change of Station) is not authorized.
Qualified non-competitive eligible candidates may be referred for consideration on a separate unranked list.
More than one position may be filled from this announcement.
Conditions of Employment: Selectee must successfully complete all BDO training and OJT requirements to be promoted/re-assigned into the BDO program. Those unable to successfully complete the program requirements will remain in their current position. Appointment to this position is contingent upon a negative drug test result. Any individual tentatively selected for this position will be required to submit to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Must meet and maintain medical requirements for screening work (including a medical examination and physical abilities assessment) including, but not limited to, the following:
Minimum Entry Age Requirement:
- Must be able to efficiently and thoroughly manipulate and lift baggage, containers, and other objects subject to security processing;
- Must be able to repeatedly lift and carry items weighing up to 70 pounds;
- Must be able to maintain physical agility that would allow you to squat, bend, and lean to inspect individuals and baggage/cargo;
- Must be able to maintain the ability to walk up to two miles during a shift and stand for prolonged periods of time;
- Must be able to maintain a measured threshold for sight:
Distance vision correctable to 20/30 or better in the best eye and 20/100 or better in worst eye. Near vision correctable to 20/40 or better binocular;
- Must maintain a measured threshold for hearing: Average hearing loss of 25 decibels (ANSI) at 500, 1000, 2000, and 3000 Hz in each ear. Single reading of 45 decibels at 4000 and 6000 Hz in each ear;
- Must be able to distinguish between different colors that will be a part of images displayed on automated screens: Color perception (e.g., red, green, blue, yellow, orange, purple, brown, black, white, gray). Note: Color filters for enhancing color discrimination are prohibited;
- Must be able to maintain eligibility for a security clearance;
- Must be able to maintain proficiency in all facets of assigned work sufficient to ensure recertification;
- Must be available to work various shifts and overtime, as needed;
- Must be proficient in English (e.g., reading, writing, speaking, listening); and,
- Must possess U.S. Citizenship or be a U.S. National.
To be determined eligible applicants must have reached the minimum entry age of 18 years at the time their application is submitted and, if selected for the position, will be required to provide such proof prior to appointment.