Department:Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency:Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Job Announcement Number:03-13-763729
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, October 09, 2012 to
Tuesday, October 30, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|2 vacancies in the following location:|
Anchorage, AK United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens |
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 763729
Anchorage is a mid-sized city of approximately 290,000, with all of the modern amenities expected, including shopping, dining, cultural opportunities, entertainment, and public transportation. Leave the traffic jams and commuter stress behind and enjoy the scenic mountains or Cook Inlet views as you travel around the area. And in 15-20 minutes you can be in the Alaska wilderness of the Chugach National and State Parks, with little evidence of civilization. Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, boating, skiing, climbing, golf, tennis, recreational leagues and wildlife photography are all pursuits available in or near Anchorage. And the University of Alaska Anchorage provides educational opportunities for continued personal education and growth.
Alaska has no state income tax and Anchorage has no sales tax.
Join a team fulfilling President Abraham Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans.
Positions in Alaska receive a tax free Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) in addition to the base salary. The COLA for Anchorage is currently 5.57% and is subject to change in the future.
NOTE: Relocation expenses are not approved for this vacancy. A Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be approved for this position.
As a VA professional, you will have numerous opportunities the Department of Veterans Affairs has a wide range of locations throughout the country. The VA is the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation. The VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/ .
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission. The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE").
America's Veterans need you!
To find out more, go to To find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/icare
Position Summary: The primary purpose of this position is to provide pharmaceutical care to Alaska VA Healthcare System (AVAHS) patients The incumbent serves as a Staff Pharmacist, promoting the most appropriate, safest and cost-effective drug therapy to achieve outcomes that improve the patient's quality of life. Primary responsibilities include consulation and management of patients on drug therapies, providing a complete range of pharmaceutical services to authorized Veterans throughout the state of Alaska, and participating in the education and operational activities of the Pharmacy Service.
The grade and salary of the selectee for this position will be recommended by a Professional Standards Board after a review of the documented education and experience.
Special Employment Consideration: Individuals eligible for the following appointment authorities are encouraged to apply: 5 CFR 213.3102 u, Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities; mental retardation, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities; and Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency. For more information, see http://www.sss.gov/ .
- U. S. Citizenship
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- English Language Proficiency required
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Licensure/Registration as a Pharmacist required.
DUTIES:Back to top
The primary purpose of this position is to provide pharmaceutical care to Alaska VA Healthcare System (AVAHS) patients The incumbent serves as a Staff Pharmacist, promoting the most appropriate, safest and cost-effective drug therapy to achieve outcomes that improve the patient's quality of life. Primary responsibilities include consulation and management of patients on drug therapies, providing a complete range of pharmaceutical services to authorized Veterans throughout the state of Alaska, and participating in the education and operational activities of the Pharmacy Service. The Staff Pharmacist is responsible for the following functions:
- Promotes delivery of pharmaceutical care service for all patients of the AVAHS
- Works with other clinical staff to develop effective patient flow through the clinic and to ensure patients have the opportunity to speak with a pharmacist before prescriptions are processed
- Ensures that pharmacists provide patient medication counseling to verify patient understanding of the medication, proper medication use, expected outcomes, how to obtain additional medications, and how the current prescrption will be processed
- Documents all patient counseling in the patient record
- Identifies actual and potential drug related problems and work with other clinical staff to resolve adn prevent actual drug related issues
- Participates in quality improvement activities to ensure optimal drug therapy outcomes
- Participates in the provision of pharmaceutical care services such as drug distribution, database management, drug information and documentations of interventions
2. Provides excellent customer service
3. Participates in educational activities
- Identifies staff educational and training needs
- Provides orientation and training for new Pharmacy employees
- Precepts pharmacy residents and students
- Participates in educational programs for patients
- Provides drug information support to other AVAHS healthcare providers
- Serves as a resource to the Medication Usage Functional Lead Team regarding drug therapies
4. Participates in administrative functions of Pharmacy Service
- Develops, organizes and manages outpatient care rotations for residents and students
- Develops policies and procedures for Outpatient Care clinical activities
- Interviews and assists with the selection of residents and staff pharmacists
- Develops goals and objectives for residents and students and provides feedback on their work performance
5. Assists in research projects
- Fosters and assists with the development and implementation of pharmacy based research studies
- Dispenses and maintains accountability records for investigational drugs
- Participates as a consultant or co-investigator in resident research projects
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- U.S. citizenship
- (1) Graduate of an Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredited College or School of Pharmacy with a baccalaureate degree in pharmacy (BS Pharmacy) and/or a Doctor of Pharmayc (Pharm. D.) degree. Verification of approved degree programs may be obtained from the ACPE through their website at: http://www.acpe-accredit.org/. or (2) Graduates of foreign pharmacy degree programs meet the educational requirement if the graduate is able to provide proof of achieving the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Commission (FPGEC) Certification, which includes passing the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE) and the Test of English as a Foreign Language Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT).
- Full, current and unrestricted license to practice pharmacy in a State, Territory, Commonwealth of the United States (e.g., Puerto Rico), or the District of Columbia. The pharmacist must maintain current registration if this is a requirement for maintaining a full, current and unrestricted licensure.
- Meet the physical requirements as outlined in VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
- Must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 USC 7402(d) and 7407(d).
GS-11: None beyond the basic requirements listed above.
GS-12: One year of experience equivalent to the GS-11 grade level which is directly related to this position; or completion of a one year ACPE-accredited Pharm.D. program.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Applicants must, therefore, only report attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. *** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. ***
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.