To be considered for the position, you must meet the following qualification requirements.
Education: Applicants must have degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. (One year of nursing experience as a military corpsman that has been accepted by a State licensing body may be accepted in lieu of education at the GS-4 level.)
NOTE: ALL applicants MUST submit legible transcripts as verification of educational requirement. Education MUST be from an institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth or Puerto Rico, or territory of the United States. An Applicant who has graduated from an approved nursing educational program within the past 12 months may be appointed pending State registration as a professional nurse within 6 months of appointment. No person appointed pending registration may be retained beyond 6 months, or promoted, if registration has not been attained.
For information regarding foreign education requirements, please see Foreign Diploma and Credit Recognition at the U.S. Department of Education website: Recognition of Foreign Qualifications
Education and/or Experience: Listed below is the required combination of education and/or experience per grade level:
GS-04: Completion of a program of less than 30 months’ duration or associate degree OR 1 year of nursing experience as a military corpsman.
GS-05: Completion of a program of less than 30 months' duration or associate degree AND 1 year of professional nursing, or of at least GS-4 level practical nurse or nursing assistant experience under the supervision of a professional nurse. OR
Completion of a program of at least 30 months' duration or 4 academic years above high school or bachelor's degree.
GS-07: Completion of a professional nursing program AND 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level OR 1 full year of graduate education or bachelor's degree with superior academic achievement.
GS-09: 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master’s or equivalent degree OR 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-07 level.
GS-10: Completion of a professional nursing program and 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-09 level.
Specialized experience examples per grade level:
- Experience gained as a military corpsman or a new graduate of an Associate Degree RN program.
- Experience communicating with and providing nursing services to patients.
- Experience applying professional nursing concepts, principles, practices and nursing standards.
- Experience operating medical equipment.
- Experience implementing established protocols and standing orders for handling patients.
- Experience providing care to patients whose conditions are characterized by extremely complex health care needs.
- Experience recognizing life threatening emergencies and initiating immediate care until assistance is obtained.
- Experience in human behavior and the ability to communicate with and provide nursing services to patients.
- Experience in the techniques and the operational mechanics of medical equipment.
- Experience with accurately transcribing physician's orders, performing health assessments and accurately documenting in patient's medical record.
- Experience with pharmacology of a wide variety of drugs, dosages, routes of administration, therapeutic action, drug interactions, and adverse reactions.
- Experience in professional nursing concepts, principles, practices and nursing standards as related to medical, surgical, and mental health nursing.
- Experience in the recognition of life threatening emergencies and in initiating immediate care until assistance is obtained.
- Experience in nursing theories and practices needed to plan and provide care to patients whose conditions are characterized by extremely complex health care needs.
- Experience using critical thinking skills and establishing priorities of care when dealing with multiple patients having varying degrees of care requirements.
Combination of Education and Experience:
Have a combination of education and experience. This experience must have equipped you with the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the major duties of this position as described above. Credit will be given for paid and unpaid experience. To receive proper credit, you must show the actual time (such as the number of hours worked per week) spent in activities.
**Your eligibility for consideration will be based on your resume and/or educational transcripts.**
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP). The ICTAP provides eligible displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1)this vacancy is within your ICTAP eligibility; 2) you apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) you are found well qualified for this vacancy. To be well qualified, you must satisfy all qualification requirements for the vacant position and rate equivalent to the Highly Qualified category using established category rating criteria. You must provide proof of eligibility with your application of ICTAP eligibility or a copy of your separation personnel action form. Additional information about ICTAP eligibility is at: Click Here
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
This position is processed under Direct Hire authority, veterans preference and Category Rating procedures does not apply.
Applicants will be evaluated utilizing the documentation submitted and considered for the grade level in which the resume and/or educational transcripts supports. To preview questions please click here.