In order for your application to be considered, you must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement:
Minimum Qualification Requirement:
You must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Experience for this position includes designing, planning, executing, and evaluating a public affairs and/or communications program to communicate agency policies, programs, and actions to various pertinent publics and groups; developing and disseminating informational materials to the general public or specialized target groups; building and maintaining partnerships and effective working relationships with all media; AND providing oversight and leadership of a team.
The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your:
- Responses to the online questions, and
- Required supporting documents.
We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You will be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we will rate you as ineligible.
Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Ability to direct, plan, organize, and coordinate the functions of a group of employees within a branch that support one or more segments of the Division’s mission.
- Knowledge of communication principles, methods, practices, techniques, and interpersonal relations practices.
- Ability to use a variety of methods and techniques in achieving communication goals such as arranging media interviews and speaking opportunities for VIPs, planning special events with agency partners, and using tools including news releases, radio and television scripts, feature articles, and other forms of media.
- Ability to present information on a wide variety of subjects using the full-array of written and oral presentation formats and techniques.
We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application. Category Rating will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. If qualified, you will be assigned to one of three categories, Best Qualified, Well-Qualified or Qualified depending on your experience and education related to this position. Veterans' preference is applied after applicants are assessed. Preference-eligibles will be listed at the top of their assigned category and considered before non-preference-eligibles in that category. Qualified preference-eligibles with a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest category.
3. Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must be assigned to the Well Qualified category or higher to be determined as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process. To preview questions please click here.