Department:Department Of Energy
Agency:Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
Job Announcement Number:FERC-RIS-2013-0001
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, October 01, 2012 to
Tuesday, October 09, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Excepted service with an initial appointment of 1 year -
|1 vacancy -
Washington DC Metro Area, DC, US|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Recent college graduates (within 2 years of the closing date of this announcement and veterans precluded from doing so due to military service obligation will have up to six years to apply).|
Pathways Recent Graduate Program: This program is for individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs and seek a dynamic, career development program with training and mentorship. To be eligible, applicants must apply within two years of degree or certificate completion (except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years to apply).
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, or FERC, is an independent agency that regulates the interstate transmission of natural gas, oil, and electricity. FERC also regulates natural gas and hydropower projects. As part of our goal, we are seeking highly skilled individuals to assist in carrying out the mission of this agency. We assist consumers in obtaining reliable, efficient and sustainable energy services at a reasonable cost through appropriate regulatory and market means.
This position is located in the Office of Enforcement, which serves the public interest by ensuring effective regulations and protecting customers through understanding markets and their regulation, timely identifying and remedying market problems, assuring compliance with Commission rules and regulations, and detecting and crafting remedies to address market manipulation and other non-compliance issues.
Upon successful completion of this one-year program Recent Graduates may be converted to a career or career conditional position. To be eligible for conversion, Recent Graduates must have:
- Successfully completed at least 1 year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program.
- Demonstrated successful job performance.
- Met the qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
- U.S. Citiizenship
- Background investigation will be conducted
- Up to 15% travel.
- Generally, male applicants must be registered with the Selective Service
DUTIES:Back to top
Our professional audit staff solves market and financial accounting issues at energy companies, including numerous Fortune 500 companies by:
- Appling professional auditing principles, techniques, and theories.
- Performing a variety of basic spreadsheet analyses; researching market and financial accounting issues; and preparing working papers and summary reports.
- Developing work plans, milestones, and resource requirements and provide these inputs to the Division's planning process. The effort requires research into basic regulatory, market, financial auditing and emerging issues, industry reporting, various current and prior Commission actions, prior and on-going audits, evaluations, examinations and discussions with other knowledgeable sources.
- Assisting in performing audits, evaluations and examinations of market and financial accounting and reporting issues associated with measurement of market performance, assessment of market behavior and structure, and financial reporting requirements, to ensure efficiency, fairness, and consistency with Commission rules and policies. Developing recommendations for the disposition of all issues. Taking action to resolve, or coordinate the resolution of, market and financial problems and issues.
- Preparing draft summaries of work performed and based on the results of the audits, evaluations and examinations that contain an appropriate discussion and recommendations on economic and regulatory policies. Preparing other written products such as notices, financial memoranda and proposed orders.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Candidates must have one full year of experience at the GS-5 grade level or equivalent education. Specialized experience is described as professional accounting, auditing or related experience that demonstrates awareness of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards or Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards.
To be considered, candidates must meet the educational requirements for an Auditor position within 3 months of this vacancy closing. To review the education requirements of an auditor, please click here.
**If you are using a combination of education and experience to qualify for this position, you must meet the educational requirements above within 3 months of this vacancy closing.
CANDIDATES MUST PROVIDE TRANSCRIPTS IN ORDER FOR COURSEWORK TO BE VERIFIED; FAILURE TO INCLUDE TRANSCRIPTS WILL RESULT IN CANDIDATES NOT BEING CONSIDERED; TRANSCRIPTS MUST BE SUBMITTED AT TIME OF APPLICATION.
Your resume must clearly document how you meet the specialized experience in order to meet the minimum qualification requirements for this vacancy. Transcripts must be submitted at time of application. All required documents must be received by the closing date of this announcement. If you do not submit a required document (e.g. transcripts, etc.) your application will be considered incomplete and you will not receive further consideration.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
If selected for this position, you will be required to: - Complete a Declaration for Federal Employment to determine your suitability for Federal employment. - Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer. - Go through a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the Form I-9. Federal law requires verification of the identity and employment eligibility of all new hires in the U.S.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume, responses to the questionnaire and required documents to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your resume must address the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed in the Qualifications Section. If you meet basic qualification requirements, your application will be further evaluated based on your answers to the on-line assessment. Your responses to the on-line assessment will be used to measure the degree to which your background matches the requirements for the position. You are being evaluated under the category rating method which means, if you are determined to be qualified, you will be placed into the 'Best Qualified', 'Well Qualified', or 'Qualified' Category. We will compare your resume and supporting documentation to your responses on the assessment questionnaire. If you rate yourself higher than what is supported by your application materials, your responses may be excluded from consideration for this job. We will evaluate your qualifications and eligibility and notify you if you meet minimum qualification requirements. NOTE: We do not require a separate statement responding to the competencies, also referred to as Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs). However, your resume should clearly show possession of these competencies. The Occupational Questions are used to evaluate your relevant educational and work experience. The questions are related to competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities such as:
1. Knowledge of auditing principles, practices, procedures, and professional standards, as set forth under Generally Accepted Auditing Standards or Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards.
2.Ability to gather data, conduct analysis, and formulate conclusions on various aspects of performance and/or financial audits.
3.Ability to present audit analysis and conclusions both orally and in writing.
4. Ability to utilize information technology to effectively accomplish and present audit work products.
5. Ability to work effectively in teams while conducting audits.
To preview questions please click here.