Basic Qualification Requirements for Biologist, GS-0401-15:
A. Have a bachelors degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry or a related discipline appropriate to the position;OR
B. Have a combination of education and experience--Courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate specialized experience or additional education.
Basic Qualification Requirements for Microbiologist, GS-0403-15:
A. Have a bachelor's degree in microbiology; or biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent;OR
B. Combination of education and experiencecourses equivalent to a major in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Basic Qualification Requirements for Toxicologist, GS-0415-15:
Have a bachelor's degree in toxicology; or an appropriate discipline of the biological, medical, or veterinary sciences that included at least 30 semester hours in chemistry, biochemistry, or physiology, and 12 semester hours in toxicology.
Basic Qualification Requirements for General Health Scientist, GS-0601-15:
Have a degree in a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of this position.
In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirements for Biologist, GS-0401-15, Microbiologist, GS-0403-15, Toxicologist, GS-0415-15, or General Health Scientist, GS-0601-15 described above, you must also meet the following:
Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-14 level in Federal service, planning, developing, executing, and coordinating food safety policies/activities to include, safety of produce, plant products, beverages, dairy and eggs, retail food safety, and food processing science and technology; assisting in formulating, developing, and executing short and long-range goals reducing the incidence of foodborne illness and disease threats; assisting in organizational structuring of personnel and resources; representing agency in high level meetings with internal/external stakeholders regarding food safety, etc.
You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
5. One-year probationary period may be required.
6. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
7. Bargaining Unit Position: No
8. Drug Screening Required: No
9. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: Yes
10. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
11. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
12. Travel required: 10%
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Qualified candidates will be assigned to the following quality categories:
Best Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position.
Well Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
Qualified - Meet the minimum qualification requirements, but does not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the required competencies listed below for this position.
- Technical Competence
- Planning and Evaluating
- Managing Human Resources
- Oral Communication
Application of Veterans' Preference: Under Category Rating procedures, veteran preference eligibles will receive selection consideration before non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link:View Assessment Questions