Basic Qualification Requirement:
In order to qualify for Consumer Safety Officer, GS-0696-11/13, you must meet the following:
A. A degree that included at least 30 semester hours in one or a combination of the following: biological sciences, chemistry, pharmacy, physical sciences, food technology, nutrition, medical science, engineering, epidemiology, veterinary medical science, or related scientific fields that provided knowledge directly related to consumer safety officer work. The 30 semester hours can include up to 8 semester hours in statistics, or course work that included the principles, theory, or practical application of computers or computer programming; OR
B. A combination of education and experience -- courses consisting of at least 30 semester hours in the fields of study described in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Additional Qualification Requirement:
In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirement described above, you must also meet the following:
A. Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-09 level in Federal service, assisting in developing policy and programs on issues related to safety of fresh produce; assisting in developing, collecting, and interpreting data regarding the safety, defense, and quality of fresh produce; assisting in providing standard and non-complex policy and program advice to fresh produce stakeholders on evolving policy, food borne illness outbreaks, follow-up investigations, education/outreach programs, and risk based research needs for the safety of fresh produce; preparing correspondence to fresh produce stakeholders on food safety issues, etc;OR
B. Have three years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in the fields of study described under the Basic Qualification Requirements above. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent one year of full-time study. If that number cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours will be considered an academic year of graduate study;OR
C. Have a combination of experience as described in "A" above and graduate education as described in "B" above. When combining education with experience, first determine the applicant's total qualifying education as a percentage of the education required for the grade level; then determine the applicant's experience as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level; finally, add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal at least 100 percent to qualify.
Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-11 level in Federal service, providing substantive input, developing complex organizational policy, position papers, guidelines, compliance strategies, and advisory opinions on issues related to the microbial safety of fresh produce; participating in developing, collecting, and interpreting data regarding the safety, defense, and quality of fresh produce; providing highly complex policy and program advice to fresh produce stakeholders on evolving policy, food borne illness outbreaks, follow-up investigations, education/outreach programs, and risk based research needs for the safety of fresh produce; etc,
Have one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the GS-12 level in Federal service, developing complex policy, regulations, position papers, regulatory guidelines, compliance strategies, and advisory opinions on issues related to the microbial safety of fresh produce; developing, collecting, and interpreting data regarding the safety, defense, and quality of fresh produce; providing policy and program advice to fresh produce stakeholders on evolving policy, food borne illness outbreaks, follow-up investigations, education/outreach programs, and risk based research needs for the safety of fresh produce; representing organization at high level meetings/conferences on issues related to food safety of fresh produce.
You must submit an official transcript, unofficial transcript, or a list including courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned. Degree requirements must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this job announcement and your transcript(s) submitted must reflect this.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 PM (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: Yes
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: Yes
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
13. Travel required: 10%
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the job opportunity announcement closes, a review of your résumé and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job.
If, after reviewing your résumé and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your responses when compared to your background information, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your skills and abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Qualified candidates will be assigned to the following quality categories:
Best Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position.
Well Qualified - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
Qualified - Meet the minimum qualification requirements, but does not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the required competencies listed below for this position.
- Technical Competence
- Planning and Evaluating
- Oral Communication
Application of Veterans' Preference: Under Category Rating procedures, veteran preference eligibles will receive selection consideration before non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link:View Assessment Questions