All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement Monday, October 01, 2012. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors. Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualification Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions for the GS-0404 series. It is available for review on OPM's website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
QUALIFICATIONS: To be eligible for this position, you must possess the qualifying specialized experience and/or education as well as selective factors as described in the occupational/assessment questionnaire.
EDUCATION: To qualify based on education, you must submit a legible copy of transcripts with your name, school name, credit hours, major(s), and grade-point average or class ranking. If transcripts are not included in your application package, education will not be credited.
Transcripts do not need to be official but if you are selected for this position and you used your education to qualify then you will need to provide official transcripts before you enter on duty.
NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
You can receive credit for education received outside the United States if you provide evidence that it is comparable to an accredited education institution in the United States when you apply. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
1. NPS uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with National Park Service uniform standards. Will be provided a stipend to defray the costs.
2. Applicants must possess a valid state driver's license. This position requires that you operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. A valid State driver's license is required. As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit a completed GSA Form 3607, Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. If you are tentatively selected for employment in this position, you will be required to complete GSA Form 3607 and submit the above State issued documents. Your employment, after your tentative selection, will be contingent upon receipt of these documents in a timely manner and that those documents establish, to the satisfaction of the selecting official, that you possess a valid driver's license.
3. You will be required to work weekends and holidays.
4. You will be required to camp an average of 5 nights each week in conjunction with patrols and egg incubation.
5. Required to lift up to 50 pounds.
6. Applicants Selective Service Registration Status: If you are required to register with the Selective Service System, you are required to provide evidence of such as a condition of appointment prior to appointment, visit the Selective Service website to obtain the required documents: http://www.sss.gov/.
7 Appointment is subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication.
8. New employees of the Dept. of the Interior must identify a financial institution for direct deposit of net pay within 30 days of entrance on duty.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. Candidates will be ranked into 3 categories; Best Qualified - those applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are highly proficient in all requirements of the job and can perform effectively in the position; Well Qualified - those applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job; and Qualified - those applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
Order for Consideration: All qualified applicants entitled to veterans' preference who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more will be added to the Best Qualified category. (1) Best qualified applicants entitled to veterans' preference, then all other best qualified applicants. (2) Well qualified applicants entitled to veterans' preference, then all other well qualified applicants. (3) Qualified applicants entitled to veterans' preference, then all other qualified applicants.
Ratings will be based on responses to the occupational questions in this document. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your score. To receive credit, information submitted in your Occupational Questionnaire MUST relate to a specific work/experience block in your resume. Your answers to the occupational questionnaire must be documented in your resume. Only education and experience acquired by the filing deadline will be considered.
Failure to provide the assessment questionnaire will result in your not receiving consideration for this position.Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics). Note: Your resume must support your responses to the occupational questions.
-Knowledge of marine ecosystems and natural resources (i.e., flora, fauna, water, and/or endangered species).
-Ability to operate and perform minor repairs on 4-wheel drive vehicles and Utility Transport Vehicles (UTVs).
-Ability to collect and accurately record scientific data using computers and associated software.
-Ability to communicate orally.
Selective factor for this position: Possess current valid
Please include ALL applicable work experience that relates to the position for which you are applying. You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that indicates hours per week "varies". List exact hours per week on each job experience.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: Preference will be given to eligible veterans who: Submit a DD-214 showing honorable or general discharge, that they entered the military service prior to October 14, 1976; served on active duty during the Gulf War between August 2, 1990 and January 2, 1992, regardless of where the person served; or, served in a military action for which they received a campaign badge or expeditionary medal. Medal holders and Gulf War veterans must have served continuously for at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty. Preference will be granted to the eligible veterans who provide a SF-15 and appropriate documentation as listed on the SF-15 who are disabled veterans, Purple Heart recipients; spouses or mothers of a 100 percent disabled veteran; or the widows, widowers, or mothers of a deceased veteran. You must submit the appropriate veterans preference documents by the closing date to be granted preference.