Job Title:IT Specialist (Internet)
Job Announcement Number:12R-JW-298101-DEU-SERC
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Thursday, September 6, 2012 to
Friday, September 14, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Edgewater, MD, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities should apply to Job Announcement #12R-JW-298101-MPA-SERC.
The Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) is a research institute of the Smithsonian Institution dedicated to ecological and environmental research and education.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Experience: One year of full-time experience at the GS-12 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities such as applying IT principles and practices in data management and network services to manipulate scientific data for acquisition, storage, and retrieval within an agency or business; and has served in a leadership role as the recognized expert in IT issues for a medium-sized scientific or cultural organization. .Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
All applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below.
1. Attention to Detail
2. Customer Service
3. Oral Communication
4. Problem Solving
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be evaluated first for the basic qualifications described above. The applications that meet the basic qualifications will be evaluated further against the following criteria:
- Knowledge of advanced IT principles, concepts, methods, standards, and practices sufficient to provide expert technical advice, guidance, and recommendations to management, users, and other technical specialists on critical IT issues.
- Skill in applying a wide variety of applications, operating systems, protocols, and practices for troubleshooting, and improving IT systems to provide support in a manner that minimizes interruptions in users’ ability to carry out critical business activities.
- Ability to communicate orally to express information to individuals or groups effectively.
- Ability to communicate in writing to express information to individuals or groups effectively.
- Skill in applying analytical methods and practices to use sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Important Note:
Your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses to the occupational questionnaire or other assessment tool for consistency. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Your resume should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.