Basic Educational Requirements
I have successfully completed a full course of study in a school of law accredited by the American Bar Association, and have a professional law degree, i.e., a LLB, LLM or JD. (You must provide copies of your law school transcripts prior to entrance on duty.)
Yes, I am currently a member, in good standing, of the bar in a state, or the District of Columbia.
I have at least four years of Post JD legal experience.
**Bar Membership: You must submit a copy of your current membership with your application package. At the last page of the occupational questionnaire, please upload this document as "other".
**Transcripts: If you are the selectee for this position, you must submit a copy of your J.D. transcripts from an accredited law school prior to your start date.
**If applicable Veterans Documentation (DD-214 or equivalent, SF-15 and VA Letter, as appropriate).
Transcripts: If you are the selectee for this position, you must submit a copy of your J.D. transcripts from an accredited law school prior to your start date.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on foreign education.
**This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process (Excepted Service, Schedule A) and is not in the competitive service.
Conditions of Employment:
1. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this Job Announcement.
2. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
· Optional Form 306 Declaration of Federal Employment available at http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of306.pdf. This form is not required to be submitted at the time of submitting your application. However, if selected, this form will be required prior to final job offer.
3. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
4. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will be paid: No
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Recruitment incentives may be authorized: No
11. Student loan repayment incentive authorized: No
12. Annual leave for non-federal service authorized: No
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
PLEASE NOTE: This job is being filled by an alternative hiring process (Excepted Service, Schedule A) and is not in the competitive service.
If you meet the qualification requirements based on your online application and are found to be qualified you will be referred to the selecting official for further review. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position.
Notice of Veterans' Preference:
There is not a formal rating system for applying veterans' preference to attorney appointments in the Excepted Service; however, veterans' preference eligibility is a positive for attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veterans' preference must include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documentation (e.g. DD Form 214, "Certificate for Release or Discharge for Active Duty") to their submissions.
Although the point-preference system is not used, applicants to claim 10-point preference must submit a Standard Form (SF), "Application for 10-point Veteran Preference" and supporting documentation required for the specific type of preference claimed. SF 15, which list the type of 10-point preferences and the required documentation, is available from the Office of Personnel Management website at www.opm.gov.
To preview the assessment questionnaire, click the following link: View Occupational Questionnaire