In order to be considered for employment for positions in DoDEA, applicants must meet the general criteria below.
Applicants must also read the information under Position Categories and Requirements available on our web page at http://www.dodea.edu/offices/hr/categories/default.htm to find out more about specific requirements for the various DoDEA subjects/teaching fields.
1. United States (U.S.) citizenship.
2. Minimum Academic Preparation and Requirements. A baccalaureate degree from an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association is required. Academic preparation of at least 40 semester hours (SH) in general education course work distributed over such fields as English, history, social studies, mathematics, fine arts, languages, science, philosophy, and psychology is required. In addition, a minimum of 18 SH of professional teacher education course work in such areas as learning process, measurement, philosophy, psychology, social foundations, methods of teaching and curriculum applicable to the type and level of the position for which applying is required. (Note: Communications Impaired Teachers, School Nurses, and School Psychologists are excluded from the minimum academic preparation requirement.)
3. Student Teaching or an Internship. Student teaching or an internship as part of an approved teacher education program in an accredited U.S. institution is required. In the absence of an approved student teaching or internship program, applicants may be given credit for one year of successful full-time employment as an educator.
(Note: Communications Impaired Teachers, School Nurses, Guidance Counselors, and School Psychologists are excluded from the student teaching requirement.)
4. State or Territory Certification/License. In lieu of meeting the DoDEA minimum qualifications, applicants may be considered and hired based on a valid state or territory certificate or license in the subject area for which applying.
(SPECIAL NOTE: Effective January 2009, DoDEA adopted a new business process for rating teacher applications. Minimum Academic Preparation and Requirements and Information, to include State endorsements (as DoDEA determines comparable to DoDEA's teacher categories), AND official transcripts reflecting 50% of the course work in the content area, must be considered with each position, where applicable.)
5. DoDEA Licensure. There are three types of licenses issued to DoDEA employees:
- Emergency License. This license is issued only when a fully qualified, licensed applicant is not available for the position, and the position is essential to the instructional program. It is valid for one school year but is seldom used.
- Provisional License. Newly hired educators (other than those who are issued an emergency license) will be issued a Provisional License. The Provisional License is valid for two school years. Requirements for the Professional License must be completed no later than the second school year of employment.
- Professional License. Educators who have completed two years of successful teaching experience with DoDDS and meet all qualification requirements as stated in this brochure will be issued a DoDEA Professional License.
6. Testing Requirements. Applicants must submit proof of achieving DoDEA minimum scores for the required PRAXIS test(s) as stated below.
Competency Tests / Qualifying Scores
Either the PK or the PLT
Test of Professional Knowledge (PK)/ 653
Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT)
Grade Levels K-6 / 156
Grade Levels 5-9 / 153
Grade Levels 7-12 / 158
And Either CS or PPST
Test of Communication Skills (CS) / 655
Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST)**
Reading / 177 (CBT - 325)
Writing / 174 (CBT - 320)
Math / 175 (CBT - 320)
** Computer based test (CBT) scores are accepted.
Exemptions to the testing requirement:
Applicants who are fully certified by a state.
- Applicants who have completed seven (7) years or more of full-time professional teaching experience.
- Applicants for the positions of Guidance Counselors, School Psychologist, Communications Impaired Teacher, and Vocational Training Instructor are only required to take the Pre-Professional Skills Test or the Test of Communication Skills.
7. Extracurricular Activities. In addition to meeting the academic requirements, most positions require participation in extracurricular activities
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
DoDEA employs the best-qualified professional staff to implement its program of learning. Some of the special selection factors applied to determine the best-qualified and suitable applicants are below.
- Academic preparation.
- Information secured through employment references and sources.
- Recommendation from interviewer.
- Recent experience as an educator.
- Possession of personal qualifications and traits, such as stability and ability to adapt to unusual and sometimes stressful situations, which are essential for successful performance.
- Academic preparation to teach more than one subject or grade level. (Note: This flexibility is critical to meet the needs of the ever-changing population of students.)
- Special achievements or awards related to the position(s) for which being considered.
Special skills, abilities, training and experience.