Job Title:Museum Specialist
Job Announcement Number:12R-MP-297609-DEU-NMAI
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, March 19, 2012 to
Monday, April 2, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|2 vacancies in the following location:|
Suitland, MD, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities should apply to Job Announcement #12R-MP-297609-MPA-NNAI|
This position is located in The National Museum of the American Indian (NMAI), at the Cultural Resources Center (CRC), Suitland, MD. The employee assists the Collections Manager and Assistant Collections Manager in all aspects of the management, accountability, care, preservation, and use of the NMAI collection of Native ethnographic and archaeological artifacts and works of contemporary art.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Experience: One year of full-time experience at the GS-07 level related to the operation and management of a Native American museum collection performing the following duties: personally assisting staff and outside visitors to use Native American museum collections and answering reference questions; caring for, storing, building storage supports for, tracking, moving, and packing/unpacking Native American objects; pest management and environmental monitoring of a Native American museum collection; serving as a project team member in large-scale museum projects; planning and implementing small-scale departmental projects; and using museum-related computer applications, including collections information relational databases.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
Or Education: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's or equivalent degree related to the position may be substituted to meet the experience requirements. Or a Combination: Education and experience may be combined to meet the basic qualifications. For a full explanation of this option please see the Qualification Standards. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and/or proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume will be used to evaluate your experience, education, and/or training that address the competencies below:
- Knowledge of museum best practices and a wide range of concepts principles, standards, methodology, and practices related to the care, handling, storage, storage support making, tracking, packing, unpacking, internal movement, and shelving of a museum collection of Native American ethnographic, archaeological and contemporary art material.
- Knowledge of environmental monitoring procedures and equipment used in a museum setting and of pest management supplies and procedures appropriate for use on Native American contemporary art, ethnographic, and archaeological collections and within museum storage spaces.
- Knowledge of and facility with computer applications used in collections management work.
- Knowledge of Native American culture/art/history, collections-based anthropological research methods, standard Native American reference sources, and systems of cultural classification in order to provide culturally sensitive oversight to the handling and storage of collections objects, to provide relevant information to researchers, to assist visitors to the collections, and to effectively use collections information system.
- Ability to provide one-on-one personal customer service and effectively communicate orally with varied audiences in a museum setting.
- Ability to serve on large-scale project teams and plan and implement small-scale projects.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position.
Important Note: The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.