Job Title:Transportation Security Officer (TSO)
Department:Department Of Homeland Security
Agency:Transportation Security Administration
Hiring Organization:DHS - Transportation Security Administration
Job Announcement Number:SAT-F09-P001
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, February 24, 2012 to
Monday, March 12, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|MANY vacancies -
San Antonio, TXView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Open to All U.S. Citizens and U.S. Nationals|
For further information concerning U.S. citizenship, please Click Here.
For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please Click Here.
This position is located at San Antonio International Airport in San Antonio, Texas.
**TSA may apply a gender-specific (male or female) hiring preference to fill TSO positions in order to meet security mission and same gender pat-down job-related requirements. At airport locations where it is necessary to apply the hiring preference, candidates of the needed gender will be provided preference in the scheduling of the computer based aptitude test, airport assessments, processing and selection.**
***At this time, this airport is only seeking qualified female candidates to meet mission related staffing needs. The applications of male candidates will be accepted but not considered until staffing needs change.***
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Securing Travel, Protecting People -At the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), you will serve in a high-stakes environment to safeguard the American way of life. In cities, towns, and country-sides across the nation, you will be on the front line of the Department of Homeland Security's TSA team as they secure airports, seaports, railroads, highways, and public transit systems, thus protecting our transportation infrastructure and ensuring freedom of movement for people and commerce. For additional information about our agency, please Click Here.
Realistic Job Preview: The Realistic Job Preview gives you an honest, objective and vivid portrait of what it means to work as a Transportation Security Officer (TSO). Many TSO applicants are not aware of the real requirements of the job. The Realistic Job Preview provides employee testimonies about both the good and the challenging aspects of being a TSO.
To view the Transportation Security Officer (TSO) Realistic Job Preview video, please Click Here.
Salary Information: The salary range listed includes locality pay of 14.16%, and reflects the salary range for a full-time position. However, salaries for part-time positions will be pro-rated based upon the actual number of hours worked. Starting a career with TSA as a TSO may lead to promotion possibilities within DHS.
Please Note: This Job Opportunity Announcement is being used to fill positions at this airport location only. If you are interested in a different airport location, you will need to apply to a job opportunity announcement for that specific location when advertised.
- Pass a background investigation including a credit and criminal check
- Pass a Drug Screening and Medical Evaluation
- No default on $7,500 or more in delinquent debt (but for some bankruptcies)
- No delinquent Federal or State taxes or past due child support payments
- Selective Service registration required
DUTIES:Back to top
This position is located at San Antonio International Airport in San Antonio, Texas.
Transportation Security Officers (TSOs) provide security and protection of air travelers, airports and aircraft in a courteous and professional manner. This includes:
- Operating screening equipment to identify dangerous objects in baggage, cargo and on passengers, and preventing those objects from being transported onto aircraft;
- Performing searches, to include hand-wand and pat-down searches;
- Controlling terminal entry and exit points;
- Interacting with the public, giving directions and responding to inquiries;
- Maintaining focus and awareness while working in a stressful environment which includes noise from alarms, machinery and people, crowd distractions, time pressure, and disruptive and angry passengers, in order to preserve the professional ability to identify and locate potentially life threatening or mass destruction devices, and to make effective decisions in both crisis and routine situations.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants must meet these qualifications in order to be further evaluated in the TSO hiring process:
- Be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. National at time of application submission;
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of application submission;
- Be proficient in the English language (i.e., able to read, write, speak, and listen);
- Have a high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED) credential OR at least one year of full-time work experience in the security industry, aviation screening, or as an X-ray technician.
The qualification requirements listed above must be met at the time of application submission.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you may be invited to take a Computer Based Test (CBT) to confirm English language proficiency and evaluate x-ray interpretation aptitude. Upon passing the CBT, you will be eligible to be scheduled for additional assessments, which include: (1) a color vision test; (2) a structured interview to determine, among other qualities, your decision making skill and your ability to work with teams and the general public; (3) a drug screening; and (4) a job related medical evaluation that includes a vision exam, hearing exam, and adequate joint mobility exam (in part to determine the physical potential to repeatedly lift and/or carry up to 70 pounds, to stand between one to four hours without a break, and to walk up to two miles during a shift). Upon passing these assessments, you will be subject to a pre-hire background investigation. Based upon passing the pre-hire background investigation and a qualitative evaluation of the criteria above, you will be placed in one of the following categories:
Best Qualified: Applicants demonstrating a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
Highly Qualified: Applicants demonstrating a more than satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
Qualified: Applicants demonstrating minimal or basic satisfactory qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
For more information on TSO eligibility standards and background requirements, please Click Here.
For more information on TSO medical requirements, please Click Here.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Applications will be accepted on-line until 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard/Daylight Time on the closing date of the job opportunity announcement. However, if a sufficient number of applications are received, the announcement may be closed before the published application deadline.
Therefore, applicants are strongly encouraged to promptly apply on-line and in advance of the announcement closing date.Application Steps:
To submit your application on-line:
- Step #1: Click the "Apply On-line" button;
- Step #2: Enter information into the resume fields and follow the process outlined in USAJOBS for creating and submitting your USAJOBS resume;
- Step #3: Submit any required supporting documentation. Please ensure you have included the Required Documents listed below, if applicable.
If you do not have access to a computer and you are unable to apply on-line, please contact the TSA-HRAccess Help Desk, at 1-877-872-7990 or TTY 1-877-872-7992.
An "Employment Packet" will be sent to you via mail which must be completed and returned no later than the closing date (Eastern Standard/Daylight Time) of the job opportunity announcement. If you do have access to email but still cannot apply on-line, you may contact the TSA-HRAccess Help Desk by email at: Helpdesk@tsa-hraccess.com, to request that the "Employment Packet" be sent to you.
- A copy of your Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Member 4 copy), or other proof of entitlement for Veterans' Preference;
- If you are claiming 10-Point Veterans' Preference based upon a compensable disability, a widow or spouse entitlement, or as a Purple Heart recipient, Form SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference, is required. To access this form, please Click Here. Also required is any documentation that supports your claim (e.g., Department of Veterans Affairs letter dated 1991 or later). Please refer to the SF-15 form to determine what documentation is required.
- A copy of your most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) if you are a current or former Federal employee. Current or former U.S. Postal Service employees should submit a copy of their Notification of Personnel Action (PS-50).
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
After applying, you will be notified of your status by e-mail. You will also receive instruction on how to monitor your application status on-line via the TSA Candidate Dashboard. Because some systems may re-direct TSA emails away from your Inbox, please be sure to also check your junk and spam email folders on a regular basis for emails that may contain important information regarding your application status and specific instructions about the hiring process.
In order to help prevent these important messages from being automatically removed from your inbox, you may also want to consider adding the following two e-mail addresses to your contact list: 1) email@example.com, and 2) HelpDesk@TSA-HRAccess.com.
To render a final decision regarding your qualification for selection, several assessments are required, each of which may vary in length of time to schedule and successfully complete, and several of which may be dependent on you for submitting information as requested.