Job Title:Supervisory Seed Marketing Specialist (Regulatory)
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Agricultural Marketing Service
Hiring Organization:Marketing & Regulatory Programs
Job Announcement Number:24LS-2012-0004
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, November 7, 2011 to
Monday, November 21, 2011|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy -
Gastonia, NCView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply with a separate application to Merit Promotion vacancy announcement #6LS-2012-0004. For information on viewing Merit Promotion announcements, click Locating a Status Position on USAJOBS.)|
The Seed Regulatory and Testing (SR&T) Branch conducts a program regulating the marketing of agricultural and vegetable seeds in interstate commerce and provide service tests of seed samples (fee basis) under the Agricultural Marketing Act 1946. You will serve as Branch Chief and Supervise the conduct of the program.
***Position is located in Gastonia, North Carolina; Gaston County***
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Policy and Program Formulation: formulates and conducts policies and programs related to the development of legislation, regulations and directives for administration of the Federal Seed Act.
- Program Direction: Directs and coordinates the execution of operational plans relating to the administration of the Federal Seed Act.
- Federal Seed Act Enforcement: Plans and directs the overall sampling, testing and investigation of interstate seed shipment which appear to be mislabeled, encompassing more than 250 kind of agricultural and vegetable seed.
- Testing: Directs under the Agricultural Marketing Act of 1946, the inspection, testing and issuance of certificates of quality for seed.
- Industry and Other Relationships: Establishes and maintains contact with State seed officials, seeds men, producers and consumer groups, seed certification officials, plant breeders and other crop scientists to evaluate the impact of the program on the industry and the public and to direct Federal State cooperative enforcement activities to ensure compliance with the federal Seed Act.
- Legislation and Enabling Regulations: Develops and recommends amendments to laws and the regulations pertinent to program operations which will promote the more orderly marketing of seeds.
- Administrative and Financial Management: Responsible for carrying out operations relating to budget, fiscal, personnel and other administrative services affecting the programs of the SR&T Branch.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)/ Civil Rights (CR): Adheres to (EEO/CR) policies, goals and objectives in performing the duties of this position. Assures that written and oral communications are bias-free and that differences of other employees and clients are respected and valued.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the experience requirements specified below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-14 GRADE LEVEL:
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors.
Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
THERE IS NO EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION FOR THE GS-14 GRADE LEVEL.
- Knowledge of policy and program formulation.
- Ability to direct and coordinate the execution of operational plans relating to the administration of the Federal Seed Act.
- Skill in conducting investigations and providing technical directions in seed testing and marketing control.
- Skill in administrative and financial management.
- Skill in developing long-range planning in connection with changes in program and making adjustments in the functions of an office.
- Knowledge of supervisory and leadership techniques in order to plan, organize, and manage resources and subordinates in accordance with Agency and Departmental regulations.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in order to develop instructions, procedures, recommendations, brief management, and report s on a variety of complex issues.
Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.If you are appointed to a supervisory or managerial position, you may be required to complete a one year supervisory/managerial probationary period.Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period. In accordance with Office of Government Ethics regulations concerning conflict of interest, the incumbent of this position will be required to submit a financial disclosure report within 30 days of their effective date of appointment and annually thereafter.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Communication Skills - Interpersonal, Oral and Written - Communicate with a wide variety of interested parties that include employees, Senior management, industry groups, foreign government officials and consumers on complex and often controversial topics related to seed testing.
- Project Management, Leadership, Supervisory and Decision Making - Responsible for the overall supervision and management of 22 employees, seed laboratory technical activities and a $4 million annual budget. Incumbent must provide leadership in developing and revising seed testing protocols.
- General Agricultural Marketing Skills: Must understand the marketing or agricultural products and the seed trade.
- Specifications and Standards: Responsible for ensuring standards and specifications are current and reflect industry needs. Must develop and implement new standards and specifications and testing protocols as required.
- Regulatory Enforcement: Responsible for the enforcement of the Federal Seed Act and related requirements.
- Research: Responsible for conducting research as necessary to develop and implement new standards, specifications and testing protocols and document results.
- Seed Commodity: Must have extensive knowledge and experience in the seed trade to oversee enforcement activities and laboratory operations related to the Federal Seed Act.
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.