Job Title:Computer Scientist
Department:Department of the Navy
Agency:Naval Sea Systems Command
Job Announcement Number:NE11550-040545275LX181956
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, October 21, 2011 to
Monday, November 21, 2011|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|Many vacancies -
Newport, RI United StatesView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|United States Citizens|
Discover a civilian career with the U.S. Department of the Navy that is filled with possibilities and be a part of something that makes a difference for you, the country, and the world.
Computer scientists in the Federal service develop new and improved concepts, principles, and techniques that will advance the body of knowledge of computer science, and adapt and apply advanced computer science methods and techniques to solve complex computer processing requirements.
This position is located in Newport, Rhode Island.
- If claiming Veterans Preference you must attach the supporting documents
- This vacancy announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
- Provide a copy of your transcripts with your name.
- PCS/Relocation costs may or may not be authorized.
DUTIES:Back to top
Develop software systems using a knowledge of techniques, procedures, and processes such as operating system theory, data structures, computer system architecture, Software engineering, and computer communications.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
THIS POSITION HAS A POSITIVE EDUCATION REQUIREMENT. Applicants must meet the basic education requirements in order to be minimally qualified for the position.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or bachelor's degree with 30 semester hours in a combination of mathematics, statistics, and computer science. At least 15 of the 30 semester hours must have included any combination of statistics and mathematics that included differential and integral calculus. All academic degrees and course work must be from accredited or pre-accredited institutions
Please visit this website for the basic qualification requirement for this position
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the qualification requirements if the applicant can provide documentation indicating that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide such evidence when applying.
- Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- A security clearance is a requirement of this position. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal.
- Position may require occasional travel
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The rating you receive is based on the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required to perform the duties of this position.
Knowledge of basic theories, concepts, and principles of computer science.
Knowledge of mathematics and statistical sciences.
Skill in applying the theoretical foundations of computer science.
Ability to present technical written material.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Résumé
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below)
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on Monday, November 21, 2011
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the occupational questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button at the end of the process.
To fax supporting documents you are unable to upload, complete this cover page http://staffing.opm.gov/pdf/usascover.pdf using the following Vacancy ID 545275. Fax your documents to 1-478-757-3144.
If you cannot apply online:
1. Click the following link to view and print the occupational questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire
2. Print this 1203FX form to provide your response to the occupational questionnaire http://www.opm.gov./forms/pdf_fill/OPM1203fx.pdf. and
3. Fax the completed 1203FX form along with any supporting documents to 1-478-757-3144. Your 1203FX will serve as a cover page for your fax transmission.
QUESTIONNAIRE: View Occupational Questionnaire
- Occupational Questionnaire
- Transcript - A COMPLETE COPY OF YOUR TRANSCRIPT OR AN ITEMIZED LIST OF COLLEGE COURSES WHICH INCLUDES EQUIVALENT INFORMATION FROM THE TRANSCRIPT (Course title, semester/quarter hours and grade). Education must be from an educational institution accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- VETERAN'S PREFERENCE http://www.fedshirevets.gov/index.aspx
- If you are claiming a 5-point preference you must submit a copy of your DD-214, which includes character of service, or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service, which includes service dates, nature of separation and character of service. You can access to your DD-214 here.
- If you are claiming a 10-point preference you must submit a copy of your DD-214, which includes character of service, your Disability Letter indicating the percentage of your disability and the SF-15 )Application for 10-point preference), which can be obtained here. NOTE: You will not receive veterans preference for this announcement if you fail to provide any of the documents mentioned above.
Include the 6 character Vacancy Identification Number 545275
Missing application information will not be requested.
Statements concerning qualifications are subject to verification. Exaggeration or misstatement may be cause for your disqualification or later removal from your position.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You will receive notifications through e-mail and Application Manager as the recruitment process progresses. If your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly by that office for a possible interview.