Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including time-in-grade restrictions, specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
Current federal employees applying for a promotion opportunity must meet time-in-grade (TIG) requirement of 52 weeks of service at the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the position being filled.
FOR THE GS-09 LEVEL:
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-07 level) of hands on grading in fruit or vegetables that demonstrates:
- Independently grades and/or inspects fresh and processed fruits, vegetables and related products, including difficult assignments on rare or unusual products.
- Performs the full range of grading and/or inspection tasks involved in directly supplying grading services to producers or members of the trade.
- Inspects products for compliance with all types of contract specifications and recognizes all but the extremely rare product defects or diseases.
- Makes, explains, or defends nearly all grade and/or inspection determinations, only rarely requiring technical assistance in borderline cases.
- Inspects or evaluates complicated processing equipment and procedures, and conditions of storage or transportation, such as is typical of most processed products production, and advises industry employees on product quality control procedures.
Must have a master's or equivalent graduate degree in Agriculture, Mathematics, Engineering, Economics, Business, Science or related field; or two full years (36 semester hours) of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
- This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-09 GRADE LEVEL: must have a combination of work experience and education as described above which when combined equals to 100% of the requirement. First determine your qualifying experience as a percentage of the experience required for the grade level listed above; then determine your education as a percentage of the education required for the grade level listed above; and then add the two percentages. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify. Only graduate education in excess of one year (i.e., 18 semester hours) may be combined with experience under this standard.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.