This vacancy announcement is being advertised in conjunction with a Virtual Career Fair Recruiting event. Please see "How to Apply".Learn more about this agency
This position is with the AMS, Commodity Procurement Program, Marine Debt and Finance Branch. You will serve as an Agricultural Marketing Specialist with a primary function of analyzing transportation and commodity losses and damages, determining liability, establishing and pursuing debts and claims.
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Reviews and finalizes actions on debts by and against the Commodity Credit Corporation (CCC).
- Develops, examines, and analyzes transportation loss and damage claims that arise from the shipment of agricultural commodities by rail, internodal, truck, barge, and ocean.
- Reviews and takes action on contract disputes against vendors when their products do not meet contract specifications or when products are not properly blocked and braced for shipment.
- Reviews and acts on loss/damage of agricultural products by warehouses.
- Requests investigations by the Office of Investigation upon learning of the possible existence of criminal or civil fraud violations.
- Ensures that debts are properly recorded in the applicable system(s).
- Monitors vendors and warehouses that provide and store agricultural commodities.
- Researches a large number of documents to determine liability for losses.
- Determines amounts due under contracts, writes findings of facts for Contracting Officers, and assists in analyzing settlement offers received for cases falling under the Claims Disputes Act.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a US Citizen or US National.
- Individuals who were born male after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt.
- Satisfactory Background investigation and/or fingerprint check.
- Direct Deposit: Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit https://www.e-verify.gov/
QualificationsTo qualify, you MUST meet all program and qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
To be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following requirements;
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two (2) years.
- Individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period described above shall have a full 2-year period of eligibility upon release or discharge from active duty. This eligibility period cannot extend more than 6 years from the date on which the requirements for the academic course of study were met.
Applicants must meet the following specialized experience and/or education requirements listed below:
FOR THE GS-07 LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-05 level) that may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors which demonstrates:
- Experience reading, interpreting, and applying regulations and standard operating procedures.
- Experience multi-tasking and working several assignments at the same time.
- Experienced in applying analytical and evaluative methods.
- Experience utilizing effective written and oral skills.
OR; Superior Academic Achievement: To qualify based on superior academic achievement, you must have completed the requirements for a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution AND must meet certain GPA requirements. For more details click: Superior Academic Achievement
Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
FOR THE GS-09 LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience (equivalent to the GS-07 level) that may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors which demonstrates:
- Experience making liability determinations in cases where there are many variables and competing interests.
- Experience writing documentation defending case decisions/determinations.
- Experienced in applying analytical and evaluative methods to cases concerning debts and financial liability.
- Experience with transportation and/or distribution of commodities.
OR; LL.B. or J.D. if related.Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
TRANSCRIPTS ARE REQUIRED.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-07/09 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify an applicant for that grade level. Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed graduate education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify an applicant for that grade level.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Please see above for education qualification requirement information.
Transcripts including the date your degree was conferred or program was completed are required. Applications will not be considered without this documentation.
- Recent Graduate appointments are intended to last for 1 year. Recent Graduates who satisfactorily complete all the USDA Recent Graduates Program requirements may be non-competitively converted to a Term or Permanent appointment in the competitive service. Conversion is not guaranteed. Recent Graduates converted to Term appointments may later be non-competitively converted to a Permanent competitive service position.
- If selected, official transcripts will be required prior to entrance on duty.
- A Pathways Participant Agreement will be required if you are selected for a position. The agreement must be signed by all applicable parties prior to entrance on duty.
- First time hires to the federal government normally start at the lowest rate of the salary range for the grade selected.
- This position may be eligible to telework up to four days per week, based upon the duties of the position. This position may also be eligible for flexible work arrangements as determined by agency policy and any applicable collective bargaining agreements.
- Locality pay will vary based upon the selectee's duty location. A final salary determination will be made upon selection.
- Promotion Potential: If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you will be placed under a career development plan, and may be non-competitively promoted if you successfully complete the requirements and if recommended by management. However, promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
- Selection will be at GS-1146-07/09 with the possibility of conversion to a term or permanent Agricultural Marketing Specialist, GS-1146-07/09, with promotion potential to the GS-12 level. Conversion eligibility and position is not guaranteed and depends upon the program unit's needs.
- Successfully complete at least 1-year of continuous service in addition to all requirements of the Program as outlined in the Participant Agreement.
- Demonstrate successful job performance.
- Meet the qualifications for the position to which the Recent Graduate will be converted.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements of the Recent Graduates program and the basic qualification requirements established for the position will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Category placement will be determined based on applicants' quality of experience and the extent they possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA) or competencies:
- Agricultural Commodity Distribution
- Agricultural Marketing
If you have reviewed the announcement and believe that you meet both the minimum qualifications and the program requirements, you should document your experience and education in your resume. Since traditional resumes do not always provide all the information needed to determine your status, you should create a more detailed resume to use when applying to Federal positions. Your resume should include:
- Type of degree and date it was received or is expected to be received
- Statement of U.S. citizenship
- Job announcement number
- Work and/or volunteer experience including employment dates, hours worked per week, salary and supervisor information
- Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, permanent address, contact phone number and email address.
To preview the application questionnaire, please visit: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11230031
The following documents are required for your applicant package to be complete. Our office cannot be responsible for incompatible software, your system failure or downtime, etc. Encrypted documents will not be accepted. Failure to submit required, legible documents may result in loss of consideration.
- Resume that includes:1) personal information such as name, address, contact information; 2) education; 3) detailed work experience related to this position as described in the major duties including work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment; title, series, grade (if applicable); 4) other qualifications; and 5) supervisors name and phone number for each work period listed and whether or not they may be contacted for reference checks.
- College Transcripts: You MUST submit a copy of your college transcripts. An unofficial copy is sufficient with the application; however, if you are selected, you will be required to submit official transcripts prior to entering on duty. Education must have been successfully obtained from an accredited school, college or university. If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, visit the following: Foreign Education Evaluation. All transcripts must be in English or include an English translation.
- If claiming veterans' preference, you must submit a DD214, Certificate of Release from Active Duty, which shows dates of service and discharge under honorable conditions. If currently on active duty you must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty service under honorable conditions within 120 days after the date the certification is submitted. The certification must be on the letterhead of the appropriate military branch and include the dates of military service. Veterans' preference must be verified prior to appointment. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference and your application will be evaluated based on the material(s) submitted.
- If claiming 10-point veterans' preference you MUST provide the DD214 or certification requirements (see above bullet), PLUS the proof of entitlement of this preference as listed on the SF-15 Application for 10-point Veterans' Preference. The SF-15 should be included but is not required. Failure to submit these documents could result in the determination that there is insufficient documentation to support your claim for 10-point preference. For more information on veterans' preference visit FEDSHIREVETS
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Please read the entire announcement and all instructions before you begin. The following instructions outline our application process for this announcement.
- The Agricultural Marketing Service will be at the following website: https://www.ncat.edu/provost/career-services/student-cflist.php for the North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University Virtual Career Fair. This is a vacancy announcement for one of several positions that will be available during the event which are in various locations across the organization. You will be able to register for the Virtual event to speak live with Agricultural Marketing Service personnel.
- The Virtual Event is on 9/15/21, from 12 pm - 4 pm (Eastern Time). The Event will be done via Handshake.
- ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED THROUGH USA JOBS VIA THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT.
- You must complete this application process and submit all required documents electronically by 11:59p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
- This agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on an as-needed basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
- AMS conducts hiring events such as this one throughout the year as part of our overall recruitment strategy. We will announce additional Pathways job opportunities in the future. You are encouraged to monitor USAJOBS for future vacancy announcements.
- What to expect next: After the conclusion of the event and deadline for alternative submission, your application package will be reviewed to verify that you meet the qualification and eligibility requirements for the position. Qualified veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans. You will be notified if you are referred to the selecting official for consideration, and then if you were selected or not selected. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
Step 1: Create a USAJOBS account (if you do not already have one) at www.usajobs.gov. It is recommended that as part of your profile you set up automatic email notification to be informed when the status of your application changes. If you choose not to set up this automatic notification, then you will have to log into your USAJOBS account to check on the status of your application.
Step 2: Create a Resume with USAJOBS or upload a Resume into your USAJOBS account. You may want to customize your resume to ensure it documents duties and accomplishments you have gained that are directly related to this position in order to verify that qualifications are met. In addition, your resume must support your responses to the online questionnaire (you may preview the online questionnaire by clicking on the link at the end of the How You Will Be Evaluated section of the job announcement).
Step 3: Click "Apply Online" and follow the prompts to complete the Occupational Questionnaire and attach any additional documents that may be required. You can update your application or documents anytime while the announcement is open. Simply log into your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Update Application" to continue.
NOTE: If a document is resubmitted, it replaces the previous submission, which means the previous document is no longer available to the Human Resources Office. If you are adding to, rather than replacing a previous submission, you must upload both the old document and the new document. You must verify that uploaded documents from USAJOBS transfer into the Agency's staffing system as there is a limitation to the number of documents that can be transferred. However, once in the Agency's staffing system, you will have the opportunity to upload additional documents. Applicants may combine all like required documents (e.g. SF-50s or veteran docs) into one or more files and scan for uploading into the application. Each file must not exceed 5MB. Grouping like documents into files will simplify the application process. Documents must be in one of the following formats: GIF, JPEG, JPG, PDF, PNG, RTF, or Word (DOC or DOCX). Uploaded documents may not require a password, digital signature, or other encryption to open.
Agency contact information
APHIS Human Resources
AddressAgricultural Marketing Service
USDA APHIS MRPBS
250 Marquette Avenue, Suite 410
Minneapolis, MN 55401
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
Your application will be reviewed to verify that you meet the eligibility and qualification requirements for the position prior to issuing referral lists to the selecting official. If further evaluation or interviews are required, you will be contacted.
Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613776100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.