Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to designed to enhance and develop the career broadener's
leadership enduring competencies, technical occupational competencies, and business skills while gaining operational experience and unique mission based perspective serving in a Joint Combatant Command (COCOM) HQ.
- Performs Career-Broadening assignments designed to enhance and develop leadership competencies and business skills in the civil engineer functional community.
- Performs career-broadening assignments involved in program development and evaluation
- Carries out special projects and assignments designed specifically to meet the broadening intent of the position.
- Represents the COCOM and serves as a member of various internal and external boards / working groups to include cross service.
- Develops and provides expertise on developments within the Air Force Civil Engineer functional area and provides related consultant and advisor services to the Command
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Mobility agreement must be signed
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance
- PCS travel expenses will be paid IAW JTR and AFMAN 36-606
- PCS cost will be paid IAW Career Broadening Policy under this agreement.
- Career Broadening positions are managed by AFPC/DP2Z and are centrally funded.
- Positions are established specifically to provide developmental experience designed to broaden the skills and/or enhance the leadership perspective of a high-potential, mid-level manager.
- Career Broadening also provides training and developmental opportunities at various organizational levels.
- These assignments offer the qualified candidate a unique assignment in that the candidates brings certain experience to the assignment while gaining new experiences in a different work environment
- TEMPORARY PROMOTION: If the position is filled as a temporary promotion, upon completion of the career broadening assignment, the temporary promotion may lead to permanent promotion without further competition
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Travel by regularly scheduled commercial or military conveyances IAW Joint Travel Regulations may be required in performance of TDY
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
QualificationsIn order to qualify, you must meet the specialized experience requirements described in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions,
Basic Requirement for GS-0801 General Engineer: A Bachelor's degree (or higher degree) in Engineering. To be acceptable, the program must: (1) lead to a bachelor's degree in a school of engineering with at least one program accredited by ABET; or (2) include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
Combination of Education and Experience: College-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. Click here to view occupational requirements for this position.
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience for GS-0801-13 which includes expert, unique, complex, and thorough knowledge, expertise in civil engineering principles and practices to solve strategic direction and engineering and architectural theories. Mastery knowledge of Congressional, DoD, Joint, and USAF structures, missions, programs, policies and organizational relationships to facilitate effective advancement of Air Force capabilities. Mastery of advanced management and organizational principles and practices, and a comprehensive knowledge of planning, programming, and applies professional Engineer knowledge in the planning, research, design, development, test, evaluation, integration, acquisition, dissemination, sustainment, modification, and/or exploitation of highly complex electronic systems to support the Air Force's mission objectives. Extensive knowledge of a broad range of problem solving methods, practices, and techniques used to determine viable approaches and solutions in communicating new concepts, goals, and objectives, including Air Force Service Development and Delivery Process and Business Process Re-engineering. Comprehensive ability to conceive, plan, and manage all aspects of a unique program or project of broad scope impacting a critical OSD Program. Reviews and analyzes programs, plans, and current issues to determine specific actions and/or recommendations that will result in the best interests of the Air Force Civil Engineering Industrial Control System and Cybersecurity Engineering. Expert interpersonal and communicative skills including written and verbal communications that facilitate formal public speaking, negotiation, and persuasion of individuals with competing or conflicting interests. This includes sensitivity to many divergent viewpoints and an appreciation of the political realities framing financial management decisions
FEDERAL TIME-IN-GRADE (TIG) REQUIREMENT FOR GENERAL SCHEDULE (GS) POSITIONS: Applicants must have served at least 52 weeks at the GS-13 or higher grade (or equivalent in an alternate pay system) within the Federal Civil Service to be considered for referral. TIG applies if you are in a current GS position or held a GS position within the previous 52 weeks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas:
- Knowledge and mastery of professional engineering principles, theories, procedures, and applications and skill in using those principles and applications to meet mission requirements.
- Knowledge and mastery of a broad range of methods, techniques, and processes used in Air Force Civil Engineering and the ability to integrate asset management, project / program management, planning, and acquisition in the following fields: Real Estate, Environmental, Installation Management / Planning, Facilities Operations, or Engineering / Architecture.
- Knowledge of the AF Corporate Structure, Federal Planning, Programming, and Budgeting System and acquisition processes and contracting provisions.
- Skill in evaluating state-of-the-art technologies and incorporating these into the planning or design, budgeting, programming, life cycle, operation, maintenance, repair, upgrade, and cost estimates of installations natural and built infrastructure.
- Ability to gather, assemble, and analyze facts, draw conclusions, conduct analysis, devise recommended solutions, and package the entire process in briefings, papers, or reports suitable for top management use and decision making.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to negotiate complex issues and maintain good working relations.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
PCS restrictions: An employee selected to make a PCS to a Career Broadening assignment is restricted from making a second PCS for 12 months
Defense National Relocation Program is Authorized
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours to provide direct support to leadership,
conferences, or special initiatives or programs related to the COCOM mission.
Employee must be able to obtain and maintain a TOP SECRET/SCI Eligible security clearance as a condition of employment.
Employee may be required to travel TDY to perform assigned duties on commercial or military aircraft.
Mobility is a condition of employment. Employee must sign AF-wide mobility agreement.
The position is designated by the Air Force as a Test Designated Position (TDP) under the Air Force Civilian Drug Testing Program. As a mandatory requirement for employment in this TDP, the incumbent is (A) to refrain from illegal drugs and (B) is requested to submit to urinalyses testing. The selectee must sign a statement acknowledging the position occupied as identified a TDP.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 11227910
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
Tax Law Impact for PCS: On 22-Dec-2017, Public Law 115-97 - the "Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017" suspended qualified moving expense deductions along with the exclusion for employer reimbursements and payments of moving expenses effective 01-Jan-2018 for tax years 2018 through 2025. The law made taxable certain reimbursements and other payments, including driving mileage, airfare and lodging expenses, en-route travel to the new duty station, and temporary storage of those items. The Federal Travel Regulation Bulletin (FTR) 18-05 issued by General Services Administration (GSA) has authorized agencies to use the Withholding Tax Allowance (WTA) and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) to pay for "substantially all" of the increased tax liability resulting from the "2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act" for certain eligible individuals. For additional information on WTA/RITA allowances and eligibilities please click here. Subsequently, FTR Bulletin 20-04 issued by GSA, provides further information regarding NDAA FY2020, Public Law 116-92, and the expansion of eligibility beyond "transferred" for WTA/RITA allowances. For additional information, please click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who meet the requirements for and apply as a non-competitive eligible that meet minimal qualifications and other requirements of this position, will be given consideration as a non-competitive candidate and will be referred unless blocked by an individual with priority/preference.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
APPRAISALS/AWARDS: Hiring Managers use objective methods and consider previous performance appraisals and awards in the selection process. Current Federal Civilian employees should list any relevant performance related rating and/or awards in your resume.
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Applicants who do not submit required documentation to determine eligibility and qualifications will be eliminated from consideration. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application: Questionnaire
- Resume: For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week (if part-time) and dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Current Federal Civilian Employees should list any relevant performance related rating (given within the last three years) and/or incentive awards in your resume. Do NOT include photographs (or links to social media such as LinkedIn), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, nor personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., on your resume.
- Current or Former Federal Civilian Employees (includes current Air Force employees): You must submit a legible copy of a SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action. The SF-50, block 24 must contain "1" or "2" AND block 34 must be a "1". Employees eligible under an OPM approved interchange agreement, block 34 may contain a "1" or "2".
- Promotion Consideration: If you wish to be considered as a promotion candidate and your SF-50 has an effective date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you meet the one-year time-in-grade requirements. You will need to provide additional SF-50s which clearly demonstrates you meet the time-in-grade requirements (examples of appropriate SF-50s include Promotions, Within-Grade, Grade/Range Increases, and SF-50s with an effective date more than one year old).
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 10/06/2021.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11227910
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week (if part-time) and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Career Broadening Office
AddressAF Career Broadeners
550 C Street W
JBSA Randolph AFB, TX 78150
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
Eligible applicants: Air Force Employee (Current Permanent Competitive Service Career/Career-Conditional Employee and Current Permanent AF DCIPS Employees with Reinstatement Rights to the Competitive Service)
Area of Consideration is limited to current permanent internal Air Force employees in the Civil Engineering (CE) career fields ; all other candidates will be outside the area of consideration.
This assignment is temporary and limited in duration to 36 months. This vacancy announcement is for one formal career broadening opportunity in the Civil Engineering Career Field. The organizational location of this position is USN INDOPACOM/PCJ4, JB PRL HBR-HICKAM ABS HI.
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613519600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.