The USPS OIG is seeking a highly qualified applicant to fill our Deputy Assistant Inspector General (DAIG) position for the Research and Insights Solution Center (RISC) located in Arlington, Virginia.Learn more about this agency
As the principal advisor to the Assistant Inspector General (AIG) for the Research and Insights Solution Center (RISC), the Deputy Assistant Inspector General (DAIG) will be responsible for overseeing personnel, optimizing resources, and providing strategic direction and influence over several analytics, research, and operational support directorates.
Candidates will be evaluated on the skills that they possess that are directly related to the duties of the position and the experience, education and training that indicate the applicant's ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position. Only those candidates who meet all qualification and eligibility requirements and who submit the required information by 11:59 PM EST on 09/24/2021 will be considered.
The USPS OIG uses a Pay Banding system, which is equivalent to the Federal GS scale. Grade and salary determinations will be made based upon a candidate's education and professional experience.
This position is being advertised at the IGES Band level, equivalent to the Senior Executive Service (SES). The salary range for this position is $132,552.00 - $199,300.00.
Please note that the duties and responsibilities associated with this position may vary based upon the agency's needs at the time of hire. The following description of major duties and responsibilities is only intended to give applicants a general overview of the expectations.
Areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to:
- Addresses key issues impacting RISC, including organizational, operational, economic, strategic, technological, and administrative factors.
- Oversees RISC program planning and evaluation activities by establishing (1) long-range planning in connection with prospective changes in functions and programs; (2) periodic and comprehensive evaluation of program goals and objectives; and (3) adjustments or redefinitions of broad objectives.
- Formulates recommendations on organizational improvements, to include (1) assessing the need for changes in organizational structure and/or delegated authority; (2) recommending measures for improving coordination among subordinate units and components; and (3) establishing processes and control measures needed to provide support to leadership and/or management.
- Addresses employees' developmental needs by providing opportunities which maximize employees' capabilities and contribute to the achievement of organizational goals, while also developing the management team through coaching and mentoring.
- Provides leadership in setting the expected performance levels of the workforce commensurate with RISC's strategic objectives, to include promoting quality through effective use of the OIG's performance management system.
- Oversees the allocation of RISC financial resources, budgetary process, procurement and contracting processes, and staffing needs.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be able to pass a drug screening and medical assessment questionnaire.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Top Secret security clearance
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a government-issued credit card
- May be required to successfully complete a 12-month probationary period
You must meet ALL of the minimum qualifications listed below.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Must have at least 7 years of specialized experience in planning, organizing, and managing large-scale or complex projects and programs.
- Must have at least 5 years of experience as a manager/supervisor responsible for establishing work plans and/or directly supervising a staff.
- Must have at least 2 years of specialized experience at the equivalent (GS-15) Director Band Level.
- Professional Certification(s) in the areas of data, analytics, project management, auditing, research, or other relevant disciplines.
- Advanced Degree from an accredited college or university.
You must have the experience, knowledge and skills as listed in EACH of the evaluation factors. Failure to demonstrate that you meet all of the evaluation factor requirements as listed below will result in a score of zero (0); an ineligible status, and you will not be referred for further consideration. Include your major accomplishments relevant to the position requirements in your resume.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, with executive level officials, senior managers, external stakeholders, and audiences in a clear and logical manner, discussing products that are meaningful, compelling, and relevant to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to lead teams and coach personnel to exercise independent professional judgment and critical thinking skills when conducting research, inspections and evaluations, to form objective conclusions/recommendations based on empirical facts, qualitative and quantitative data, evidence, and other pertinent information to address complex and multi-faceted issues.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to facilitate and implement best practices in data management/data analytics across the data lifecycle or analytics project; and to think strategically and solve complex problems regarding the application of data to data-driven decision-making; including familiarity with data governance, data security, data analytics, and big data methods.
You will no longer be considered for this position if you receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor.
Failure to demonstrate that you meet all evaluation factor requirements will result in a score of zero (0). Upon receipt of a zero score, you will be deemed "not minimally qualified," and you will not be referred for further consideration.
Education must be accredited by an institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation here: www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred. Special Instructions for Candidates with Foreign Education: Education completed outside the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in U.S. education programs. You must submit all necessary documents to a private U.S. credential evaluation service to interpret equivalency of your education against courses given in U.S. accredited colleges and universities. For further information visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the USPS OIG. We offer a broad array of benefits programs:
Health, Dental, Vision, Life and Long Term Care Insurances with Flexible Spending options.
For more information about these programs visit www.opm.gov/insure.
Retirement and Thrift Savings. For more information about these programs see www.opm.gov/retire and http://www.tsp.gov/.
Flexible Work Schedules. USPS OIG offers a range of family friendly flexibilities including flexible work schedules, telework and employee assistance programs.
Leave and Holidays. In addition to 10 paid holidays each year, you will earn 13 days of paid sick leave and 13 to 26 paid vacation days each year depending on your years of service.
For further information, please refer to our website at:
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Status: Exempt (Nonexempt employees are entitled to overtime pay; Exempt employees are not).
This agency provides Reasonable Accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodations for any part of the application and/or hiring process, please send an email to email@example.com. The decision on granting an accommodation request will be made on a case by case basis.
How You Will Be Evaluated
The Human Resources Office will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure that you meet the minimum qualifications required for this position. You will no longer be considered for this position if you: receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor; fail to attach all required documentation; if your application materials indicate that you are not minimally-qualified for this position; or if you fail to qualify on the interview. Only the top-rated candidates will be referred to a review official or the selecting official for further consideration. Top-rated applicants may be required to participate in an interview. Your rating may be further adjusted or rated as ineligible by the review official or the selecting official based on your interview performance. Once all applicant scores are finalized, the selecting official will make a final decision. NOTE: If you receive a zero (0) rating on any evaluation factor or on the interview, you will be considered NOT MINIMALLY QUALIFIED for the position and rated ineligible.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
You must submit all required documents by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date of this announcement, Vacancy Announcement 2021-134-11222731-PC, by closing date 09/24/2021.
1. RESUME. When completing your online application or uploading your resume, you must categorize it as a "Resume" document).
2. UPLOAD SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS which may include:
- Certificates or Licenses, if applicable. Upload and save as "Other" document.
- Veterans Preference Documentation. If you are claiming veterans preference you must submit the Member 4 copy of your DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and/or other proof of veterans preference eligibility including your VA letter, form SF-15 (www.opm.gov/forms) and all required documents related to your SF-15 claim. Veterans can request the Member 4 copy of their DD-214 at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records, and can download a copy of their VA letter from https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits-portal/ebenefits.portal. (If applicable to you, you are required to upload each veterans' preference document and categorize as "DD-214" or "SF-15" or "Other Veterans Document")
- Reasonable Accommodation Documentation. If you are requesting a reasonable accommodation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, submit documentation to support your request, including the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form found at http://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Reasonable_Accommodations_for_USA_Hire .
- SF-50 if you are or have been a Federal employee to demonstrate tenure and competitive/excepted service for eligibility purposes. (If applicable to you, you are Required to upload each applicable SF-50 and categorize as a "SF-50" document.)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date, 09/24/2021, to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents.
- You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account. You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- You are strongly urged to read and print the entire vacancy announcement.
Agency contact information
AddressAIG Research Insight Solution Center
1735 North Lynn Street
Arlington, VA 22209
Delivering more than 143 billion pieces of mail yearly to 159 million delivery points and operating 31,000 postal facilities, America's postal system is one of the government's most trusted entities. The United States Postal Service Office of Inspector General, an independent agency within the Postal Service, employs more than 1,000 auditors, investigators and professional support personnel stationed in more than 90 offices to meet the challenge of preserving this trust.
The OIG plays a key role in maintaining the integrity and accountability of America's postal service, its revenue and assets, and its employees. For further information, please refer to our website at: http://www.uspsoig.gov/general/about-us
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of the Inspector General, USPS, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once the Occupational Questionnaire has been received you will receive an acknowledgement e-mail that your submission was successful. After a review of your application package has been completed, you will be notified of your rating and/or referral to the Selecting Official.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/613121000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.