EXECUTIVE/MANAGERIAL (E/Ms): Unless you are currently under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit written statements (narrative format) describing accomplishments that would satisfy the E/Ms. Applicants who do not provide a narrative statement will only be considered for an IPA appointment, if applicable.
1. Leading Change. This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
2. Leading People. This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
3. Results-Driven Leadership. This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent in this E/M is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
4. Business Acumen. This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically.
5. Building Coalitions. This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, non-profit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals.
PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL (P/Ts): All applicants must submit written statements (narrative format) of accomplishments that would satisfy the P/T qualifications. You must address each P/T qualification separately.
1. Education, strongly preferred at the Ph.D. level, or equivalent professional experience, or a combination of education and equivalent experience in geospace sciences or a closely related field.
2. Substantial research contributions and service to the geospace sciences community as evidenced by publications, innovative leadership in research administration, broadening participation, and professional leadership and awards.
3. Skill in balancing complex and diverse program demands and available resources in response to major advances or changing needs of geosciences research and technology, and demonstrated ability to exercise sound professional judgment in recommending the initiation of research in the field of geospace sciences.
4. Broad understanding of universities and other institutions and large facilities where research and education in geosciences is conducted, including knowledge of grant and contract administration and fiscal management with experience in scientific research support
• When responding to the P/T and E/M qualifications, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each of the E/Ms and P/Ts.
• Your examples should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of the programs managed and program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts.
Applicants currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service (SES) appointment, eligible for reinstatement into SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved by OPM are not required to address the Executive/Managerial (E/M) Qualifications (ECQs); but a narrative statement for each of the Professional/Technical (P/T) Qualifications (PTQs) is required.
To view additional information on the proper preparation of Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs)
statements, applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Office of Personnel Management's Guide to Executive Qualifications.