The incumbent reports to the Director of Communications and Public Affairs.Learn more about this agency
The Director of Communications and Public Affairs provides administrative and policy direction and assigns special projects. Within these parameters, the Webmaster and Social Media Specialist independently plans and carries out the work of the position, identifying issues and problems, initiating action to resolve them, discussing with the Director of Communications and Public Affairs controversial or sensitive issues that may significantly impact the EAC. Work is reviewed for overall effectiveness in achieving goals and objectives, and consistency with governing laws, regulations, policies and the EAC Strategic Plan.
- Manage content on the website by posting/updating newsletter articles, social media, and other program communications to the appropriate place on the website.
- Provide subject matter expertise for the Drupal content management system.
- Create, edit, and update web content (Drupal).
- Manage operational tasks and project schedules for overall maintenance and functionality of the EAC website.
- Coordinate with staff and contractors to ensure the EAC website complies with required regulations.
- Coordinate with EAC managers to evaluate the current structure, operations, and content of the EAC website, provide recommendations for improvements.
- Establish relationships, identifying and recommending opportunities for value-added improvements and innovations.
- Support EAC website design and ensure that the EAC website meets the standards for 508 compliance and other federal or agency-specific requirements.
- Maintain and create technical guidance and policies for EAC website content.
- Evaluate and analyze EAC website statistics and user feedback, provide recommendations to improve the effectiveness of the EAC website.
- Establish and maintain the posting and user feedback distribution processes for the EAC website to ensure content posted, and user feedback is distributed timely and accurately.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Manages social media ensures adaptability with real-time trends and proactive story ideas into social-first assets.
- Design, build, and illustrate graphics and elements for social platforms as needed (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)
- Create quick-turn, reactive content for opportunistic moments in culture and online.
- Brainstorm, pitch and conceptualize original content ideas for social media platforms.
- Craft copy in accordance with brand tone and voice guidelines.
- Work collectively on cross-disciplinary projects.
- Understand agency brands, target audiences, and existing activities in the space.
- Manage the storytelling behind each creative output to ensure it is clear, concise, snackable, and true to the content.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure content is useful and consistent
- Evolve, revise, or redevelop content in response to feedback from internal and external stakeholders.
- Balance multiple projects successfully to meet deadlines and collaborate across multiple stakeholders with different priorities.
- Assist with the creation of policies regarding brand identity standards and guidelines, while helping to inform the evolution and extension of the written and visual identity.
- Use campaign performance data to understand the effectiveness of campaigns and apply key learnings to future campaigns.
- Be aware of social media trends and formats, while also producing new template and design approaches.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
12 - GS-12 equivalent with promotion potential.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Candidates must meet all qualifications prior to the closing date of this announcement.
- Candidates must be a US Citizen.
- This position is subject to a (1) year probationary period.
As webmaster, the incumbent provides timely responses to web inquiries received from the EAC website and social media sites. Analyzes and prepares web and social media features by gathering, synthesizing information into accurate historical products. Provides in-depth customer service for programs, provides user training, analyzes trends/metrics, and recommends technical solutions to problems. Uses expert knowledge of web programming languages and methodologies in the development and implementation of applications for the Intranet and Internet, as well as significant experience with customer service, including customer requirements, customer service tools, and web metrics and analytics.
The incumbent is responsible for development and implementation of new and innovative ways to use the EAC's website and social platforms to manage external affairs, state and local election administrators, voting equipment manufacturers and the voting population to promote broad understanding and acceptance of EAC's mission and programs.
Planning and Prioritization: Plans and organizes work activities; manages several tasks at once.
Data Gathering and Analysis: Seeks or collects and synthesizes information from a variety of stakeholders and sources in an objective, unbiased manner to reach a conclusion, goal, or judgment, and to enable strategic and leadership decision making.
Communications: Delivers clear, effective communication and takes responsibility for understanding others.
Collaboration: Works cooperatively with others, inside and outside the organization, to accomplish objectives to build and maintain mutually-beneficial partnerships, leverage information, and achieve results.
Customer Service: Demonstrates a commitment to public service; serves and satisfies internal and external customers; holds self accountable for quality outcomes.
Project Management: Creates and maintains an environment that guides a project to its successful completion.
Continuous Learning and Self-Development: Proactively investigates new perspectives, approaches, and behaviors, and takes steps to evaluate and improve performance.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
Mastery knowledge in the application of principles and methods related to Internet design principles, WEB technologies, and standard graphics mark-up languages.
Comprehensive knowledge of EAC regulations and legislation governing web sites.
Knowledge of the Privacy Act affecting what information can be collected, and the Freedom of Information Act affecting what information can be disclosed.
Ability to learn about federal elections administration in order to organize and summarize material for web inquiries, website historical features, and historical posting to the website and social media.
Skill in using web metrics and how to gauge performance.
- Bachelor's degree in English, communications, journalism, or related field, or other bachelor's degree with equivalent relevant work experience.
- Five to seven years of experience, at least three of which include managing editorial projects and websites.
- Experience as a web content administrator supporting the maintenance, operations, and enhancement of a Drupal CMS website.
- Extensive knowledge with data processing experience, including generating web analytic reports, conducting website usability tests, reviewing, and creating system documentation or user guides, and participating in system life cycle development.
- Demonstrated problem-solving capability.
- Advanced capabilities in Drupal and expert knowledge of Drupal.
- Experience with web analytics tools.
- Ability to work independently and within deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of Federal plain language guidelines.
- Strong portfolio showing a range of experience, concepts, written and visual styles. Proven ability to create for social media is desired.
- Demonstrated understanding of current social media best practices - Facebook, Twitter, and a willingness to explore emerging platforms.
- Strong working knowledge of Adobe Suite or similar software.
- Understanding of social media management and related tools.
- Ability to process and produce multiple projects in a short time frame- resizing art/layout accordingly to specs.
- Experience developing rich media and other forms of online advertising.
- Superb customer service skills, including producing clear, error-free correspondence and the ability to articulate strategies and solutions in meetings.
- Ability to learn quickly, to respond/react quickly to changing priorities, and to be dedicated to completing all tasks.
- Familiarity with plain language, web content best practices, and use of editorial style guides.
- Superb client management and customer service skills, including producing clear, error-free correspondence and the ability to articulate strategies and solutions in meetings.
- Experience using content management systems to update website content, including Drupal.
- Experience working in Drupal.
- Basic knowledge of HTML.
- Knowledge of Section 508 compliance and remediation.
You must submit all required information by the closing date. If materials are not received, your application will be evaluated solely on the information available and you may not receive full consideration or may not be considered eligible. The materials you send with your application will not be returned.
Send only those materials needed to evaluate your application.
If you use public transportation, part of your transportation costs may be subsidized.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Please read the "Next steps" section for more information.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Required documents include a resume and the supporting documents as described in the "How to Apply Instructions" section of this announcement.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
All applicants MUST submit applications via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. You do not need to submit your application package through the USAJOBS process.
You MUST include the job title and announcement number in the subject line of the email.
Your application package must be received by the closing date of the announcement and must include the following:
1. A resume;
2. Three professional references;
- Name, Title, Name of Agency/Business, Contact Number, and Email; and
- Include your current (or most recent if not currently employed) direct manager/supervisor as one of the three references.
4. A copy of your most recent performance appraisal. If you do not have a recent performance appraisal, please explain why you do not have one.
Agency contact information
AddressUS Election Assistance Commission
633 3rd Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
The United States Election Assistance Commission (EAC) was established by the Help America Vote Actof 2002 (HAVA). The agency is charged with developing guidanceto meet HAVA requirements, adopting voluntary voting system guidelines, accrediting testing laboratories, certifying voting systems, maintaining the national mail voter registration form, auditing the use of HAVA funds, and serving as a national clearinghouse of information about election administration. The law also requires that on an ongoing basis the EAC disseminate information to the public on the activities it carries out under the Help America Vote Act.
Your application materials will be reviewed and if an interview is deemed appropriate, you will be contacted with further information.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607442000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.