THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.Learn more about this agency
This National Guard position is for a ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION SPECIALIST, Position Description Number T5002000 and is part of the Construction Facility Management Office, National Guard.
Appointment Type: Permanent
As a ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION SPECIALIST GS-0028-11, you will:
- Serves as the Environmental Program Manager for the ARNG/ANG and supported tenants which involves the implementation and monitoring of various environmental programs as outlined in ARNG/ANG regulations, directives and policy guidance such as: air and water permitting, Installation Compatible Use Zone Studies (ICUZ), solid and hazardous waste disposal and handling programs, pollution control, PCB disposal management, underground storage tank management , Environmental Compliance Assessment and Management Program (ECAMP), Installation Restoration Program (IRP), cultural and natural resources, endangered species, historical sites and archeology management, etc.
- Coordinates ARNG/ANG level facility environmental plans, programs and projects.
- Serves as the ARNG/ANG contact and spokesperson with local, federal and state regulators.
- Functions as the ARNG/ANG Environmental Management Coordinator and responsible for developing and managing the base environmental program to conform to federal, state, and local rules and regulations (e.g., 29 CFR (OSHA), 40 CFR (EPA) and 49 CFR (DOT)).
- Manages the environmental permitting process to include; air, waste water discharge, pretreatment discharges, drinking water, and hazardous waste storage disposal or transportation.
- Reviews all environmentally related actions on work requests, real property actions, and proposed changes for environmental impact.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- A resume and supporting documents must be submitted (see "How to Apply").
- This position is subject to the provisions of the Priority Placement Program.
- Become proficient on GFEBS, RM-Online, the budgeting process, and the Master Cooperative Agreement for Appendix 2.
QualificationsGENERAL EXPERIENCE: N/A
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 12 months of experience equivalent to the GS-09 level that demonstrates applying a practical knowledge of Environmental program principles, policies and procedures in one or more specialty areas of air pollution, water quality management, and hazardous waste management to develop, organize, manage, analyze, and determine the long-range effects on a fuel divisions operations.
If you are using Education to qualify for this position,
Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree
3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree
LL.M, if related may be used.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, concepts and skill in environmental programs, sufficient to serve as the expert technical advisor on the various base environmental programs.
- Knowledge and skill in written and oral communication techniques sufficient to clearly explain and describe environmental issues, problems, and solutions to diverse groups of federal, state, rural and community landowners, residents, and representatives when establishing land use changes for training areas and construction.
- Knowledge and skill to adapt standard practices, equipment, and techniques in developing technical parameters and preparing justification for development of plans for improvement or alteration or the construction of new facilities, (e.g., sewer systems, water supply systems, hazardous waste management systems, oil/water separators, sluice gates, etc.).
- Knowledge and skill to assess the impact of the installation's activities regarding public safety, ecology, and environment involving matters which are directly or closely related to public welfare and the protection of natural resources.
- Knowledge and skill in conducting inspections, evaluating violations and affecting corrective actions.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: Transcripts for education credits, Veteran's Preference Documentation, Military Spouse Preference Documentation.
***Please note that if you are claiming Military Spouse Preference, you MUST include a copy of the Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist along with the documents identified on the checklist to verify your eligibility for MSP. Acceptable documentation of your preference eligibility includes at a minimum: A copy of the PCS orders, Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist and your marriage certificate or license (if you are not on the PCS Orders).***
***Please note that if you are claiming Veteran's Preference, you MUST provide supporting documentation (DD-214, VA Letter, Completed SF15, etc.) to receive preference.***
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11168329
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
WA HRO Staffing Section
AddressConstruction Facility Management Office
Bldg 36 Quartermaster RD
Camp Murray, WA 98430
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Army National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/607106800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.