About the Position: Army Public Health Center mission is to promote and prevent disease, injury and disability of Soldiers, military retirees, their Families and Department of the Army Civilian Employees; and assure effective execution of full spectrum veterinary services for Army and Department of Defense Veterinary missions.Learn more about this agency
Performs the day-to-day husbandry operations for the organization providing care for animals used in toxicologic evaluation and testing, most of which are conducted under Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Good Laboratory Practice Regulations, the Animal Welfare Act, Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, and Department of Defense (DoD) regulations. Position performs day-to-day work within animal facility, and executes the care of laboratory animals. Performs technician duties and responsibilities of caring for animals, protocol support, euthanizing animals which requires light physical effort to lift or handle the animals, feeding and watering which requires the incumbent to lift and carry feed and handle food trays, sanitation and cleaning of animal areas, receiving new animals, etc., in order to supplement the work process. Assists in the maintenance of vivarium equipment hand receipt and assists with conducting semi-annual inventory of all equipment. In addition, assists with research and preparation of necessary documents for either Capitol Expense Equipment Purchase (CEEP) or MEDCASE.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- Incumbent is required to submit a Financial Disclosure Statement, OGE-450
- Incumbent must possess at time of appointment at the GS-08 and GS-09 level an American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) Certification. GS-07 level has 6 months to obtain certification.
- The incumbent may be required to go on Temporary Duty Travel (TDY) up to 5% of the time.
- A pre-employment examination is required. This position may require an annual physical or medical surveillance examination.
- Appointment to this position is subject to a two year probationary period unless the appointee has previously met the requirements as described in 5 CFR Part 315. While probationary the incumbent can be terminated with limited appeal rights.
- Due to the nature of this position, employees are required to work both planned and unscheduled overtime.
Who May Apply: Only applicants who meet one of the employment authority categories below are eligible to apply for this job. You will be asked to identify which category or categories you meet, and to provide documents which prove you meet the category or categories you selected. See Proof of Eligibility for an extensive list of document requirements for all employment authorities.
- External Recruitment Military Spouse Preference
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan
In order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
GS 07 Minimum Qualifications:
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 or higher grade level in the Federal service which includes work that involves: 1.) Performing daily operations of a facility that provides care for animals used in toxicologic evaluation and testing (i.e. rounding on animals, husbandry tasks, etc); 2. )Receive new animals; 3. )Feed and water animals; 4.) Sanitation and cleaning of animal areas; management of vivarium waste streams (i.e. municipal trash, special medical waste, etc).; 5.) Euthanize animals per AVMA approved methods at the direction of the AV; experienced with Good Laboratory Practice documentation practices.
GS 08 Minimum Qualifications:
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-07 or higher grade level in the Federal service which includes work that involves1.) Assist with equipment hand receipts; 2.) Conduct semi-annual inventory of all equipment; 3.)Assists with research and preparation of necessary documents for Capitol Expense Equipment Purchase; 4.) Maintains records and files of all purchase orders and receipts of feed, bedding, and other husbandry supplies5) Conduct training of animal program personnel on animal handling and technical skills (i.e. animal restraint, animal injections, euthanasia procedures, etc); 6) attend pre-protocol meetings and other administrative meetings to coordinate vivarium efforts in support of upcoming studies; 7) assist with facility validation tasks (i.e. water testing, environmental ATP swabbing, etc); 8) understanding and anticipation of programs needs to support active studies to avoid mission failure.
GS 09 Minimum Qualifications:
To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-08 or higher grade level in the Federal service which includes work that involves; 1,) Updating spreadsheets, automated databases, equipment management, and file maintenance; 2.) Analyzing current and projected needs to ensure adequate supply levels are maintained; 3.) Submit purchase requests for supply orders; 5.) Executing the animal health program at the direction of the AV (aka sentinel animal program); 5.) Development and refinement of program Standard Operating Procedures and 7) Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excell, and Power point.
Incumbent may be non-competitively promoted pending time-in-grade requirements, demonstrated ability to perform the target grade level duties, and upon the recommendation of appropriate management officials.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Organizational Awareness
- Self Management
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you must meet the qualification requirement using experience alone--no substitution of education for experience is permitted.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position requires you to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 53 - position.
- You may claim military spouse preference.
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government interest.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified and Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Best Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position requires a job-related license or certification. You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 06/25/2021 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11089891).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressAG-APF-W03HAA USA PUBLIC HEALTH COMMAND
DO NOT MAIL
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/604662700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.