SummaryThese positions are to be filled under the OPM Government-Wide Direct Hire Authority Certain STEM Positions for grades GS11-15. This serves as a public notice for the use of the Direct Hire Authority in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 3327 and 3330 and 5 CFR 330. Under this recruitment procedure, applications will be accepted for each location/ installation identified in this Public Notice. There may or may not be actual/projected vacancies at the time you submit your application.Learn more about this agency
As a Mathematical Statistician you will:
- Advise program staff on developing methods and selecting techniques to conduct methodological research to improve sample surveys or experimental designs; to conduct evaluations of data collection, reduction, processing, protocol design, sample size, and analysis of methodologies and results.
- Design and develop mathematical statistical models, methods, and/or techniques such as sample and survey designs for related data collection. Monitors and maintains center standards regarding survey design and methodology.
- Provide technical advice to peers and senior managers within and outside of the organization on statistical methods and techniques. Prepare comprehensive reports of study results to include discussion of substantive research objectives.
- Identify specific statistical research areas that merit investigation, develops new hypotheses and approaches for studies and evaluates the feasibility of such endeavors.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- This employer participates in the e-Verify program.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Subject to satisfactory security and suitability requirements.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Positions are located agency-wide and may be filled as permanent, term, or temporary with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location.
- Appointments made with this authority will be processed as a new appointment into the Civil Service.
- The vacancies filled through these appointments have varying levels of background investigative requirements, up to?a Top Secret -?DOE "Q" clearance.
You must meet the Basic Requirement and "Specialized Experience" to qualify for this series as described below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: A qualified candidate's online application and resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position is defined as:
For the GS-11, you must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 grade level in the Federal service. Experience includes conducting energy studies and developing mathematical methods and techniques; developing mathematical/statistical techniques, approaches and methodologies to analyze energy and commodity markets; and reviewing data operations to assure compliance with specifications, agreements and laws in the use of energy supply and demand data collection programs.
3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
GS-12: You must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. Experience includes applying advanced statistical techniques to experimental design, data analysis, sampling, forecasting, quality control, and operations research; developing and/or presenting professional papers or reports on statistical studies or surveys; providing technical assistance on complex statistical analyses; serving as a technical advisor on various statistical analyses and methods; planning and executing a variety of projects and developing recommendations requiring technical and administrative judgment; developing listing and mapping applications, and developing collection methodology; and/or experience writing procedures for automated or computer-assisted statistical operations.
NOTE: There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at the GS-12 level.
GS-13: You must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Experience includes applying advanced statistical techniques to experimental design, data analysis, sampling, forecasting, quality control, and operations research; developing and/or presenting professional papers or reports on statistical studies or surveys; providing technical expertise to support complex statistical analyses and methods; planning and executing a variety of complex projects and developing recommendations requiring technical and administrative judgment; developing listing and mapping applications, and developing collection methodology; and/or experience writing and auditing procedures for automated or computer-assisted statistical operations.
NOTE: There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at the GS-13 level.
GS-14: You must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Experience includes applying advanced statistical techniques to experimental design, data analysis, sampling, forecasting, quality control, and operations research; developing and/or presenting professional papers or reports on statistical studies or surveys; provide technical expertise to support complex statistical analyses; serve as a technical expert on various statistical analyses and methods; plan and execute a variety of complex projects and develop recommendations requiring technical and administrative judgment; experience with a Systems Development Lifecycle; developing listing and mapping applications, and developing collection methodology; and/or experience writing, auditing, and identifying new procedures for automated or computer-assisted statistical survey operations.
NOTE: There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at the GS-14 level.
GS-15: You must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Experience includes serving as a consultant and senior advisor in applying advanced statistical techniques to experimental design, data analysis, sampling, forecasting, quality control, and operations research to resolve novel or obscure problems; developing and/or presenting professional papers or reports on statistical studies or surveys; utilizing advanced statistical methodologies, procedures, or programs for complex statistical analyses and methods; plan and execute a variety of complex projects and develop recommendations requiring technical and authoritative judgment; an authoritative expert with a Systems Development Lifecycle; developing listing and mapping applications, and utilizing innovative collection methodology; and/or establishing innovative writing and auditing procedures for automated or computer-assisted statistical survey operations.
NOTE: There is no substitution of education for specialized experience at the GS-15 level."Experience" refers to paid and unpaid experience. Examples of qualifying unpaid experience may include: volunteer work done through National Service programs (such as Peace Corps and AmeriCorps); as well as work for other community-based philanthropic and social organizations. Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills; and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
OPM Qualification Standards for the GS-1529 series can be found at the following website: OPM Qualification Standard for the GS-1529 Series
CTAP/ICTAP candidates: To be considered "well qualified" you must meet all of the requirements as described in this section.
This public notice may be used to fill multiple positions as needed; therefore, applicants must meet the qualifications at the time the applications are reviewed.
Degree: that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics.
- Combination of education and experience -- at least 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, including at least 12 hours in mathematics and 6 hours in statistics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Therefore, you MUST provide documentation supporting any education claims in your application. This documentation can include unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned and final grade. For specific education requirements, please see the Education Requirements.
If selected, official transcripts may be requested.
This position has a positive education requirement.
The U.S. Department of Energy fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional similar vacancies across DOE.
- For general information on government-wide Telework polices visit: www.telework.gov
- Status and Non-Status applicants from outside DOE selected under this authority are required to serve a mandatory one (1) year probationary period. A DOE career status employee selected for this position may be required to serve a new one (1) year probationary period, pursuant to 5 CFR 315.802.
- If you believe that you are eligible for the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP), please visit the OPM ICTAP/CTAP website for more information. In order to be considered under the ICTAP program, your application must score within the pre-established "well qualified" category as stated in the Qualifications section.
- This public notice is to gather applications that may or may not result in a referral or selection.
- More than one selection may be made under this hiring authority.
- Some positions may require completion of a probationary period of up to 1 (one) year.
- Many positions require successful completion of a background investigation.
- Positions may be filled at varying levels of leadership, ie Team Lead, Manager, Supervisor.
- Supervisory positions may require a 1-year probationary period, if not yet completed.
- New employees to the Department of Energy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify
- Veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, please visit the links at the bottom of this page or visit the FedsHireVets website.
- All males born after December 31st 1959 must abide by laws regarding Selective Service registration. To learn more about this law, visit the Selective Service web page, Who Must Register. If you are not registered and don't have an approved exemption, you will not be eligible for employment with the Federal government.
Veterans Information: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Veterans_Information
Selective Service Registration: http://www.sss.gov/
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.This position is announced under a government-wide Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for STEM positions in the GS- 1529 series. Under this Direct-Hire authority, applicants are required to meet minimum qualification requirements at the grade level(s) of interest. Veteran's Preference, Schedule A, Category Rating, and other methods of consideration DO NOT APPLY under Direct-Hire Authority regulations.
Appointments made under this authority will be processed as new appointments to the Civil Service. Current Civil Service employees would, therefore, be given new appointments to the Civil Service. Current Federal employees may be required to serve a new probationary period (5 CFR 315.802(b).
If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses you provided in your online questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score may be adjusted accordingly.
Successful candidates will possess the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Attention to Detail
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Technical Competence
You must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date (09/30/2021) of this announcement.
To preview the Assessment Questionnaire, clickhttps://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11132378.
To apply for this position, you MUST provide a complete application package which includes:
- Your RESUME showing all relevant work experience (paid and unpaid) including: duties performed; full name and address of the each employer; start and end dates (month/day/year); work schedule (part-time, full-time, number of hours if intermittent); salary; and any completed education and training (program title, subject area, number of hours completed, and completion date).
- Cover Letter, optional, expressing additional information not covered in your resume.
- Transcripts, if specific educational requirements are indicated in this job announcement. Unofficial transcripts or any report listing institution, course title, credits earned (semester or quarter hour) and final grade is acceptable. It is your responsibility to provide adequate proof that you meet the educational requirements.
- Veterans' Preference documentation,if applicable, DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service; current active duty members- certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions dated within 120 days; SF-15 Form and related documentation; VA letter. For more information visit the USAJOBS Help Center & OPM CHCOC website for VOW information.
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable(e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.) For more information see the OPM Guide to Career Transition.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
This is a public notice that is open for 4 months.
Please read the entire announcement and all the instructions before you begin an application. To apply for this position, you must complete the initial online application, to include submission of the required documentation specified in the Required Documents section. A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the announcement closing date to receive consideration.
The application process is as follows:
- You must have a login.gov account to sign into USAJOBS: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/account/.
- To begin the application process in USAJOBS, click the Apply Online button.
- Answer the questions presented in the application and attach all required and supporting documentation.
- You must click the Submit Application button prior to 11:59 pm (ET) on the announcement closing date.
To verify the status of your application, during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account; applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each application status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you need help with login.gov or USAJOBS (e.g., account access, Resume Builder) visit the USAJOBS Help Center: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/
If you experience difficulty applying on USAJOBS, after clicking the Apply Online button, or you are experiencing a significant hardship hindering your ability to apply online, the Agency Contact listed in the announcement can assist you during normal business hours. If you receive any system error messages, take screenshots if possible, to aid technical support.
Agency contact information
AddressOak Ridge HR Shared Service Center
P.O. Box 5088
Oak Ridge, TN 37831
USThe Department of Energy is responsible for defining and advancing America's energy policy, technology, and security. Through our national laboratories and distinctive range of program centers we discover, deliver, and manage the energy breakthroughs that keep the nation and its economy safe and secure through the 21st century and beyond!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Department of Energy, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. The status of your application will be updated in USAJOBS as it is evaluated.
You can check the status by logging into USAJOBS. You may also sign up to receive automatic emails anytime the status of your application changes by logging into your USAJobs Account and editing the Notification Settings.
You will be contacted directly if an interview is required.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/603078300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.