- Who may apply: All U.S. Citizens.
- Position is located in the Info & Dir Office, Corporate Systems, Internal Systems, Solutions Development, ZTECA
- This job announcement may be used to fill similar positions on other teams in the I&T Directorate.
- View pay rates at OPM: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/
- Develops, plans, and implements the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) Information Security/Information Assurance Program and Risk Management Framework (RMF)
- Serves as a technical authority and focal point for information security policies and procedures, including hardware, software (both applications and systems) and teleprocessing security
- Plans and implements a security program that supports the Agency?s financial management and information technology goals and objectives
- Ensures that each information systems is operated, maintained, and disposed of in accordance with applicable policies and practices
- Enforces all applicable security policies and safeguards for all personnel having access to the location?s various information systems
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Suitable for Federal Employment
- Registered for Selective Service (if applicable)
- Cyber-Security Certification required as a condition of employment
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
QualificationsResumes for federal government positions need more detailed work descriptions and accomplishments than a typical private sector resume. Please be sure to clearly describe the full scope of your work experiences in your resume.
Basic Requirement: Applicants must have IT-related experience demonstrating the following competencies appropriate to, or above, the level of this position. Your resume and work experience should clearly support your ability to meet these competencies and will be evaluated as part of the entire application process.
Attention to Detail- experience reviewing my own information technology-related work or data and have been asked by others to review their work or data to ensure accuracy, completeness, and consistency with standards
Customer Service- experience maintaining relationships with customers, assessing current information technology needs of customers, and developing or identifying information technology products and services that are tailored to meet customer needs
Oral Communication- briefing mid-level management and IT staff on the status of information technology systems, projects, or daily operations, including the communication of technical information to a non-technical audience
Problem Solving- identifying alternatives to address complex information technology-related issues by gathering and applying information from a variety of sources that provide a number of potential solutions
In addition to the Basic Competency Requirements listed above, one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade GS-11 in the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as; assisting with identifying, implementing, testing and remediating technical security requirements for assigned technologies and environments; helping to interpret, manage, or facilitate changes to cybersecurity policies and procedures; providing cybersecurity guidance to I&T management, staff, and customers; conducting assessment procedures of security controls; and assisting with the development of security controls for common IT processes(e.g., access management) based on government or industry best practices, policies and laws., and IT-related experience demonstrating Attention to Detail,Customer Service, Oral Communication, and Problem Solving as described in the vacancy announcement.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
EducationEducation is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
- Per DFAS 8570.01-I, as a CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT, this position requires the selected candidate to obtain and maintain a DoD-approved baseline Cybersecurity certification, applicable workforce qualification requirements, and, if applicable computing environment certificate. The selected candidate must meet these requirements within six (6) months after entry on duty. Failure to do so may lead to removal from the Federal.
- Moving expenses will not be paid.
- Telework availability will be based upon the mission requirements and supervisory determination.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- This position is being filled under the Direct Hire Authority for Certain Personnel of the Department of Defense via delegated authority by the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location. We reserve the right to close this announcement early or to extend, as appropriate, based upon the needs of the Agency. Qualified application packages may be referred to management at various points in the selection process depending on the number and timing of applications received. Selections may be made at any point during the announcement open period.
- Employment with DFAS means access to generous benefits such as: health, vision, and dental insurance, retirement benefits, paid time off, and educational benefits.
- A two year probationary period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 90 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is Seldom(1-24%)
- This position is covered by a bargaining unit.
- Veteran's Preference: Veteran's preference does not apply under this Direct Hire Authority (DHA).
- DFAS recognizes the value of competencies gained through formal education and professional certifications. To ensure that consistent credit is given for these credentials in the selection process DFAS has developed standard selection criteria to be used when filling positions in professional and administrative series. Selections for professional and administrative positions will be based on four categories of selection criteria: Experience, Other, Education, and Certifications.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or be exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov).
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume, required documents and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be referred to management for consideration.
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11129649
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume: you are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account; uploading in your Application Manager account; OR faxing. For assistance in preparing your resume, take a look at the DFAS Resume Tools.
- Complete Assessment Questionnaire
- Other Supporting Documents
- Transcripts and/or Certifications: For additional information on acceptable documents, click here Transcripts and Certifications. All applicants to include current agency employees/contractors must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Veterans Preference: If you are claiming veteran's preference, you MUST submit the appropriate documentation.
- Cover Letter: You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or determine eligibility for preference.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
- Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload your resume (required), and any other application documents.
- Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
- Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
AddressDFAS - INFO AND TECHNOLOGY DIR OFFICE
4800 Mark Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22350
As the world's largest finance and accounting firm, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) pays all Department of Defense (DoD) military and civilian personnel, retirees and annuitants, and major DoD contractors and vendors. We take great pride in serving the men and women who serve America, and invite goal-oriented people like you to challenge yourself while providing a service to our nation.
This position is being filled under Direct-Hire Authority for Certain Competitive Service Positions via delegated authority by the Office of the Secretary of Defense. Positions may be filled as permanent or term with a full-time or part-time work schedule. Pay will vary by geographic location. We reserve the right to close this announcement early or to extend, as appropriate, based upon the needs of the Agency. Qualified application packages may be referred to management at various points in the selection process depending on the number and timing of applications received. Selections may be made at any point during the announcement open period.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Defense Finance and Accounting Service, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job. Only candidates meeting minimum qualifications will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews.
You will be notified when selections are made. Individuals receiving a tentative job offer will be required to submit to a suitability/security background investigation.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/602754100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.