You will serve as the Highly Qualified Expert (HQE) within Headquarters, Marine Corps as the technical expert to develop a comprehensive strategy, architecture and a roadmap to position the Marine Corps for a Zero Trust Architecture (ZTA), supporting Operations in the Information Environment (OIE) from enterprise-to-tactical level implementation.Learn more about this agency
- You will define strategy, policy and architecture to guide, constrain enterprise development, deploy a zero-trust architecture optimizing cybersecurity posture and optimize cybersecurity architecture with consideration to trade-space.
- You will develop strategy and policy addressing the full-stack, including end points, applications, cloud services, tactical considerations in a denied, degraded, intermittent, or latent communications network environment.
- You will develop strategy and policy for Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence enabled capabilities to support persistent cyber analysis and response; i.e., Defensive Cyber Operations.
- You will include considerations of edge computing; and integration of denied, degraded, intermittent, and latent (DDIL) capabilities supporting the Deployed Marine Corps Enterprise Network (DMCEN).
- You will be a recognized national expert, have an understanding of cybersecurity architecture and design for computing and information technology systems gleaned from experience across industry sectors with a demonstrated experience at all levels.
- You will create an enterprise Zero-trust architecture (ZTA) strategy, policy framework and manage the adaption process.
- You will evaluate ZTA technologies applications, hardware/software and develop cybersecurity systems, focusing on machine learning and artificial intelligence capabilities.
- You will deliver expert guidance on ZTA architectural principles (including services-based models on top of cloud platforms) to drive design and deployment of a highly scalable, fault-tolerant cybersecurity architecture.
- You will work closely across the organization to communicate and evangelize an effective ZTA policy, respond to technical issues and identify the ZTA architecture solution to successfully meet the strategic needs of the Marine Corps for OIE.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a US Citizen.
- Must be determined suitable for federal employment.
- Must participate in the direct deposit pay program.
- New employees to the Department of the Navy will be required to successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit e-verify.gov
- Within the Department of Defense (DoD), the appointment of retired military members within 180 days immediately following retirement date to a civilian position is subject to the provisions of 5 United States Code 3326.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service.
- You will be required to obtain and maintain an interim and/or final security clearance prior to entrance on duty. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a job offer or removal.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (including marijuana) is required. A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if you fail to report to the drug test appointment or fail the test. You will be subject to random testing.
- This position may require travel from normal duty station to CONUS and OCONUS and may include remote or isolated sites. You must be able to travel on military and commercial aircraft for extended periods of time.
- You will be required to complete ethics orientation within three months of appointment and submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report, OGE-450, within 30 days of appointment.
QualificationsQUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS: Applicants will be assessed against Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs). Failure to provide a separate narrative statement which describes fully and concisely how your experience meets the Mandatory Technical Qualifications will eliminate you from consideration.
MANDATORY TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS: (Each must be addressed separately in your Supplemental Narrative Statement. Each MTQ must not exceed 1 page.)
1. Four to six years of experience at the corporate headquarters level designing, executing and supporting cybersecurity architecture, with a focus on Zero Trust principles..
2. Expert knowledge of Zero Trust Architecture, including related computing technologies and current application/system strategies, and trends.
3. Effective communication skills (written and verbal) to properly articulate complex constructs at the 3-star/senior executive level, functional line management, and other IT development partners.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.
This is a public notice flyer to notify interested applicants of anticipated vacancies. Applications will not be accepted through this flyer. Interested applicants must follow the directions in the "How to Apply" section of this flyer to be considered. There may or may not be actual vacancies filled from this flyer. Notice of Result letters will not be sent to applicants who respond to this flyer.
This position is not covered by the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program.
Several vacancies may be filled.
A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
This Highly Qualified appointment may be extended up to 4 additional years at the discretion of management and in accordance with applicable regulations.
Recruitment incentives may be authorized to eligible new hires.
A relocation incentive is generally a single payment intended to offset some of the relocation costs experienced by the selectee. A relocation incentive may be authorized.
This position is in the excepted service and does not confer competitive status.
This position is eligible for part time, full time or ad-hoc telework at the discretion of management.
Temporary actions taken under this announcement may be terminated at any time before the established not-to-exceed date.
Federal annuitant information: The selection of an annuitant is subject to the Department of Defense and Department of the Navy policy on the employment of annuitants. Policy information may be found at: http://www.secnav.navy.mil/donhr/Documents/CivilianJobs/FedCivAnnuitants.pdf.
How You Will Be Evaluated
In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
As vacancies occur, the Human Resources Office will review your resume to ensure you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this flyer. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume, along with your supporting documentation.
If selected, you may be required to provide additional supporting documentation.
If after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may be found ineligible/not qualified.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
All qualification requirements must be met before being considered for any vacancies.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
A complete resume is required. Your resume must show relevant experience, job title, duties and accomplishments. Your resume must show complete information for each job entry to support minimum qualifications. The following information should be provided in your resume, but it is acceptable to provide elsewhere in your application package: employer's name, starting and end dates (Mo/Yr), hours per week, and pay plan, series and grade level (e.g. GS-0201-09) for relevant federal experience.TIP: A good way to ensure you include all essential information is to use the Resume Builder in USAJOBS to create your resume.
A separate narrative statement is required. Your narrative statement must address the Mandatory Technical Qualifications (MTQs) listed above.
Are you claiming membership in any professional organizations, or possession of a license, certificate or credentials? Check the Conditions of Employment section above to see if any are required. If you claim membership, license, certification, or credentials, you must submit a copy of said document in your application package.
Is there a basic education requirement for this position? Are you using education as a substitute for some or all of the experience requirement? Check the Education section above to see what is allowed and what is required. Any claims you make in your resume or assessment questionnaire regarding education or degrees MUST be supported by submitting with your application official or unofficial transcripts or a list of courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned issued from your school. While unofficial transcripts are acceptable for initial application, an official transcript will ultimately be required if you are selected for the position. You may submit a copy your degree(s) if specific coursework does not have to be verified.
Are you a veteran claiming 5-point veterans' preference or claiming sole survivorship preference? You must submit a copy of your latest DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (any copy that shows all dates of service, as well as character of service [Honorable, General, etc.] is acceptable) OR a VA letter that shows dates of service or service connected disability AND character of service. If you have more than one DD-214 for multiple periods of active duty service, submit a copy for each period of service. If you were issued a DD-215 to amend aforementioned information on the DD-214 you must submit that too. If you are not sure of your preference eligibility, visit the Department of Labor's website: Veterans' Preference Advisor
Are you a disabled veteran or claiming 10-point veterans' preference?
If you are eligible to claim 10 point veterans preference you must submit a DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty as described above for 5-point preference.
You must also provide the applicable supporting documentation of your disability (e.g. disability letter from the VA) as described on Standard Form-15 (SF-15). http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf.
Are you an active duty service member? Active Duty Service Members are required to submit a statement of service printed on command letterhead and signed by the command. The statement of service must provide the branch of service, rate/rank, all dates of service, the expected date of discharge and anticipated character of service (Honorable, General, etc.).
Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents contain personal information such as SSN and DOB and some documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove said personal information before you submit your application. You must provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Interested Applicants must submit resumes/application packages to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Facsimile applications will not be considered.
All resumes/applications must be received no later than the close date of this flyer.
It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that all information in their resume and documents, are received, legible, and accurate. HR will not modify answers/documents submitted by an applicant.
Failure to submit a complete application package will result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration.
Agency contact information
AddressHQ US MARINE CORPS
3280 Russell Road
Quantico, VA 22134
The Navy and Marine Corps team offers innovative, exciting and meaningful work linking military and civilian talents to achieve our mission and safeguard our freedoms. Department of the Navy provides competitive salaries, comprehensive benefits, and extensive professional development and training. From pipefitters to accountants, scientists to engineers, doctors to nurses-the careers and opportunities to make a difference are endless.
Civilian careers-where purpose and patriotism unite!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at U.S. Marine Corps, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring manager. The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews.
Our evaluation will be based on the information you provide. You should expect that we will verify performance, suitability, and security information and take that information into account in making employment offers.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/602230000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.