THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for an IT SPECIALIST (CUSTSPT) TITLE 32, Position Description Number (PDD2182P01) and is part of the AZ 162nd Wing, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
- THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a current member of the Arizona Air National Guard.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
- May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
- THIS POSITION CONDUCTS INFORMATION ASSURANCE FUNCTIONS. THE INCUMBENT SHALL COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM AND WILL BE REQUIRED TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN CERTIFICATION. (continued below)
- CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS ARE OUTLINED IN DOD INSTRUCTION 8570.01-M
Compatible Military Assignments:
Must Possess AFSC: 3D1X2
This position is located in the Operations Section of a Base Communications Unit, Mission Support Group, in an Air National Guard Wing. This is an Air National Guard (ANG) Dual Status Technician position requiring military membership, compatible military skill assignment, and classification. This position is responsible for providing voice, data, wireless, Communications Focal Point (CFP) and information security services provided to the Wing, supported Geographically Separated Units, and Tenants. The incumbent specializes in one or more of the major information technology (IT) and/or communications systems/functions managed and maintained by the Unit - network infrastructure, wireless systems, voice systems, and CFP operations. The purpose of this position is to serve as a customer support specialist performing work involving analytical and evaluative duties related to classified and unclassified information technology networks and/or cyber system with primary knowledge requirements of information processing methodology, information technology, telecommunications systems, computer capabilities, processing techniques, IT trouble ticket management, and data communications.
GS-09: Must have at least 24 months experience, education, or training in analysis of the interrelationship of pertinent components of the system. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment. Experience scheduling the sequence of programs to be processed by computers where alternatives had to be weighed with a view to production efficiency.
GS-11: Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
There is no education requirement for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (KSA: knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of applying analysis concepts to IT network systems and independent IT platforms, integration methods, performance tuning methods, test and evaluation methods and procedures, IT security principles and methods plus, project management principles and methods sufficient to plan and coordinate the installation of new products or equipment.
2. Ability to analyze, apply methods and practices for recovering, adjusting and modifying IT systems to solve complex problems, while improving customer support practices, that minimizes interruptions in service.
3. Knowledge of network operations, security methods, and network architecture optimization techniques; the capabilities and limitations of the IT systems, infrastructure and software configuration in order to manage the tenant network, carry out network and/or independent platform projects and coordinate efforts with others affected in the organization.
4. Knowledge of systems development, modification, testing, installation, operations, and support concepts as well as the organization's network and infrastructure architecture and protocols to provide support related to: test, evaluation, installation, configuration and modification of hardware and software for operating systems, network platform, and interface connectivity. Provision of network services and planning for increased or changed requirements; modifications and integration of network systems and infrastructure consistent with existing or planned infrastructure/architecture; configuration management changes and upgrades; and connectivity between remote sites.
5. Knowledge of the interrelationship of multiple IT systems, utilizing methods, principles, and practices covering restoral from complex computer and infrastructure system failures, recovery of systems, adjusting, modifying, and improving systems to include hardware and software components.
6. Knowledge of methods and practices involved in the integration of system components sufficient to optimize system performance.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed or the Optional Form 612.
2. Applicant MUST submit a current RIP (Report on Individual Personnel) and/or other military documentation to verify possession of AFSC and RANK.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11104778A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressAZ 162nd Wing
1650 E Perimeter Way
Tucson, AZ 85706
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/601178900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.