Joining the Secret Service, Office of Human Resources, HR Research and Assessment Division will allow you to implement organizational practices, policies and procedures for increased effectiveness. This Student Trainee (Psychology) position starts at a salary of $49,157 (GS-7, step1) or $60,129, (GS-9, step 1) with potential to $78,167 (GS-9, step 10). Apply for this exciting opportunity to impact human resource functions that support work under the Personnel Research Psychologist discipline.Learn more about this agency
The selectee will serve as a Student Trainee (Psychology) in the Office of Human Resources, Human Resources Research and Assessment Division. Typical work assignments include:
- Managing portions of research or practical projects (i.e. individual segments of a larger project); and addressing problems in human resource management, development or assessment.
- Assisting with survey planning and design; evaluating survey results to determine outcomes and trends; providing input on recommendations related to human resource management, development, or assessment.
- Assisting senior members in tasks of limited scope and complexity related to the development and validation of special-purpose tests, employee or organizational development initiatives, or other related human resource initiatives.
- Assisting with data collection to support human capital research efforts.
For more information on the Secret Service click here.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. citizenship is required.
Conditions of Employment
If selected for this position, you must:
- Maintain a Top Secret Tier 5 clearance. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 at time of application and throughout internship appointment.
- Be at least 16 years or older
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- Sign a Pathways Participant Agreement.
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet the education requirements and Selector Placement Factor listed below.
GS-07: You qualify for the GS-7 level (starting salary $49,157) if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 level performing duties such as using statistical techniques to evaluate qualitative and quantitative data; and assisting with conducting research studies related to organizational topics. OR
Completion of 1 full academic year of graduate level education OR
Eligibility under the Superior Academic Achievement Provision and completion of a bachelor's degree in Psychology or related field of study.
GS-09: You qualify for the GS-9 level (starting salary $60,129) if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-7 level performing duties such as assisting with conducting research studies on various organizational topics; assisting in the collection of data that supports human capital research efforts; and using social science research theories, assessment theories, leadership theories, and/or survey design methodology. OR
Completion of 2 academic years of graduate level education OR
Master's degree or equivalent graduate degree.
Selective Placement Factor: Major in Psychology or related field of study.
Qualifications Must Be Met: The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. For example, specific courses accepted for college-level credit by an accredited U.S. college or university, or foreign education evaluated by an organization recognized for accreditation by the Department of Education as education equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. college or university. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications for more information. Those with Foreign education, click here.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade and unit occur.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
PROGRAM COMPLETION AND CONVERSION ELIGIBILITY: Program participants may be converted, without a break in service, to a term, career or career conditional appointment upon completion of program requirements. To be eligible for conversion, a Student Trainee Intern must:
- Successfully complete academic course of study
- Complete a minimum of 640 hours of work experience under the the Internship Program
- Meet OPM qualification standards for the position the Intern will be converted
- Maintain acceptable performance under the agency's approved performance management system
- Receive favorable recommendation for conversion from Supervisor
Mandatory Suitability Statement:
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
This position will require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.
E-Verify Statement: DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Click here to learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
Relocation expenses will not be authorized.
How You Will Be Evaluated
We will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are considered in the following order: (1) preference eligibles having a compensable service-connected disability of 10% or more; followed by (2) other 10-point preference eligibles; (3) 5-point preference eligibles; and (4) non-preference eligibles (i.e., non-veterans). For information on veterans' preference click here.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
In addition to addressing the vacancy specific questions, you must also submit the following documentation:
- Resume - In order to receive credit for experience contained in an uploaded resume, your employment history should show work experience in month/year format (MM/YYYY), reflecting starting date and ending date, and include the number of hours worked per week.
- Proof of Enrollment - You must submit a copy of your Fall 2020/Spring 2021 college/university transcript (unofficial is acceptable) that shows the school name, student's name, cumulative grade point average GPA of 3.0 or higher, and credits earned or Spring 2021 enrollment letter. Proof of Enrollment is an official document from the university registrar’s office reflecting acceptance/enrollment into the program for the upcoming semester.
- If you are claiming Superior Academic Achievement (SAA) to qualify at the GS-07 level (as explained in the Qualifications section), or are qualifying based on education, you must submit a copy of your college/university transcript (unofficial is acceptable) it must show school name, student's name, credits earned, degree, and date awarded. Education must be obtained from an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet Federal qualification requirements if you can show that your foreign education is comparable to education received in accredited educational institutions in the United States. For example, specific courses accepted for college-level credit by an accredited U.S. college or university, or foreign education evaluated by an organization recognized for accreditation by the Department of Education as education equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. college or university. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence with your application. See Recognition of Foreign Qualifications for more information. Those with Foreign education, click here.
- Are you a Veteran? Submit a DD-214 (Member Copy 4) and/or documentation of service connected disability. If a DD-214 (Member Copy 4) is not available, other documentation listing the beginning and ending dates of active service and the type of discharge must be submitted to verify eligibility. Those applying for 10-point preference must fill out the SF-15 (click here for the form) and provide the required documentation listed on the back of the form. Click here for more veterans' information.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
This position is being advertised via SecretServiceHire which is an automated staffing system. To begin your online application, click the Apply Online button and follow the prompts to register or sign into USAJOBS, take the online questionnaire, and submit the required documents. See Required Documents section for more detail. You must complete the application process and submit any required documents no later than 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the closing date of this announcement. Instructions outlining the application process can be found at www.secretservice.gov/online_application_procedures.shtml. If you cannot apply online, you may contact the Talent and Employee Acquisition Management Division, Administrative, Professional, Technical Staffing Branch at email@example.com OR by calling (202) 406-6420 between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:30 pm EST (excluding Federal holidays) prior to the closing date of this announcement to receive assistance. The Secret Service provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
PLEASE NOTE: This vacancy will close at midnight Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the stated closing date of the vacancy OR on the day that 50 applications are received, whichever occurs first. Only complete applications that include all supporting documents received prior to midnight EST on the closing date or the day the application limit is reached will be accepted. Therefore, you are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application. Supporting documents WILL NOT be accepted once the job opportunity announcement closes.
Agency contact information
AddressUnited States Secret Service (DHS-USSS)
Please read entire announcement
Please apply online
Washington, District of Columbia 20223
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Once your complete application is received we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications and determine your eligibility. Best-qualified applicants will be referred for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement. If you are selected, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation. You may check the status of your application for this position by going to www.usajobs.gov. Click on the "My USAJOBS" tab, enter your user id and password, and click on "My Applications". You will also receive an email notification regarding your application status. For more information on applying for Federal employment, please click here.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/601109700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.