The position(s) covered by this vacancy announcement is in the Department of Defense (DoD) Acquisition Workforce Personnel Demonstration Project (AcqDemo). For more information please see: ACQDEMO.Learn more about this agency
This position is part of the Department of Defense (DoD), Missile Defense Agency (MDA). The incumbent will be responsible for implementing enterprise-wide cybersecurity strategies, and developing courses of action that optimize the defensive cybersecurity posture and cyber situational awareness within the MDA Area of Operations (MDA AO).
As an IT Cybersecurity Specialist (INFOSEC) at the NH-2210-3 broadband level some of your typical work assignments may include:
- Coordinate and integrate cybersecurity strategies, policies, directives, and guidance to develop cybersecurity operational requirements that support MDA's mission essential functions.
- Provide recommendations, based on threat analysis and understanding of Mission Relevant Terrain - cyber (MRT-C) that provide leadership with the necessary data to make informed decisions concerning the security posture of the MDA, and its networks and systems.
- Conduct analysis on cyberspace metrics and provide recommendations and courses of action to ensure MDA's operational focus and cybersecurity efforts align with strategic priorities.
- Analyze patterns of noncompliance, cyber tasking orders, cybersecurity assessment results, and operational environment analysis to determine impacts on risk and/or overall effectiveness of the enterprise cybersecurity strategy, cybersecurity controls, and system resiliency.
- Analyze information from external data sources (e.g., cyber defense vendor sites, Computer Emergency Response Teams, Security Focus) to understand cyber defense threat conditions; identify which security issues may impact MDA's information assets, and provide recommendations.
- Synchronize, integrate, and de-conflict organizational plans with the strategies and policies of OSD, Combatant Commands, JFHQ-DODIN, services, and agencies as required.
- Develop processes and procedures to receive and track DoD requirements and integrate them into existing MDA operations and plans.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must be a US citizen
- Male born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Resume and supporting documents received by 11:59PM EST will be considered
- Suitable for Federal employment determined by background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
- This is a Drug Testing designated position
- Work Schedule: Fulltime
- Overtime: Occasionally
- Tour of Duty: Set Schedule
- Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
- Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): Exempt
- Financial Disclosure: Not Required
- Telework Eligibility: This position is situational telework eligible
- Selective Service Requirement: Please visit http://www.sss.gov for more information
- This is an acquisition position coded Level II in Information Technology. Career field certification must be achieved within 24 months of Entrance on Duty (EOD).
- Selectee must acquire 80 continuous learning points every two years
- This is an Information Assurance Workforce/Cybersecurity position coded for Level II in the Management Category (IAM). Selectee must have at the time of permanent appointment or achieve within 6 months of EOD the appropriate baseline certification.
- Employee must be able to obtain/maintain a Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Investigation (TS/SCI) clearance
QualificationsYou may qualify at the NH-03 broadband if you fulfill the following qualifications:
One year of specialized experience equivalent to the NH-02/GS-11 grade level in the Federal service:
- Applies structured analysis principles/methods to recognize cyber threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits in security systems.
- Develops detailed cyber operational plans i.e., develops, implements, and coordinates activities designed to ensure, protect, and restore IT systems, services and capabilities.
In addition to meeting qualifications, your application package must reflect the applicable experience to meet the Individual Occupational Requirements for the 2210 series.
This position has a Basic Requirement for the 2210 series: For all positions individuals must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. The employing agency is responsible for identifying the specific level of proficiency required for each competency at each grade level based on the requirements of the position being filled. All individuals must have IT related experience that demonstrates each of these four competencies:
1) Attention to detail - Ensuring statement of work for procurement of products and service, technical documents, or troubleshooting of Information Technology problems are complete, free of error, and uses sound technical judgment.
2) Customer Service - Analyzing, defining, and delivering Information Technology support to organizations, and identifying problems with customer requests in order to achieve the desired product or service.
3) Oral communication - Presenting technical information to non-technicians in order to achieve understanding of desired specification or solutions to problems.
4) Problem Solving - Diagnosis of issues for organizational or installation wide integrated Information Technology systems for compatibility of new technology, capacity issues, or ensure IT systems continue to meet changing mission requirements.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
Veterans Employment Opportunity Act (VEOA): To be eligible for a VEOA appointment under Merit Promotion procedures, the veteran must be a preference eligible or a veteran separated after 3 years or more of continuous active service performed under honorable conditions.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Programs: This program applies to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position; Well qualified is defined as possessing the type and quality of experience that exceeds the positions minimum qualifications. and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. For more information: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: For more information on noncompetitive appointment authority eligibility requirements:
Person with Disabilities- Schedule A
Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
Other Special Appointment Authorities
Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (seehttps://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx )
To receive consideration please make sure you select ALL appropriate eligibilities in the application questionnaire.
ACQUISITION POSITION: This position requires Acquisition Workforce Level II in the Information Technology category. Certification prior to hiring is not essential but must be accomplished within 24 months after entry into this position.
This is an Information Assurance Workforce/Cybersecurity position coded for Level II in the Management Category (IAM). Selectee must have at time of permanent selection or achieve certification within 6 months of EOD the appropriate baseline certification IAW DoD 8570.01-M. Selectee must acquire continuing education requirements IAW the governing body for their certification. Certification must be maintained as long as the employee remains in the position.
Re-employed Annuitant: This position does/does not meet criteria for re-employed annuitant. The DoD criteria for hiring Re-employed Annuitants can be found at:
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- IT Policy and Planning (PLCYPLN)
- Problem Solving
Military Spouse Preference: If you are entitled to military spouse preference, in order to receive this preference you must choose the spousal eligibility in your application package referencing MSP Military Spouse Preference. Your preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. If you are claiming military spouse preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed below preference eligible veteran candidates and above non-preference candidates on a list sent to the hiring manager for employment consideration. To claim Military Spouse Preference (MSP) please complete the Military Spouse PPP Self-Certification Checklist, save the document and attach it to your application package.
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the authority you are using to apply (i.e., applying as a veteran, applying as a current permanent Federal employee, applying as a reinstatement, etc).
Your complete application includes your COMPLETE resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
The following documents are REQUIRED
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format. It must include your name and contact information and support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain the number of hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e.," HRS per week and month/year" or "HRS per week and month/year to present").
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- If applying using veteran's preference or under a Veteran's hiring authority you must submit the following documents:
- DD214 showing character of service, SF-15 Form and VA letter showing final percentage, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty.
If you are claiming Military Spouse Preference, you must submit supporting documents with your application package. These documents must provide acceptable information to verify: you reside within the commuting area of your sponsor's permanent duty station (PDS); proof of marriage to the active duty sponsor, proof of military member's active duty status, and other documentation required by the vacancy announcement to which you are applying; and must meet all pre-employment criteria and be eligible for immediate noncompetitive appointment to a position in the competitive service. Documentation required: Marriage Certificate or License, Signed Self-Certification Checklist, Veterans' Preference documentation (e.g., DD-214, VA Letter, Statement of Service, if applicable), Transcripts (if applicable). Additional documentation required if previously held a federal position: SF-50s (e.g., LWOP, highest grade held, overseas appointments, etc.), SF-75 Information, and documentation of performance rating of record (dated within the last 12 months)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply Online to access an online application. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
- You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application.
- To receive consideration please make sure you select ALL appropriate eligibilities in the application questionnaire.
- You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
- To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
Agency contact information
MDA Servicing Team
AddressMissile Defense Agency
Bldg 5222 Martin Rd
Redstone Arsenal, AL 35898
USDo you enjoy challenges and seek opportunities?Are identifying problems, analyzing facts, and making recommendations some of your strong suits?
Would you like to obtain the rare opportunity to participate in some of the greatest technological achievements developed?
Would you like to serve your country and defend freedom in one of the most critical efforts in history?
If you answered yes, then this job is for you! The Missile Defense Agency's (MDA) mission is to develop, test, and field an integrated, layered, ballistic missile defense system (BMDS) to defend the United States, its deployed forces, allies, and friends against all ranges of enemy ballistic missiles in all phases of flight.
We are seeking prepared, talented, and motivated IT Cybersecurity Specialist's (INFOSEC) who seek challenges and opportunities. You will earn a competitive salary and enjoy outstanding benefits while working alongside some of the brightest, most motivated thinkers of our time.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Missile Defense Agency, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated. You will receive another notification about the status of your application.
A list of qualified applicants will be created and sent to the selecting official. All applicants reviewed and/or referred will receive a notification letter.
The selecting official may choose to conduct interviews, and once the selection is made, you will receive a notification of the decision.
NOTE: Declining to be interviewed or failure to report for a scheduled interview will be considered as a declination for further consideration for employment against this vacancy.
All applicants must meet qualifications and eligibility criteria by the closing date of the announcement.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/600823100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.