THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a SURFACE MAINTENANCE REPAIRER (T32), Position Description Number D1193000 and is part of the AL CSMS 1, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
ORGANIZATION: CSMS #1, MONTGOMERY, AL
SELECTING OFFICIAL: MAJ J. HILL
(1) Performs limited diagnosis, routine repairs and maintenance on heavy-duty mobile equipment, combat, tactical and automotive vehicles. Assists higher graded mechanics in the repair and/or overhaul of major systems to include internal combustion engines, turbine engines, automatic and non-automatic transmissions, heavy duty drive line systems, and hydraulic utility systems and controls. Makes routine repairs that can be accomplished by removing, adjusting, or replacing defective or worn parts and components. Performs work in accordance with technical manuals, lubrication orders, maintenance bulletins, regulations or management policies.(2) Performs limited diagnoses to determine the cause of mechanical failures by means of visual and auditory checks and/or uses basic test equipment such as compression testers, voltmeters, ohmmeters and pressure gauges. Determines when parts should be cleaned, adjusted or replaced with standard parts to complete work orders.
(3) Removes, replaces, adjusts, cleans and installs parts and components such as wheel seals, switches, sensors, fuel pumps, water pumps, power steering pumps, brakes, filters, radiators, bearings, springs, shock absorbers, wheel cylinders, starter motors, mufflers, battery cables, and other items of similar complexity.
(4) Independently performs routine repairs and maintenance functions in remote locations that can be accomplished by removing, cleaning, reinstalling, or replacing defective parts of components and systems using standard parts. Receives guidance and instruction from a higher graded mechanic or supervisor to perform non-routine and more complex repairs on portions of major assemblies and/or systems. May provide field maintenance at unit locations as part of a "contact team". Recovers and evacuates inoperable vehicles from the unit location of breakdown.
(5) Conducts limited readiness and repair inspections on vehicles and associated equipment supported by the activity. Performs Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) and ensures vehicles and equipment are properly serviced, including brake adjustments, replacing hydraulic fluids, greasing, cleaning, etc. Performs other preventive maintenance operations as required to ensure that equipment is functioning properly.
(6) May perform routine maintenance and limited repairs on basic communication equipment such as radios, field telephones, amplifiers, switchboards, recorders, intercoms by removing and replacing components and elements. Performs minor body and fender, or other metal repairs, using peening hammers, dollies and limited welding. Performs limited repairs and routine maintenance on small arms and accessory equipment by replacing worn or damaged parts. Makes minor repairs to canvas and leather items using bonding/sealing compounds and hand tools such as awls, canvas needles etc.
(7) In conjunction with or in the absence of the Tools and Parts Attendant, may maintain supply documentation, and the receipt, store, issue, and inventory of tools and parts used in the trades operation.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military grade in the Alabama Army National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Army National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Army National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position.
Maximum Military Rank: WO1 (to include all Enlisted)
*Other Requirements: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Each applicant must fully substantiate (in his/her own words) that he/she meets the requirements of the Specialized Experience listed below: Otherwise, the applicant will be considered unqualified for this position. DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must possess at least 12 months experience in each of the following tasks: Experience or training using common hand and power tools and a small variety of test and measurement devices to make mechanical repairs. Experience removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing a variety of parts, components, and accessories. Experience which demonstrates a basic understanding of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic theory applying to vehicles; and skill to replace, fit, install, and make adjustments. Experience demonstrating an understanding of the makeup and operation of the various individual systems maintained and their interrelationships. Experience reading and interpreting parts lists, manufactures' repair manuals, diagrams, and electrical schematics.
SKILL & KNOWLEDGE:
-- Basic knowledge and understanding of the mechanical makeup, operation, and working relationships of individual systems, and their interrelationships for a variety of combat, tactical, commercial, automotive, special purpose vehicles and equipment.
-- Working knowledge of various techniques for removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing parts and components of combat, tactical, commercial, automotive, special purpose vehicles and equipment.
-- Basic understanding of electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic, and other non-mechanical system theories; and skill to replace, fit, install, and adjust systems.
-- Skill to use basic test equipment and ability to analyze test results to determine fault for repair or replacement of improperly functioning parts or components. Ability to use basic tools common to the occupation.
-- Ability to determine when parts should be cleaned, reinstalled, or replaced with standard parts.
-- Ability to read and interpret parts list, manufacturer's repair manuals, technical manuals, diagrams, engineering drawings, and schematics.
This position performs limited diagnosis, routine repair, and maintenance on heavy duty and automotive vehicles and equipment. It requires a working knowledge of various techniques for removing, adjusting, replacing, cleaning, and installing parts and components. It requires a basic knowledge and understanding of the mechanical makeup, operation, and working relationships of individual systems, and their interrelationships. A basic understanding of electrical, electronic, hydraulic, pneumatic, and other non-mechanical system theories is required. The ability to determine when parts should be cleaned, reinstalled, or replaced with standard parts is required; and the ability to use basic tools common to the occupation is required. This fully meets WG-08 level criteria as cited in References B.2. and B.3.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Work is performed both inside and outside. When inside, the incumbent is frequently exposed to drafts, changing temperatures, and noise which is difficult to talk above. When outside, the incumbent is exposed to bad weather, in mud or snow, and in wet or icy areas. The incumbent is frequently exposed to irritations or discomfort from dust, heat, fumes, and hard damp floors or ground. Typically works on parts and systems, which are dirty, oily, or greasy. Frequently exposed to the possibility of cuts, burns, bruises, and sprains while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment. Often exposed to the possibility of falls while repairing, positioning, and moving equipment; and skin irritations from acid, fluids, and lubricants. Uses safety equipment such as protective ear devices, hard hats, hard-toe shoes, respirators, and protective clothing, which may be uncomfortable to wear or use and may be worn or used for long periods.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION IS NOT CONSIDERED FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: SF-50s and DD 214s are recommended, but not required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11090244
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
MAJ James Hill
AddressAL CSMS 1
1780 Congressman Dickinson Dr
Montgomery, AL 36109-0711
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Army National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/598440100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.