The Area of Consideration for this vacancy announcement is US Citizens and legal US residents in the local area. Legal US residents must possess a social security number and be citizens of a NATO country, except for the host country of Germany. (Family Member Preference eligible candidates are included in the area of consideration.)Learn more about this agency
This position is located at Vehicle Registration, Sembach, Germany.
- Serves as Programmer Analyst at the USAREUR Registry of Motor Vehicles. Works under the direction of the Application Programming supervisor.
- Develops and maintains application programs and small subsystems in support of Registry functions using primarily COBOL and CICS in a mixed VSE mainframe and client server environment.
- Provides analysis, design, programming services including, but not limited to: coding, testing, debugging, and documentation of programs. Designs, writes, tests, debugs, maintains software applications that meet technical/functional requirements.
- Applies database management principles and methodologies, including data structures, data modeling, data warehousing, and transaction processing to the development and design of applications.
- Advises IT staff on software design principles, methods and approaches. Applies IT policies, standards and guidelines. Evaluates and recommends adoption of new or alternative approaches to application development.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required.
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position.
- A one year probationary period may be required.
- Completed and signed DA Form 3433 is required prior to entrance on duty.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of all pre-employment checks in accordance with AR 215-3, para.2 to include a Tier III background investigation.
- In consideration of COVID-19, personnel within this area routinely wear personal protective equipment (cloth face coverings, latex gloves, and face shields) while performing their regular duties.
One year specialized experience using COBOL programming language and demonstrated experience in an IBM mainframe environment.Highly Qualifying Criteria:
Must possess comprehensive verbal and written communication skills and the ability to analyze work requirements and translate to application programs.
Applicants meeting the highly qualifying criteria will be forwarded to management for consideration first.
1. Demonstrable knowledge and experience in the process of software development and design, including designing, coding, and testing client/server and/or web applications that meet customer requirements.
2. Demonstrable knowledge and experience developing software applications using such tools as Visual Studio (Visual Basic with the .NET Framework), the Eclipse Integrated Development Environment (Eclipse IDE), Veryant isCOBOL, or another PC COBOL Language, such as Micro Focus Visual COBOL, AcuCOBOL, or Fujitsu COBOL/NetCOBOL.
3. Demonstrable knowledge and experience with various mainframe/server software products such as: Common Business-Oriented Language (COBOL), Job Control Language (JCL) - IBM MVS or VSE JCL, or similar job control language, and IBM Customer Information Control System (CICS).
4. Demonstrable knowledge and experience in database management and development, using such tools as: SQL Server Management Studio, Microsoft Access, and SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access Databases (SSMA).
5. Demonstrable knowledge and experience in the principles of relational database design.
6. Demonstrable knowledge and experience in creating and maintaining SQL Server databases, tables, constraints, indexes, views schemas, roles, functions, triggers, and jobs.
7. Demonstrable knowledge and experience maintaining Security Technical Implementation Guide (STIG) standards, or a similar cybersecurity requirement standard, for specific products such as Microsoft Windows operating systems and SQL Server.
To better expedite the hiring process, we recommend including full contact information (name, address, phone number, email, etc.) for professional and personal references on your resume.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Manual Application: If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 12PM on04/15/2021 in order to process your application in a timely manner. Please note that neglecting to respond to the job related questions may result in an ineligible rating.
- Additional referrals may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government's interest.
- LQA may be authorized.
- Allowances, differentials, or incentives will not be paid.
- Employment Overseas provides a lot of additional benefits & entitlements, for information click here
- Applicants must comply with the Exceptional Family Member Program, for information click here
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs. (To view kit, click this URL: https://publicfileshare.chra.army.mil/Applicants/NAF%20Applicant%20Information%20Kit.pdf). (If URL does not work, copy and paste the URL into browser).
How You Will Be Evaluated
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Preference - Family Member Preference (OCONUS ONLY)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Parent of a Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration - Spouse/Widow(er) of a Veteran (OAV)
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
Optional: Job Application (DA Form 3433) will be accepted in place of a Resume.
The below items are accepted and may be needed to support a qualification and/or a claimed priority/preference:
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- DA 3433
- PCS Orders
- Reasonable Accommodation Documentation
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
How to Apply
You may submit your application package using one of the two methods identified below:
- Electronically (preferred) at https://www.usajobs.gov/ and search for Vacancy Number (VIN): 11078188. Announcement closes at 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date listed on this announcement.
- Manually: Please refer to the "Additional Information" section of this announcement for instructions.
Agency contact information
AddressHU-NAF-VEHREG USAREUR VEHICLE REGISTRY
DO NOT MAIL
APO, AE 09227
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Immediate Office of the Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Army, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Your resume will be reviewed to verify that qualification requirements have been met. We appreciate your interest in this position!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597034300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.