THIS IS A TITLE 32 DUAL STATUS POSITIONLearn more about this agency
DUTY LOCATION: Combined Surface Maintenance Shop (CSMS), Windsor Locks, CT
AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1: All currently employed full-time permanent and indefinite personnel of the Connecticut Army National Guard.
Area 2: All currently employed full-time temporary technician personnel and all current traditional members of the Connecticut Army National Guard.
JOB SUMMARY: The purpose of the position is to serve as an inspector of surface maintenance equipment to ensure that physical and operating characteristics are within acceptable standards and specifications. Duties involve complex inspection work that requires a wide variety of inspection processes and techniques. May assist higher graded inspectors, as required.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. This is an excepted position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Connecticut Army National Guard.
The major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Inspects a large variety of heavy-duty mobile equipment (i.e., combat, tactical, etc.) and automotive vehicles (i.e., attack tanks, large cranes, tank retrievers, fire trucks, bridge transporters, armored vehicle launched bridges, bulldozers, road graders, crawler tractors, power shovels, self propelled earth compacting equipment, self propelled artillery, etc.).
- Inspects complex, interrelated mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electronic and electrical systems, equipment and their components while in operation or in a standby condition.
- Inspects equipment to determine repairs needed.
- Serves as inspector on Command Maintenance Evaluation Teams (COMET) and/or as a member of Maintenance Assistance and Instruction Teams (MAIT).
- May also inspect heavy artillery, small arms, powered support and other equipment or components of equal or lesser complexity.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Work is performed in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods. There is frequent standing, bending, reaching, stretching, climbing, and crouching; or working on top of, under, and in tight compartments or cramped or awkward positions. Performs strenuous work while standing, lying, or sitting. Frequently lifts and carries items, unassisted, weighing up to 40 pounds; and often exerts similar effort in pushing, pulling, and positioning parts, assemblies, and equipment. Frequently lifts and moves heavier items with the assistance of other workers or with lifting devices such as jacks, hoists, and cranes. May be required to work from ladders or work platforms at varying heights.
Occasional travel - Subject to supervisor discretion and funding availability
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- Must meet Compatible Military Assignment within one year from placement.
- Wear of the military uniform is mandatory.
- Direct Deposit is mandatory.
- Must possess a valid state drivers license.
QualificationsGENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates knowledge of equipment to be able to do routine jobs, simple preventative maintenance tasks, and is able to use common tools and equipment in the line of work.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your resume and any other supporting documentation you wish to provide must clearly substantiate you currently possess 18 months of specialized experience in the following:
- Experience or training diagnosing, repairing, overhauling, and modifying more complex vehicles, equipment, and more complicated systems.
- Experience which has provided a thorough knowledge of diagnostic equipment.
- Experience applying independent judgment in determining methods and techniques required to solve unusually complex maintenance and repair problems.
- Experience in testing, inspecting, and evaluating the work performed on vehicles, equipment and systems.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to apply a wide variety of complex inspection techniques to examine a variety of heavy-duty mobile equipment (i.e., combat, tactical, etc.) and automotive vehicles (i.e., attack tanks, large cranes, tank retrievers, fire trucks, bridge transporters, armored vehicle launched bridges, bulldozers, road graders, crawler tractors, power shovels, self propelled earth compacting equipment, self propelled artillery, etc.); that may include inspection of heavy artillery, small arms, powered support and other equipment or components of equal or lesser complexity.
- Ability to inspect complex, interrelated mechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, electronic and electrical systems, equipment and their components while in operation or in a standby condition.
- Ability to operate a large variety of test equipment, some of which is specially designed to test complex interrelated mechanical/electrical/ hydraulic/pneumatic systems.
- Ability to use specially designed testing methods and test equipment such as computerized test sets, precision gauges, electronic sensors, injector test stands, engine scopes, etc., to assure that tolerance and safety factors have been met.
COMPATIBLE MILITARY ASSIGNMENT: All applications will be considered regardless of Branch/AOC/FA/MOS. Incumbent will be required to be assigned to compatible military position within 1 year of selection. The selected individual may be required to attend formal technician school training.
MILITARY GRADE (Prior to Application): Enlisted: E-4 through E-8
COMPATIBLE MILITARY ASSIGNMENT: ECMF: 12, 13, 14, 19, 25, 88, 91, 92, 94
UNIT OF ASSIGNMENT: Any unit within the state
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: This position is covered by the medical monitoring program. Individual selected must undergo a pre-employment physical examination prior to appointment. For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or are principally employed.
No substitution of education for specialized experience.
Primary Change of Station (PCS) relocation expenses will NOT be paid.
Under 32 U.S.C. 709, Veterans Preference does NOT apply.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
MILITARY INCENTIVES - BONUSES AND STUDENT LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM: If you are selected for this position, you may lose your eligibility for your National Guard Enlistment/Reenlistment Bonus and Student Loan Repayment Program (incentives). In order to avoid losing your incentive eligibility, you should check with your serving incentive manager (CTARNG-G1 or CTANG-Retention Office) prior to accepting an offer for the position. For M-Day/Traditional personnel who are currently receiving incentives to include Bonuses and the Student Loan Repayment Program, the following termination rule applies:
Incentive Termination without Recoupment: If you accept a Military Technician (Mil Tech) Permanent position where membership in the National Guard is a condition of employment, your bonus will be terminated with no recoupment as long as you have served at least 6 months of the bonus contract following receipt of the initial bonus payment.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Please ensure you follow all instructions carefully. Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. Applicant must ensure resume and any other required supporting documentation clearly portrays that s/he meets the required experience level for the position. Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities under each position you have held with each employer. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YYYY; and total hours worked per week). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume showing relevant experience
- Responses to the Assessment Questionnaire
- Unofficial Transcripts, if used to qualify (An official transcript may be required before being hired.)
- OF 306 - Declaration of Federal Employment (THIS FORM NEEDS YOUR SIGNATURE ON PAGE 2 AND MUST BE DATED WITHIN SIX MONTHS OF THE CLOSING DATE STATED ON THE ANNOUNCEMENT)
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 04/09/2021 on to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
Windsor Locks, CT 06096
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Army National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Thank you for your interest in the Connecticut National Guard!
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596462200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.