This National Guard position is for a AIRCRAFT MECHANIC (T32), Position Description Number D1366000and is part of the AL 117TH Air Refueling Wing, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
This position is located within a National Guard aircraft maintenance organization. Its primary purpose is to inspect, repair, modify, and service aircraft systems, components, and assemblies, both on- and off-aircraft.
ORGANIZATION: 117TH AIR REFUELING WING, BIRMINGHAM, AL
SELECTING OFFICIAL: SMSGT W. NELSON
As a AIRCRAFT MECHANIC (T32), WG-8852-10, you will perform the following duties:
(1) Performs inspections, functional checks, and preventive maintenance on aircraft to include periodic, phase, hourly, preflight, postflight, calendar, thru-flight, and special inspections such as fuel contamination, emergency equipment, and oil sampling. Inspects and performs functional checks such as landing gear retraction and operation checks on hydraulic, electrical, pressurization, lubrication, de-icing, vacuum, induction, and exhaust systems. Installs equipment such as external tanks, tow reels, hoists, and pylons.
(2) Troubleshoots and performs unscheduled maintenance on assigned and transient aircraft, utilizing various gauges, meters, measuring devices and other related test equipment. Performs major adjustments and alignments of aircraft systems or components and assists specialists as required. Removes and replaces aircraft components such as control surfaces, engines, constant speed drive, engine mounted gear boxes, wing fuel tanks or cells, landing gear mechanisms, wheels, brakes and tires. Services oil, fluid, fuel, hydraulic, and oxygen systems. Adjusts and maintains installed equipment such as tow targets, hydraulic reels, and drive assemblies. Removes and replaces working or inoperative parts and elements. Performs operator maintenance on aircraft installed auxiliary power units. Tows, taxies, parks, and moors assigned and transient aircraft. Meets and debriefs the aircrew on the status of the aircraft. Launches and recovers assigned and transient aircraft to include those on alert status. Performs end-of-runway inspections prior to take-off. Inspects for conditions such as oil, fuel and hydraulic leaks; damaged tires; and loose panels which would make the aircraft unsafe for flight.
(3) May be required to perform user and organizational level maintenance on assigned support equipment, including inspection, repair, modification, and corrosion prevention. Inventories, controls, stores and repairs 780 equipment. Accomplishes and reviews nonpowered AGE and 780 equipment records relating to assigned equipment.
(4) Provides data for aircraft maintenance historical records, complete maintenance data collection, man-hour accounting, and other forms as required. Assists the aircraft maintenance supply function in identifying parts and stock numbers and obtaining necessary parts and tools to perform assigned duties.
(5) Instructs, directs, and assigns maintenance repair tasks to drill status guard members. Observes work and ensures compliance with standard procedures and applicable technical publications.
(6) Complies with safety, fire, security, and housekeeping regulations. Ensures that material and equipment are properly stored, protected, maintained and secured.
(7) Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluations such as MEI, ORI, IG and UE inspections, mobility and command support exercises. May be required to perform such additional duties as structural fire fighting, aircraft fire/crash/ rescue duty, security guard, snow removal, munitions loading and handling, heavy equipment operator, maintenance of facilities and equipment, or serve as a member of a team to cope with natural disasters or civil emergencies.
(8) Performs other duties as assigned.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military grade in the Alabama Air National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Alabama Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Alabama Air National Guard recruiter at 800-464-8273 prior to applying for this position.
DO NOT COPY THE VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT OR THE POSITION DESCRIPTION.
Maximum Military Rank: TSGT
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience or training that has provided the candidate with the skill to remove and replace aircraft parts, accessories, and components, and to make adjustments and settings according to established specifications. Must be skilled in the use of hand tools and test equipment.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 18 months experience or training installing, adjusting, aligning, troubleshooting and functionally testing the various major and minor mechanical and pneudraulic systems on an aircraft during overhaul or modification. Experience coordinating the work of other mechanics, and scheduling maintenance to ensure completion of critical actions and optimum workflow. Must have the ability to instruct lower graded mechanics, military and other personnel in the disassembly and re-assembly of crash damaged engines, transmissions, gearboxes, hydraulic components, and fuel controls sufficient for the exhibit to be returned to its shipping container.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of the makeup, operation, and installation of a variety of systems, assemblies, and surfaces is required. Knowledge to determine when new surfaces, assemblies, and systems should be installed, or repaired through replacement of new parts and components. Knowledge of types and extent of adjustments and alignments required. Skill in the removal, replacement and adjustment of various systems assemblies, and surfaces or any of their components and parts. Skill in connecting, meshing and adjusting surfaces, assemblies, and systems with one another. Knowledge and skill to use precision test equipment, technical data, schematics, wiring diagrams, mathematical formulas, common hand tools, jigs, templates, and various gauges.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION IS NOT CONSIDERED FOR WAGE GRADE POSITIONS.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
PLEASE DO NOT SEND/FAX/COURIER/EMAIL ANY APPLICATIONS OR RESUMES TO THE ALABAMA NATIONAL GUARD HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE. The Human Resources Office can only process materials received through USA Jobs. Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed.
2. Other supporting documents: SF-50 and DD214s are recommended, but not required.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Your resume must have complete information: Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities under each position you have held with each employer. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information for each job entry (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YY). If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will not be considered for this position.
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressAL 117TH Air Refueling Wing
5401 East lake blvd
Birmingham, AL 35217-3595
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/594562200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.