This National Guard position is for a SUPERVISORY POLICE OFFICER - TITLE 32 - OPEN UNTIL FILL, Position Description Number D2127000 and is part of the AZ 161st Air Refueling Wing, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
APPOINTMENT FACTORS: This position is in the Federal/Excepted Civil Service. The tentatively selected individual will receive an Conditional Appointment and may be converted to permanent based on availability of funds or position no longer being encumbered.
The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a first level supervisor and/or flight chief, providing planning, directing, organizing, and exercising control over nonsupervisory employees assigned to the Security Forces Flight.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
- This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
- Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
- Work may occasionally require travel away from the normal duty station on military or commercial aircraft.
- The work requires a valid driver's license and the incumbent must be able to operate all Security Forces Vehicles and installed equipment.
- Incumbent must be qualified in the use of required weapons, as the incumbent will be required to use firearms in performing duties.
- May be required to work other than normal duty hours. Overtime may be required.
- May be required to wear special protective clothing such as coats, boots, vests, respirator masks, and/or helmets.
- Must undergo initial and periodic job compatibility assessments.
- Must obtain and maintain first responder training/certifications required in CPR techniques, self-aid buddy care, and first aid on the job and maintain annually.
- Must maintain an Air Force Network License.
Military Grades: E5/SSGT - E7/MSGT
Compatible Military Assignments: 3P051 or HIGHER
A National Guard Title 32 Dual Status applicant must have a validated understanding of the basic principles and concepts of the occupational series and grade. Must have at least six months of working experiences and the successful completion of the Air Force Technical Training AFSC/Security Forces School
Must have experiences in performing practical security force activities in direct support of the military weapon systems and physical security; law and order; and area security operations. The work experiences are in law enforcement, maintaining law and order, preserving the peace, and protecting life and civil rights within the jurisdiction of military installations. Have general experiences in protecting federal property from hazards such as sabotage, espionage, trespass, theft, fire, and accident or willful damage and destruction. Experiences in securing crime and incident scenes; apprehending and detaining suspects; searches persons and property; and collects, seize, and preserve evidence. Experienced in conducting interviews of witnesses and suspects and obtains statements and testifies in official judicial proceedings. Has work experiences in responding to disaster and relief operations and participates in contingencies. Knowledgeable in developing plans, policies, procedures, and detailed instructions to implement security force programs. Is competent and experienced in maintaining accountability and ensuring security for weapons, ammunition, and explosives utilized in the course of instruction in accordance with applicable Air Force Instructions. Experienced in implementing ground weapons training programs. Experienced in the control and safeguarding of arms, ammunition, and equipment; and, instructs ground weapons qualification training. Have competencies in managing weapon placement to security forces and ground defense force commanders. Have experiences in inspecting ground weapons, replacing unserviceable parts, and analyzing malfunctions by inspections and serviceability testing. Have experiences in firing weapons for accuracy and serviceability. Understands how to control and operate firing ranges and associated facilities to include supervising construction and rehabilitation. Experiences may include instructions on the proper use of handguns, rifles, machine guns and other base defense/ground combat skills equipment, in accordance with approved lesson plans and course control documents. Experienced in weaponry, laws, directives, programs, policies, and procedures governing Security Forces activities; installation security; weapon system and resource security; anti-terrorism; law enforcement and investigations; military working dogs; air base defense; training; pass and registration; civilian work force; and combat arms.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge to perform supervisory personnel management responsibilities; advise and provide counsel to employees regarding policies, procedures, and directives of management.
2. Ability to to serve as a first level supervisor and/or flight chief, providing planning, directing, organizing, and exercising control over nonsupervisory employees assigned to the Security Forces Flight.
3. Ability to manage and identify employee developmental needs and provides or arranges for training (formal and on-the-job) to maintain and improve job performance; encourages self-development.
4. Ability to perform or supervise law enforcement work in the preservation of the peace; the prevention, detection, and investigation of crimes; the arrest or apprehension of violators; and the provision of assistance to citizens in emergency situations, including the protection of civil rights.
5. Knowledge to ability to represent the Security Forces Squadron (SFS) with a variety of functional area organizations, establish, develop, and maintain effective working relationships with the base community; meet with key customer and coordinating officials to assess customer satisfaction, explain organization policy and procedures, and resolve problems that arise.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed or the Optional Form 612.
2. Applicant MUST submit complete RIP (Report on Individual Personnel) and/or other documentation to verify possession of Rank and AFSC.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11041068A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressAZ 161st Air Refueling Wing
3200 East Old Tower Road
Phoenix, AZ 85034-7263
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/593859500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.