Click on "Learn more about this agency" button below to view Eligibilities being considered and other IMPORTANT information.Learn more about this agency
The primary purpose of this position is to provide student trainee who has been appointed to the Pathways Program with on-the-job training and guidance to further student engineering development.
- Performs selected tasks and phases of routine studies and projects that require application of basic occupational field theory and principles in the technical area of Engineering.
- Participates with senior personnel in conducting non-routine projects.
- Provides assistance in planning, monitoring, and conducting special studies, projects, and initiatives.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Must meet suitability requirements for Federal employment
- Must be at least 16 years of age
- Must be enrolled at least half-time at a qualiflying accredited institution
- Must sign a Participant Agreement
- U.S. citizen or national (resident of American Samoa or Swains Island)
- Males 18 years or older must be registered for Selective Service, see Legal and Regulatory Guidance
- You must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Accepted for enrollment or enrolled in an approved program
- Enrollment must be at least half-time course load as defined by the education institution (typically six hours or equivalent for undergraduate and three hours or equivalent for graduate)
- Meet the qualification standards of the position
- Have a good academic standing (no less than 2.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 grading scale for bachelor's programs and 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 grading scale for master's program)
EDUCATION: You must currently be enrolled in school. You must meet the following education for appropriate grade level. Failure to submit transcripts and proof of enrollment will result in an ineligible rating.
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-01: Current enrollment in a high school diploma program.
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-02: Completion of a high school diploma or equivalent no later than June 2021 AND acceptance or current enrollment in an accredited college/university
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-03: Completion of 30 semester hours or more of post high school study leading towards a qualifying degree in the field of business (i.e. associate's, bachelor's, master's, etc.)
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-04: completion of 60 semester hours or more of post-high school study leading towards a degree (i.e. associate's, bachelor's, master's, etc.).
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-05: Completion of 120 semester hours or more of post high school study leading towards a qualifying degree (i.e. associate's, bachelor's, master's, etc.)
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-07: Completion of 18 semester hours or more of graduate level education or completion of degree requirements for a bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement and current enrollment in a graduate degree program.
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-09: Completion of 2 academic years of graduate level education or master's equivalent graduate degree.
Qualifications for Student Trainee GS-11: For research positions completion of all requirements for a master's or equivalent degree.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
This position has an education requirement. You MUST provide transcripts or Official Letter of Enrollment to support your educational claims. An accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education must accredit education. Click here to check accreditation.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
The Pathways Student Internship offers valuable work experience directly related to your academic field of study. This is your opportunity to begin a successful Federal civilian career with the United States Air Force. As an Intern, you will be given the opportunity to gain the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to pursue a successful career with the US Air Force and upon completing your degree and meeting conversion eligibility requirements, be eligible for placement in a permanent position. However, it is important to remember that eligibility for conversion does not guarantee you will be offered a permanent position. The length of Internship is normally two years or when you complete your academic program and degree requirements.
This internship is to provide a learning opportunity for a student enrolled in a field of study relating to their career path, to enhance their future goals and improve their knowledge with work experience in a working environment
The entire period served under the Internship Program counts as the participant's trial period.
Interns may work part-time or full-time schedules.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application. The Vacancy ID is 11041464
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application. Applicants who do not submit required documentation to determine eligibility and qualifications will be eliminated from consideration. Other documents may be required based on the eligibility/eligibilities you are claiming. Click here to view the AF Civilian Employment Eligibility Guide and the required documents you must submit to substantiate the eligibilities you are claiming.
- Online Application: Questionnaire
- Resume: For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week (if part-time) and dates of employment (i.e., month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your pay plan, series and grade, i.e. GS-0301-09. Current Federal Civilian Employees should list any relevant performance related rating (given within the last three years) and/or incentive awards in your resume. Do NOT include photographs (or links to social media such as LinkedIn), inappropriate material, inappropriate content, nor personal information such as age, gender, religion, social security number, etc., on your resume.
- Proof of enrollment/class registration
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans: If claiming VEOA, VRA or 30% Disabled Veteran - Submit VOW certification memo or copy of the official DD-Form 214, which must include the character of service (i.e., with an honorable or general discharge). This will be annotated in block 24 on member copy 2, 4, or 7 of the DD-Form 214. If claiming 30% Disabled Veteran, you must also submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces. NOTE: All veterans claiming 10-point preference must also submit a SF-15.
- Name/Rank/Grade of Service Member
- Branch of Armed Forces
- Dates of Active Service (Start and End Date(s)
- Expected Date of Discharge/Release from Active Duty
- Terminal leave start date (if applicable)
- Expected character of service/discharge and type of separation (i.e. separation or retirement)
- Must be certified within 120 days of anticipated discharge
- Signature by, or by direction of the adjutant, personnel office, unit commander, or higher headquarters commander.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 06/23/2021
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11041464
To begin the process, click the Apply Online button to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the Submit My Application button at the end of the process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications). If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent."
- It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week (if part-time) and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
3. Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOT modify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
AddressWright Patterson AFB Pathways
2000 Allbrook Drive
Wright Patterson AFB, OH 45433
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force has a vision of Global Vigilance, Reach and Power. That vision orbits around three core competencies: Developing Airmen, Technology-to-Warfighting and Integrating Operations. Core competencies and distinctive capabilities are based on a shared commitment to three core values -- integrity first, service before self, and excellence in all we do.
Are you looking for a unique internship opportunity to gain valuable work experience? An internship with the Department of the Air Force offers challenging work, and the satisfaction of knowing you've made a difference. We're offering you an exciting opportunity to gain "real world" experience as an Intern in the Pathways Program.
You MUST have one or more identified eligibilities in order to be considered. Eligibility claims must be supported with required documentation submitted within each application package to be considered.
- US Citizen
Once your application package is received an acknowledgement email will be sent.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application.Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility and qualifications for consideration. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
If you do not provide an email address, you are responsible for checking status updates and notifications in USAJOBS. Hard copy notifications will not be sent to you.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/592984600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.