THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION THAT REQUIRES MILITARY MEMBERSHIP.Learn more about this agency
This National Guard position is for a IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK), Position Description Number PDD1937000 and is part of the Mississippi National Guard.
As a IT SPECIALIST (NETWORK), GS-2210-11, you will function as a technical specialist on issues relating to the wide area network (WAN) and local area network (LAN) systems and their integration in the network within the span of control of the ASUS. The work involves network administration, optimization and performance in support of the ASUS Staff and assigned USAF units. Provides guidance, recommendations, and instruction to support command and control integrated networks throughout the USAF. Due to the unique mission of the cNAF, this PD cannot be used in any other organization.
(1) Oversees the status and functionality of multiple base local area network (LAN) and wide area network (WAN) for units within the USAF. Monitors, tests, analyzes, maintains, and operates multiple operating system based network platforms and provides recommendations to units in support of USAF tasking. Executes procedures and coordinates corrective action to optimize network performance. Assists in the planning, development, configuration, installation, and maintenance of network systems to include the LAN/WAN and provides guidance and recommendations to units. Analyzes LAN/WAN utilization statistics through data collection and performance measures to ensure smooth, reliable, and robust operation to include classified and unclassified networks for the ASUS Staff and other supporting organizations. Determines whether the facility environment is adequate for network system requirements, and infrastructure is in place to support systems and the war fighter. Provides guidance and coordination of LAN installation, implementation, maintenance, troubleshooting, and reviews, evaluates, and fine-tunes components such as; hubs, switches, and routers to achieve peak efficiency within the overall network connectivity. Installs, configures, and troubleshoots network and application server hardware, network operating system software, and peripheral network equipment such as routers, bridges, cabling system, network interface cards, modems, multiplexers, and concentrators. Recommends and changes the components of existing equipment for efficient operation or recommends major modifications to existing systems in support of USAF network operations. Coordinates the development and implementation of configuration plans for complex network operating systems, network application software, LANs and WANs with supported elements to include headquarters staff elements, tenant activities, state government, regional operating activities and national agencies. Maintains contact with software suppliers to ensure that current releases of software products are in use. Utilizes benchmarks and performance measurement and evaluation data to manage network servers and data communication devices to support normal and surge workload. Works with technical support personnel in resolving critical network problems. Ensures current network software products are compatible with system configurations and ensures operability, efficiency, and compliance with existing standards. Oversees and troubleshoots operation of the LAN/WAN and ensures hardware and network operating software are functioning properly and that operation standards are met. Function-tests system components to identify and resolve technical problems, analyze system malfunctions, implements necessary corrective actions, and provides ongoing support for the resolution of complex problems and operating malfunctions. Performs system backups to ensure expedient restoration of the database for the respective network equipment. Ensures currency of backups of network equipment configuration data. Ensures the vigorous application of information security/information assurance policies in the delivery of network services.
(2) Determines customer requirements and assists customers by recognizing and analyzing trends and providing instruction and orientation services. Identifies and documents network requirements for specific needs of customers and organizations. Conducts in-depth analyses of network usage, user complaints, traffic interruptions, hardware and software capabilities, and other relevant factors. Recommends methods and procedures and coordinates corrective action to optimize utilization of present equipment. Ensures that upgrades to headquarters staff elements, tenant activities, state government, regional operating activities and national agencies IT infrastructures are identified and assists customers in developing and submitting recommendations for additional equipment and funds.
(3) Performs other duties as assigned.
Details of the duties and responsibilities are contained in the applicable position description located online, on the FASCLASS website. https://acpol2.army.mil/fasclass/search_fs/search_fasclass.asp
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: E1-E7
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT & NOTES:
1. Must be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate security clearance of the position.
2. This position is covered by the Domestic Violence Misdemeanor Amendment (30 Sep 96) of the Gun Control Act (Lautenberg Amendment) of 1968. An individual convicted of a qualifying crime of domestic violence may not perform the duties of this position.
3. Ability to establish effective professional working relationships with coworkers and customers, contributing to a cooperative working environment and successful accomplishment of the mission.
4. May occasionally be required to work other than normal duty hours; overtime may be required.
5. The duties and responsibilities of your job may significantly impact the environment. You are responsible to maintain awareness of your environmental responsibilities as dictated by legal and regulatory requirements, your organization, and its changing mission.
QualificationsThis is an indefinite position, tenure 3, with a time limit determined by the needs of the agency. Any permanent military technician who is selected for this position will become tenure 3. The selectee will receive the same benefits and entitlements as the tenure 1 employee, but will be considered tenure 3 for purposes of reduction in force. If a permanent resource becomes available, incumbent may be converted to a permanent appointment without competition.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
MILITARY MEMBERS WITH BONUSES: Upon acceptance of a military technician position military members who are currently receiving a military Reenlistment/Extension Bonus (REB) or GI Bill-SR Kicker may lose incentive eligibility and may be subject to termination or suspension of incentive (includes indefinite and temporary technicians on assignment for more than 180 days in any continuous 12-month period).
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 36 months experience, education, or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptations of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where is involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion.
If your resume does not include a narrative description of how you meet the GENERAL, SPECIALIZED experiences, and OTHER requirements, you may lose consideration for this position. Ensure that the Questionnaire is completed online in Application Manager.
NOTES TO CANDIDATES:
a. Situations of inversion of military rank are not permitted, i.e., a military technician may not be militarily senior to his or her full-time supervisor.
b. Candidates may be screened and evaluated on military attributes directly related to the compatible military position required to be assigned into, such as, but not limited to, military bearing, leadership, or ability to work with others (teamwork) in a military environment.
c. Include any volunteer work experience in your resume. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social).
d. Final selection will be based upon qualifications, suitability, and available manpower resources.
e. This employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm work authorization.
f. Multiple vacancies may be filled from this announcement.
g. If this announcement results in a temporary promotion for the selectee, it may become permanent at any time without further competition dependent on funding and manpower requirements.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
Undergraduate or Graduate Education: Degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management or degree that provided a minimum of 24 semester hours in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of applications, systems or networks.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
For qualifications determinations your resume must contain SALARIES, HOURS WORKED PER WEEK, AND THE DATES OF EMPLOYMENT FOR EACH JOB.
$55,000 per year; 40 hours per week, January 2001-July 2009 or January 2001-present.
If your resume does not contain this information, your application will be marked as incomplete and you will not receive consideration for this position.
2. OF 306 Can be found at https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of0306.pdf
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11029165~
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressMS 186 ARW
6225 M Street
Meridian, MS 39307-7112
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/591537600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.