THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for a FLIGHT SERVICES SPECIALIST TITLE 5, Position Description Number (PDT5287000) and is part of the AZ 161st Air Refueling Wing, National Guard.Learn more about this agency
- THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- Work may require access to classified information. Must possess the appropriate security clearance.
- The incumbent of this position description must have, at a minimum, a completed National Agency Check (NAC) prior to position assignment.
- Irregular hours may be required to support operational requirements or contingencies.
- This position is designated as Essential Personnel and may be subject to duty in preparation for, or in response to, a state emergency or disaster declaration.
- This designation will not exceed 14 calendar days per year unless otherwise approved in advance by the TAG.
This position is located at the 161st Air Refueling Wing, Phoenix, Arizona. The position is responsible for coordinating and maintaining liaison with military, federal, and local agencies concerning airspace utilization, flying operations, aircraft emergencies, search and rescue operations, and natural disasters. This full- performance level position provides direct support to unit and other military and civilian aircrews during scheduled and unscheduled flying and ground activities. The incumbent works independently on standard and extended and/or rotating shifts to provide aircrews with information and assistance necessary for planning and conducting safe flight operations. Performs other duties as assigned.
GS-07: Must have at least 12 months experience, education, or training in working with directives and regulations governing transportation of essential items (ex. personnel, cargo, freight, food, equipment, or medical supplies). Knowledge of freight rating, classification of carrier's agreement, and contracts for the transportation of personnel, cargo or freight. Experience which includes planning, organizing, and
GS-09: Must have at least 24 months experience, education, or training in mission planning for preflight, in-flight, ground or command and control (C2) duties according to specific transportation functions. Receives, interprets, extracts, and disseminates relevant data for mission planning or execution. Experience coordinating and negotiating with organizations/personnel both orally and in writing to resolve differences/problems.
NOTE: For positions requiring the operation of motor vehicles, candidates must have a valid state driver's license for the state in which they live or are principally employed.
NOTE: For positions requiring a security clearance (Secret or Top Secret) the applicant must possess or be able to obtain a clearance within one year of appointment.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in fields listed below leading to a bachelor's degree, in an accredited college or university, meets the GS-5 level requirements. Education - Undergraduate and Graduate Education: Major study -- accounting, business administration, business or commercial law, commerce, economics, engineering, finance, industrial management, statistics, traffic management, transportation, motor mechanics, or other fields related to the position.
You must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
In accordance with 5 CFR §335.106, Veteran's Preference will be considered for vacancies under merit promotion when an agency accepts applications from individuals outside its own workforce.
Eligible veterans must claim their veterans' preference on their resume and during the application process for federal positions using the proper documentation. To receive the 5 point preference (TP) rating the individual must provide member copy 4 of their Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214) for verification. To receive the 10 point preference the Application for 10-Point Veterans Preference form (SF-15) must accompany application and additional documentation detailing characterization of service.
Veterans Preference will be considered for this Job Announcement under the Category Rating method QUALIFIED and NOT QUALIFIED.
If you are unsure if you can claim Veterans Preference click the link to see if you may be eligible: https://webapps.dol.gov/elaws/vets/vetpref/choice.htm
Visit the OPM Vet Guide for information on the different categories of Veterans Preference at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide-for-hr-professionals/#4
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Ability to Provides preflight briefings to military and civilian aircrews, including those of foreign governments and civilian contractors on CONUS/International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) flight plans.
2. Ability to furnish pilots with full range of necessary information pertinent to planning and completing their intended flight safely and assists them in making preflight decisions and calculations when required.
3. Knowledge to review and evaluate proposed flight plans for technical accuracy and compliance with USAF, FAA, DOD and ICAO directives.
4. Knowledge to communicate with pilots in flight, through the use of air-to-ground communication, with information regarding flight plans; clearances; advisories on local, enroute, and destination airfield conditions; messages; and other data effecting safety of flight.
5. Ability to schedule and coordinate use of military special use airspace/facilities including air refueling areas, military operating areas, and landing and drop zones.
6. Knowledge to inspect or ensure the inspection of ANG tarmac parking and Federal taxi ways daily (or more often as required) for such flying safety hazards as: foreign object debris, violations of lateral clearance criteria, and hazards to landing, take-off, taxiing or parking areas.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Your resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.) of employment and duties performed or the Optional Form 612.
2. Applicant MUST submit a completed AZNG Form 335-2-R (Knowledge, Skill and Ability Supplement) or a separate document explaining how they meet each Knowledge, Skill and Ability listed above.
3. If you are using education to qualify for this position OR education is a mandatory requirement to meet qualifications, YOU MUST submit copies of college transcripts that identify each course, the college or university, semester or quarter hours earned, grade and grade-point received. Submitting a certificate or a degree will not suffice. You must submit transcripts when required. Photocopies are acceptable.
4. If you have been or currently are a Federal Civil Service employee, please submit a copy of your last Notification of Personnel Action, Form SF-50. If you have never been a Federal Civil Service employee, this is not a requirement. This is also not a requirement for current National Guard employees of the Arizona National Guard.
Are you a veteran claiming 5-point veterans' preference or claiming sole survivorship preference? You must submit a copy of your latest DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (any copy that shows all dates of service, as well as character of service [Honorable, General, etc.] is acceptable) OR a VA letter that shows dates of service or service connected disability AND character of service. If you have more than one DD-214 for multiple periods of active duty service, submit a copy for each period of service. If you were issued a DD-215 to amend aforementioned information on the DD-214 you must submit that too. If you are not sure of your preference eligibility, visit the Department of Labor's website: Veterans' Preference Advisor.
Are you a disabled veteran or claiming 10-point veterans' preference? If you are eligible to claim 10 point veterans preference you must submit a DD-214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty as described above for 5-point preference.
You must also provide the applicable supporting documentation of your disability (e.g. disability letter from the VA) as described on Standard Form-15 (SF-15). http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf.
NOTE: Prior to appointment, an agency will require the service member to provide a copy of the DD-214.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application/Occupational Questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. To view the Occupational Questionnaire, click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10985017A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
AddressAZ 161st Air Refueling Wing
3200 East Old Tower Road
Phoenix, AZ 85034-7263
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 5 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
APPOINTMENT FACTORS: This position is in the Federal/Excepted Civil Service. The tentatively selected individual will receive an Indefinite Appointment and may be converted to permanent based on availability of funds or position no longer being encumbered.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Air National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589940000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.