This position is located in the Infrastructure Management Branch, Office of the Chief Information Officer, Federal Election Commission. The Infrastructure Management Branch works to provide Infrastructure Management and coordinate management of communications and computing platforms, including Network Services, Desktop Support and Data Center Management to help the Agency achieve operating mission, meet legislative mandates, and deliver computing and network services to users.Learn more about this agency
As the IT Specialist (SysAdmin) in this position, you will:
- Serve as the subject matter expert and coordinates critical and sensitive information for the Federal Election Commission, OCIO Infrastructure Branch, performing Messaging administration on systems and subsystems.
- Coordinate with other Infrastructure team members to provide total end-to-end incident management from problem resolution of email and O365 issues, detection to resolution to ensure users can rely on email, O365 features and other systems that rely on the messaging platform. Some administration will be required within the legacy Lotus Notes environment relating to O365 integration and application maintenance.
- Conduct and perform messaging related IT strategic planning and project management activities, to facilitate the implementation of the agency's IT Strategic Plan.
- Implement/install and manage the regular function of system resources in the cloud primarily in Azure and AWS.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen or national.
- You must be able to pass a background investigation.
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see Legal and regulatory guidance below).
- You may be required to serve a 2 year probationary period.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- You must meet eligibility and qualification requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
- Status candidates must meet time-in-grade/band requirements (52 weeks at the next lower grade).
- This is a Bargaining position.
QualificationsIn order to qualify, you must meet the experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience. If qualifying based on education, a copy of your unofficial transcripts must be provided with your application.
Have one year of specialized experience that is O365 and Cloud IT system related and demonstrates each of the following competencies: attention to detail, customer service, oral communication, and problem solving. This must include activities such as: (1) evaluating plans and proposals for major Agency Information Technology (IT) and Projects as they relate to O365; (2) providing and coordinating management of communications and computing platforms, including O365 to help achieve operating mission, and deliver computing and network services to users. (3) reviewing, analyzing, and planning of systems projects, and conversions to implement the strategic architecture for Infrastructure Management; (4) understanding cloud system components and working knowledge of cloud development platform capabilities. This experience must be comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service (obtained either in private or public sectors).
In addition, you must provide a cover letter describing your experience with the competencies identified below:
Systems Management-Responsible for the operations of messaging systems, ensuring availability, functionality, integrity, and efficiency for users, and for installation of systems change packaged and other software or hardware upgrades.
Project Management-Applies principles, methods, or tools for developing, scheduling, coordinating, monitoring, evaluating, and managing projects and resources, including technical performance.
Oral Communication-Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
Network Administration-Knowledge of the operation, management, security, and maintenance of network and Cloud systems and linked systems and peripherals with an emphasis on security.
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit the United States Office of Personnel Management's website.
Part-time or unpaid experience: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
Volunteer work experience: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment.You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Information Technology certifications preferred but not required.
FEC offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; or transportation subsidies.
If you receive a tentative offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
Noncompetitive Appointment Authorities: The following links contain information on the eligibility requirements to be considered under a noncompetitive appointing authority:
Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans
Special Hiring Authority for Certain Military Spouses
Other Special Appointment Authorities
Additional selections may be made from this announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement closes, we will conduct a review of your application package to verify your eligibility and qualifications. If you are found qualified, your application will move forward to additional phases of the review process which will determine the best qualified candidates. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Network Administration
- Oral Communication
- Project Management
- Systems Management
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume listing hours worked per week, dates of employment (month/year) and duties performed for each position held.
- Cover Letter which addresses the competencies identified in the Qualifications section above. Please limit your cover letter to 2 pages.
- Other supporting documents if applicable:
- Veterans documents (if claiming preference, or applying under VEOA or 30% disabled veteran eligibility): DD-214 including character of service, or certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions within 120 days, and if applicable, SF-15 Form, VA letter, or other documentation required by that form.
- SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action (if applying as a current or former Federal Employee) showing you hold/held a career/career-conditional appointment and the highest grade or promotion potential held.
- Certain Family Members of Overseas Employees Eligible under E.O. 12721: Your most recent non-award SF-50 and performance appraisal.
- Certain Military Spouses Eligible under E.O. 13473: Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, issued within the last 2 years, that lists you as authorized to accompany the Military member to the new duty permanent station; OR verification of the member's 100% disability (VA Letter); and/or verification of the member's death while on active duty (DD-1300 and Death Certificate) AND verification of the marriage to the service member (i.e., a marriage license or other legal documentation verifying marriage).
- Peace Corps volunteers and VISTA members: submit a copy of your description of service or other proof of non-competitive eligibility. If you are a former Peace Corps volunteer or VISTA member who is requesting an extension of your non-competitive eligibility, please also provide the necessary documentation to support your request.
- Schedule A, Persons with Disabilities Appointment Eligibles: Schedule A letter from a physician, local, state or federal rehabilitation or benefits office citing disability - eligibility under 5 CFR 213.3102 (u).
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 01/25/2021 to receive consideration.
To begin, click Apply Online. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account or you may need to create a new account.
You will be taken to an online application. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation, and submit the application. You will receive an email notification when your application has been received for the announcement.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Application Status page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and your responses submitted to the online application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
Agency contact information
San Antonio Services Branch
AddressFederal Election Commission
1050 First Street NE
Washington, DC 20463
The Federal Election Commission (FEC) is an independent federal agency with exclusive jurisdiction over the administration, interpretation, and civil enforcement of the Federal Election Campaign Act, which requires disclosure of campaign contributions and expenditures by candidates for Federal office and committees supporting those candidates, and imposes limitations on the amount and sources of such contributions. The FEC also administers the federal programs that provide public funding to qualified candidates for President and Vice President. By ensuring that the required campaign finance disclosures are made and that the campaign finance rules are effectively and fairly enforced, the Commission seeks to foster the electorate's confidence in the integrity of the nation's political process. The FEC is headed by six Commissioners, no more than three of whom may represent the same political party, who are appointed by the President with the advice and consent of the Senate.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Federal Election Commission, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your complete application is received, we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications. Additional phases of the review process will determine the best qualified candidates, and whether or not your application is referred to the selecting official. You will be contacted directly if further evaluation or an interview is required. You will receive notifications by email about the status of your application throughout this process.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589023800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.