Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the best places to work in the federal government! The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Jobs Website.Learn more about this agency
During the current period of maximum telework required by the Agency’s COVID-19 response, telework will be maximized. When it is determined the Agency will be moving to the reopening phase, the expectation will be to physically return to the office at the USPTO – Alexandria, VA campus. Telework days and any waiting period for eligibility will be determined at that time.
This position is located in the Office of the Director, Office of Administrative Services (OAS), under the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO). OAS is responsible for administrating a broad range of administrative and employee support service programs responsive to the needs of the USPTO workforce. In conjunction with the Director, the Deputy Director, OAS oversees programs, missions, and functions of the OAS. The incumbent is responsible to the Director for managing OAS employees in a way that maximizes agency performance.
NOTE: This position is designated as CRITICAL SENSITIVE (3N) and requires clearance at the SECRET level. The position supervises the Security and Safety Division and may need to be briefed regarding classified information (COOP/incidents, etc.)
As the Deputy Director of OAS, the incumbent will be performing the following duties:
- Planning, prioritizing and assigning work; collaborating with peers and subordinates to assure effective advisory services; and otherwise ensuring continuous process towards stated goals. Managing, through subordinate supervisors and staff, budget and real property for the USPTO.
- Serving as primary contact for Department of Commerce data calls relating to sustainability, energy intensity, real property, personal property, mail, security, motor vehicles, etc.
- Managing and coordinating the collective efforts of a multi-disciplined staff of employees participating in planning, directing, integrating, and executing aspects of assigned programs.
- Developing goals and objectives that integrate the Office of Administrative Services and USPTO goals and objectives.
- Establishing, revising, or reviewing policies, procedures, mission objectives and organization design for the staff, as necessary to eliminate work problems or barriers to mission accomplishment, promoting team building, implementing quality improvements, or in response to concerns with regulatory compliance and/or customer requirements.
- Working in conjunction with the Contracting Officer’s Technical Representatives (COTR) to approve terms and conditions set forth in contract negotiations, contracting plans, budgets, and changes to the scope of work to be done by the contractor.
- Representing the Office of Administrative Services at higher levels within USPTO and with contractor organizations. Establishing, developing, and maintaining effective working relationships with key USPTO officials, managers, and supervisor.
- Delivering presentations on program status, accomplishments, problems, requirements for support, and promotion of program objectives to senior management within USPTO, and with executives of corporations holding contracts with the division.
- Establishing time phasing of program elements compatible with USPTO planning objectives. Integrates the need for special projects and initiates milestones and goals.
- Planning, organizing and conducting research on complex issues that involve major areas of uncertainty in approach, methodology, or interpretation to identify appropriate solutions.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National.
- You must meet the definition of specialized experience.
- Required to pass a background investigation and fingerprint check.
- You must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- You must be suitable for Federal employment.
- Your resume and question responses must demonstrate the job-related KSAs.
Please see requirements section.
There is no Group Coverage Qualification Standard for this series. The Individual Occupational Requirements can be found here: 0342 Series
Specialized Experience: is experience that has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the federal service.
For this position at the GS-15, the next lower grade level is a GS-14 . Specialized experience for this position includes:
Experience leading or supervising a team of employees within an administrative operation to include program management for real property and leases, facilities and space, asset and property management, safety and security, emergency management and continuity of operations, transportation and commuter services, records and information collections, warehouse operations, and contract administration; and managing all phases of major projects and operational studies within an administrative services environment.
The incumbent must possess the following supervisory competencies to be successful in this position:
Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
Customer Service: Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
Decisiveness: Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
Flexibility: Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
Integrity/Honesty: Behaves in an honest, fair, and ethical manner. Shows consistency in words and actions. Models high standards of ethics.
Interpersonal Skills: Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations.
Oral Communication: Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed.
Problem Solving: Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
Resilience: Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
Written Communication: Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
Education may not be substituted for specialized experience at this grade level.
Applicants applying for this position must be a United States Citizen.
If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System. If you are exempt from registration under Selective Service Law, you must provide appropriate proof of exemption. Please visit the Selective Service System website for more information.
This is NOT a Bargaining Unit position.
This position requires a SECRET clearance level.
Background Investigation - If selected for this position, you may be required to complete a Declaration for Federal Employment (OF-306), which includes a fingerprint and credit check, to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation.
The USPTO participates in E-Verify. For more information on E-Verify, please visit the Department of Homeland Security Website.
Probationary Period- If selected, you may be required to complete an initial one-year probationary period.
Supervisory Probationary Period- If selected, you may be required to complete an initial one-year supervisory probationary period.
All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choice.
Relocation Expenses are not authorized and will not be paid.
CTAP and ICTAP candidates will be eligible for selection priority if it is determined that they have exceeded the minimum qualifications for the position by attaining at least a "well qualified" rating of 85 out of 100. Information about CTAP and ICTAP eligibility is on the Office of Personnel Management’s Career Transition Resources website at: http://www.opm.gov/ctap. CTAP/ICTAP documentation requirements are listed in the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
More than one selection may be made from this announcement if additional identical vacancies in the same title, series, grade, and unit occur within 90 days from the date the certificate was issued.
All application materials become the property of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors. If you believe that you have been discriminated against and would like to file an EEO complaint, you must do so within 45 days of the date of the alleged discriminatory act. Claims of employment discrimination must be submitted to the attention of the USPTO’s Office of Equal Employment Opportunity & Diversity via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (571-272-8292).
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the job opportunity announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the self-assessment questions (True/False, Yes/ No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are "GOLD," "SILVER," and "BRONZE". Your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the "GOLD" category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans' preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed.
The scored self assessment questions in the job announcement will evaluate you on the following competencies. Please do not provide separate responses to the KSAs.
KSA 1 - Ability to manage various administrative services functions to include program management for real property and leases, facilities and space, asset and property management, safety and security, emergency management and continuity of operations, transportation and commuter services, records and information collections, warehouse operations, and contract administration.
KSA 2 - Ability to supervise, manage and or lead employees in support of an agency's administrative programs.
KSA 3 - Ability to lead complex and diverse projects, studies, etc. and manage large budgets for a major administrative agency component.
KSA 4 - Skill in communicating effectively to a wide variety of audiences at various levels.
KSA 5 - Knowledge of federal regulations relating to energy and environmental management, safety and OSHA, building and lease management, and emergency operations.
For more information on category rating, please go to: DOC Bulletins
If you are invited for an interview, you will be asked to bring a copy of your most recent performance appraisal.
Please note that a complete application is required for consideration. (Please review the "Required Documents" section of this job announcement to see what must be included in a complete application).
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Your application and all required documents must be received by 11:59 pm ET on the closing date of this job announcement.
A complete application consists of:
1. A resume or any other written format you choose to describe your job-related qualifications; optional cover letter: Your resume should indicate your citizenship and should list your educational and work experience including titles, salary, employment dates, duties, experience and how it relates to the specialized experience in the job announcement. Please Note: Responses to job questions that are not fully supported by the information in your resume may result in adjustments to your rating. Any experience claimed in a cover letter should be substantiated by information contained in your resume. A HR Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the hiring official.
1. Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) documents - If you are a Veteran claiming eligibility under VEOA, you will be asked to submit a copy of your DD-214. Veterans must include dates of military service on their application materials, and submit a copy of each Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD-214. For more info, please visit Special Appointing Authorities for Veterans.
2. Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) documents - Applicants will be asked to submit:
(1) A copy of your specific RIF notice, written notice of your expected separation or other documents of priority consideration status;
(2) A copy of your latest SF-50 noting current position, grade, and duty location;
(3) A copy of your last performance appraisal and the rating; and
(4) Any documents from your agency that shows your current promotion potential.
You can choose ONE of the following methods to submit Supporting Documents:
1) You can upload your documents when you register or update your information on the Dept. of Commerce site which you access through the USAJobs site.
2) You can fax your documents to 571-258-4254 using the system generated fax cover sheet.
NOTE: The preceding documents requirement are based on job requirements and individual applicant eligibility. Not all documents are applicable to all applicants; if you are unsure which documents apply to you, contact the HR Specialist listed on this announcement.
Review your resume and responses carefully. Responses to job questions that are not fully supported by the information in your application package may result in adjustments to your rating. A Human Resources Representative will validate the qualifications of those candidates eligible to be referred to the hiring official.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. Alternative Work Schedule (AWS) and Telework Program are available to eligible employees.
Please visit USPTO New Employee Information for additional information.
Visit Working for the Federal Government to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
This position is also being announced under the agency's Merit Promotion procedures, the Job Announcement Number is CAO-2021-0023. Please review that announcement to determine if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion procedures.
Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is defined as information that can be traced back to a specific individual and potentially compromise their security or privacy. Examples of PII include: date of birth, Social Security Number, and place of birth.
Please ensure that you have removed all Personally Identifiable Information from all documents prior to submitting or uploading your applications material.
You MUST apply online. If you experience difficulties with the application process or do not have access to a computer, please contact the HR Specialist listed as the point of contact before the closing date of this job announcement.
If you are a new user to the USAJobs Site and have never registered for an account; you will first need to create an account profile with your basic contact information and a resume to begin applying. You must be a registered USAJobs user AND you must be signed-in to your account in order to apply for this position. For help setting up an account or for general help using USAJobs, go to USAJobs Help Page.
Once you have gathered all of the required information and are ready to begin the application process, click the "APPLY ONLINE" button at the right side of the page. You will then be directed away from USAJobs to the Department of Commerce application site for USPTO. You must click "Submit" at the end of the application process to send your application for consideration.
To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account at http://www.usajobs.gov/ and click on "Applications." Click on the position title, then select "Update Application."
If you experience any difficulties with the application site, help is available! If you have problems completing your on-line application, contact the Monster Hiring Management Help Desk at 1-866-656-6831 or by e-mail at MGSHELP@monster.com. The help desk is available Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. You may call and leave a voice mail message at all other times.
All required supporting documents will be collected electronically via the USAJobs “Saved Documents” feature.
Agency contact information
Alicia M. Matuté
AddressPATENT AND TRADEMARK OFFICE
550 Elizabeth Lane
Alexandria, Virginia 22314
This position is located in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (OCAO), Office of Administrative Services (OAS). OAS plans and administers a variety of administrative support programs responsive to the needs of the USPTO workforce. Our goal is to provide an environment that maximizes employees' ability to perform their missions by delivering these services in a way that is customer driven, achieves the best value for our clients, and enhances the agency's assets.
You will receive a notice generated by the USAJobs System when you have successfully submitted your application.
You will be notified of your application status through USAJOBS at four points during the hiring process, as applicable. You can check the status of your application by accessing the USAJOBS website at http://usajobs.gov/ and clicking on "Track Your Online Application." The four points of notification are:
1. Application Received or Application Incomplete;
2. Minimum Qualification Requirement Met or Minimum Qualification Requirement Not Met;
3. Eligible (Application Referred to the Selecting Official) or Not Eligible (Application Not Referred to the Selecting Official); and
4. Selected or Not Selected.
After all application packages have been received, we will review your application and transcript(s) (if you are qualifying based on education) to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and you may be contacted for follow-up supplemental documentation. It is the applicant’s responsibility to provide any supplemental documents or information requested by the Office of Human Resources within the allocated timeframes.
You will be required to submit official documentation prior to appointment. The agency will then verify the information provided on your application (i.e., degree, veterans’ preference, disability, etc.).
By submitting your application you are certifying the accuracy of the information contained in your application. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be terminated after you begin work; or, you may be fined or jailed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You can check the status of your application by logging into USAJOBS. You may also sign up to receive automatic emails anytime the status of your application has changed by logging into your USAJobs Account, editing your profile and changing the"Notification Settings" to indicate that you want to be notified by email when the status changes. Information regarding the status of your application should be updated in the system within 2 weeks after the closing date of this job announcement.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/588893500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.