About the Position: This position is being filled as Deputy Director, located with the U.S. Army Research and Development Center (ERDC), Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory.Learn more about this agency
Position may be filled as a Supervisory General Engineer, Supervisory Civil Engineer, Supervisory Civil Engineer (Hydraulics), Supervisory Physical Scientist, Supervisory Physicist, Supervisory Architect, Supervisory Mechanical Engineer, Supervisory Naval Architect, Supervisory Oceanographer, or Supervisory Mathematician.
- Assist in the development of new and strategic research program areas in coastal and hydraulics technical disciplines.
- Review technical proposals ensuring mission compliance, customer suitability, and budget.
- Lead a large, multidisciplinary workforce engaged in research and development and engineering studies.
- Effectively represent the Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory programs and activities at senior levels within DoD, Army, and USACE.
- Ensure efficiency of operations and utilization of resources.
- Assist in overseeing execution of the Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory research and development, engineering, and military programs.
- Serve as the Deputy Director for the U.S. Army Research and Development Center (ERDC), Coastal and Hydraulics Laboratory.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires a pre-employment financial disclosure and annually thereafter in accordance with DoD Directive 55000-7-R.
- This position has a Temporary Duty (TDY) or business travel requirement of 10% of the time.
- This is a Supervisory Position. A one year probation to assess your ability to perform supervisory duties is required unless previously completed.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance or access for the duration of employment.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Basic Education Requirement for 0801, 0810, 0830, and 0871 Series: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/general-engineering-series-0801/
Basic Education Requirement for 0808 Series: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0800/architecture-series-0808/
Basic Education Requirement for 1301 Series: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=1300-ndx
Basic Education Requirement for 1310 Series: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/physics-series-1310/
Basic Education Requirement for 1360 Series: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1300/oceanography-series-1360/
Basic Education Requirement for 1520 Series: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/1500/mathematics-series-1520/
In addition to meeting the basic requirement above to qualify for this position, you must also meet the qualification requirements listed below:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One year of specialized experience which includes extensive experience in conducting and managing Research and Development (R&D) efforts across many disciplines in basic and/or applied research; manage diverse scientific teams including engineers, scientists, technicians, and/or clerical personnel in support of interdisciplinary high performance research; experience in development of organizational funding requirements and budget estimates; and planning, integrating and/or reviewing Research and Development business requirements of the organization. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service DB-04 (GS-14).
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency in the following areas:
- Oral Communication
- Strategic Thinking
- Technical Competence
This position is covered by the Science and Technology Laboratory Personnel Management Demonstration Project at the DB-XXXX-05 (equivalent to GS-15). In accordance with the Federal Register Vol. 63, No. 57, dated March 25, 1998, an employee of the Laboratory Demonstration project must have a current average performance score of 2.5 or above in order to be selected for promotion. All applicants currently employed under a Laboratory Demonstration Project must include their most recent performance appraisal score as part of their electronic resume. If you are a Lab Demo employee submitting your resume for the first time, or if you have previously submitted your resume without your most recent score, you must submit your resume now with the following statement to be included in the section on your training: Current Performance Rating 2.5.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- One year Supervisory probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- This position requires you to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) XX - position.
- You may claim military spouse preference (MSP).
- If a MSP applicant is determined best qualified and selected, placement must be at the full performance level for priority consideration.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP). If you are a Federal employee in the competitive service and your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority for this position. To receive selection priority, you must: (1) meet ICTAP eligibility criteria (2) be rated well-qualified for the position and; (3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your ICTAP eligibility. To be considered well-qualified and receive selection priority applicants must satisfy all qualification requirements for the position and receive a score of 90 or above. Additional information about the program is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website.
- When you perform a Civilian Permanent Change of Station (PCS) with the government, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers the majority of your entitlements to be taxable. Visit https://www.dfas.mil/civilianemployees/civrelo/Civilian-Moving-Expenses-Tax-Deduction/ for more information.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) costs is authorized, subject to the provisions of the Joint Travel Regulations.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Eligible for situational telework only, including emergency and OPM prescribed "Unscheduled Telework".
- Nepotism: Under the provisions of 5 USC 3110, an individual may not be appointed into a position if the position is under the supervisory chain of command of a relative.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirements listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your résumé and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If, after reviewing your résumé and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully when applying, errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
You should list any relevant performance appraisals and incentive awards in your resume as that information may be taken into consideration during the selection process. If selected, you may be required to provide supporting documentation.
Basis for Rating: Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of three quality categories: Superior Qualified, Highly Qualified and Basically Qualified. Veteran preference eligibles are listed ahead of non-preference eligibles within each quality category.
- Superior Qualified. Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Highly Qualified. Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for the announced position.
- Basically Qualified. Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for the announced position.
The documents you are required to submit vary based on whether or not you are eligible for preference in federal employment. A complete description of preference categories and the associated required documents is in the Applicant Checklist (External).
As described above, your complete application includes your resume, your responses to the online questionnaire, and documents which prove your eligibility to apply. If you fail to provide these documents, you will be marked as having an incomplete application package and you will not be considered any further.
1. Your resume:
- Your resume may be submitted in any format and must support the specialized experience described in this announcement.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, it will not be used to make eligibility and qualification determinations and you may not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualifications determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and the dates of employment (i.e., HRS per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as incomplete and you may not receive consideration for this position.
- For additional information see: What to include in your resume.
- Cover Letter, optional
- Most recent Performance Appraisal, if applicable
- This position has an individual occupational requirement and/or allows for substitution of education for experience. If you meet this requirement based on education you MUST submit a copy of your transcript with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
- This position requires a job-related license or certification. You MUST submit a copy of your license or certification with your application package or you will be rated ineligible. See: Transcripts and Licenses
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents such as military orders and marriage certificates may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/19/2021 to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10981632).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressGR-APF-W03GAA US ARMY ENGR RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMT CTR
DO NOT MAIL
Vicksburg, MS 39183
Looking for a great place to work? The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is one of the best! In 2019, USACE ranked number three of government large-agency subcomponents! As rated by their employees, USACE supervisors strongly support employee development and opportunities to demonstrate leadership skills, while also maintaining an optimal work/life balance. The Corps offers a team-inspiring and collaborative work environment; providing challenging and rewarding careers across a variety of disciplines.
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
The U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) is one of the most diverse engineering and scientific research organizations in the world. Provides high quality, responsive engineering and environmental research and development support to the Army and Nation. As part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers team, ERDC develops innovative science and technology solutions to support war fighting, infrastructure, environmental, water resources and disaster operations. It consists of seven laboratories at four geographical sites in Vicksburg, MS; Champaign, IL; Hanover, NH and Alexandria, VA. ERDC employs more than 2,000 engineers, scientists and support personnel.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/588123400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.