This is a Washington Army National Guard Title 32 Excepted Service Bargaining Unit Technician position:Learn more about this agency
HR SPEC (MILITARY)
Location: Recruiting and Retention Battalion
Camp Murray, Washington 98430
Army National Guard Units
Appointment Type: Permanent, excepted service
Advertised as: ENLISTED
This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
A GS-0201-9, HR SPEC (MILITARY):
- Develops, implements and evaluates the administration, personnel, and training policies for the organization.
- Reviews legal documentation and provides recommendations for appropriate actions and/or forwarding to higher headquarters.
- Coordinates and assists in developing plans for recruiting and retention within the command.
- Plans, organizes and assigns work to employees engaged in administrative and personnel work assigned at the command level.
- May be required to represent the National Guard and the Unit Commander in the community.
- Other duties as assigned.
- * The above duty description doesn't contain all details of the official position description. A copy of the entire position description can be found on FASCLASS by searching the position description (PD# PDD1115000). https://acpol2.army.mil/fasclass/search_fs/search_fasclass.asp
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
Military Grades: E4-E8
Compatible Military Assignments: 42A
- Applicants need not be assigned to the position or possess the MOS to apply or be considered for selection. Selected applicant must be assigned to a compatible Military position and attain MOS within 1 year of appointment action.
- Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
- All soldiers, civilian employees, and contractor employees who drive Army-owned or leased vehicles must complete the Army Avoidance Course (AAC) training when they start working for the Army. Must have a valid Washington state and military driver's license. Must be able to obtain a Government Travel Card (GTC) and be able to attend all schools deemed necessary by the supervisor.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Must maintain membership in the WA National Guard for continued employment.
Experiences gained through military or civilian technical training schools, within the human resources business programs, are included as general experience qualifications. An applicant must have a validated understanding of the basic principles and concepts of the occupational series and grade.
Must have at least one year of specialized experiences at the GS-07 or 24 months of general experience which provided a basic working knowledge of National Guard missions, organizations, and personnel programs. Must have a basic knowledge and experiences of personnel programs gained in a classroom or as an on-the-job trainee. Have knowledge-based competency of human resources business elements and can discuss terminology, concepts, principles, and issues related to this competency. Experienced in using references and resource materials and experienced in program functions such as, maintaining personnel records, counseling, or classification and assignments. Experiences may include performing personnel functions associated with preparing and maintaining position descriptions and manual records, personnel classification or usage, quality force management, managing personnel records and researching record data. Experienced in operating a computer and using varied computer programs.
High School Diploma or GED.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience:
To receive credit for Education, you must provide transcripts or other documentation of proof to support your Educational claims.
- If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
- Military Technicians are ineligible for enlistment, retention, and student loan repayment bonuses. Acceptance of a Technician position will terminate these incentives.
- Military Technicians in the excepted service will wear the appropriate uniform while performing as a Technician.
- Veteran's preference does not apply to National Guard Technician positions in accordance with Title 32 USC 709 (f).
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: The WA National Guard is an equal opportunity employer. Selection for this position will be filled without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, or political affiliation.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. You may also be excluded from consideration if you indicate that you are unwilling to accept the lower grade and a determination is made that you are not qualified at the higher grade. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Verbiage displayed on your resume or application must contain your own words. You may refer to position descriptions, i.e. the general and specialized experience located within the vacancy announcement, to assist with describing work experiences; however, resumes or applications received in verbatim will not be considered. In your resume you will need to address the general and specialized experience listed above. Please use as much detail as needed, giving dates (months and years) of the experience, position title and how the experience was gained. This information is needed to determine if you are qualified for the position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other characteristics). NOTE: You do not have to respond to the KSA's separately but your resume should contain sufficient information to demonstrate possession of the KSA's.
- Knowledge of a wide range of military HR management concepts, military regulations, policies, and procedures sufficient to provide comprehensive guidance to the command and staff within the battalion and subordinate units.
- In-depth knowledge of personnel authorizations, unit manning documents, duty assignment requirements and criteria sufficient to submit recommended improvements or corrections for the purpose of enhancing personnel readiness.
- Knowledge of personnel deployment requirements sufficient to provide procedural guidance in the of individual mobilization files, reviews and monitors the status of personnel and medical requirements, and the publication to develop and implement strength maintenance plans.
- Knowledge of military and/or state laws, rules, or procedures pertaining to legal actions available to the command sufficient to advise battalion or subordinate leaders on appropriate courses of actions.
- Knowledge of medical requirements sufficient to manage the organization's medical administration, medical support, and medical readiness issues.
- Knowledge of organizational missions and capabilities sufficient to perform presentations and briefings to community or military representatives and organizations.
- Ability to communicate through oral and written means sufficient to present ideas and information utilizing presentations, briefings, and correspondence.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you are required to submit a complete Application Package which includes:
- Resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed
- Resumes exceeding 25 pages will not be considered.
- Mil Form 174
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants: Cover Letter, DD-214,SF-50, and Transcript.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates (format should include Month and Year) of employment and duties performed
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below.
A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 01/30/2021 to receive consideration. Failure to submit all required documents by the closing date will result in disqualification.
To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application.
Follow the prompts to select your resume and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/
Agency contact information
WA HRO Staffing Section
AddressRecruiting and Retention Battalion
Camp Murray, WA 98430
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
For information about joining the Army National Guard please call 1-800-TO-GO-GUARD
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Washington Army National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard at the required military grade listed if the position is open Nationwide.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Army National Guard Units, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587609200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.