Do you have a passion for public service? The United States Secret Service (USSS) is looking for you! The USSS is a premier law enforcement organization with two (2) critical national security missions: protect our nation’s leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. For more information on the Secret Service click here.Learn more about this agency
The selectee will serve as a Computer Scientist in the Office of Investigations, Criminal Investigative Division. Typical work assignments include:
- Serve as a computer scientist and technical consultant for work involving both application and development of mathematical, statistical and computer-simulated models and applications.
- Applies mathematical and software engineering principles and disciplines to the building of software systems.
- Perform various duties concerned with the application of, or research into, computer science methods.
SALARY RANGE: The salary range referenced above reflects the national base salary. Locality adjustment will be applied based on the city an applicant is selected for.
Occasional travel - Domestic travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Obtain and maintain a top secret Tier 5 clearance. For more information visit OPM Mythbuster Page.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- Submit to a polygraph examination prior to your appointment.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Financial disclosure report required.
You must demonstrate at least one (1) year of the defined specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level and meet the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Individual Occupational Requirements (IOR).
Specialized experience is defined as:
GS-13: You qualify for the GS-13 level (starting $102,663) if you possess one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level performing duties such as:
- Developing software systems, high-speed computing systems, real time data acquisitions systems, simulation modeling;
- Installing, configuring, and operating and managing infrastructural components (i.e. Windows Server 2016 & 19, Failover Clustering to include Storage Spaces Cluster, Hyper-V, Juniper MX, SRX, EX and QFX platforms including the Juno operating system, SQL Server/Oracle, .Net/ C#/ Python);
- Installing configuring, operating and managing operational technologies such as Video Surveillance/Video Management Systems, Digital Forensic technologies/Network/Computer/Phones, Lawful Telecommunications Intercept Technologies, Advanced data Analytics Technologies);
- Serving as staff specialist for a significant segment of a subject-matter or program area and providing technical guidance in planning, coordinating, and evaluating proposed research projects and programs.
OPM's Individual Occupational Requirement (IOR) is defined as:
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position: http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification standards/1500/computer-scienceseries-1550/
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under ICTAP, you must meet the basic requirement and specialized experience as described above for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
This position is covered by Administratively Uncontrollable Overtime (AUO) and additional compensation may be paid at the rate of up to 25% of the base salary.
See Qualifications section.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
E-Verify Statement: DHS uses E-Verify, an Internet-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Click here to learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
It is federal government policy not to deny employment simply because an individual has been unemployed or has had financial difficulties through no fault of their own. For more information on this subject click here.
If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
This position may require a credit check after initial job qualifications have been determined.
The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
Relocation expenses will not be authorized.
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy https://www.opm.gov/about-us/our-people-organization/support-functions/equal-employment-opportunity/
How You Will Be Evaluated
"This announcement is being filled using the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) direct-hire authority. Agencies may appoint candidates directly to jobs, without regard to the provisions of Title 5 U.S.C.3309 through 3318. Applicants who meet the basic requirement and specialized experience for the position will be referred to the selecting official for further consideration. Veterans’ preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to the announcement.”
Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices and reflect the one year of specialized experience requirement, in order to be considered. If the one year of specialized experience, equivalent to the next lower grade level cannot be identified in your resume, you will be considered not qualified. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge of computer science concepts and principles of standard computer science practices, methods, and techniques to perform, following specific instructions, routine projects or minor phases of a larger or more complex project.
- Knowledge of computer design, simulation or programming software or other appropriate software to perform routine design and analysis assignments.
- Knowledge of computer science and related disciplines to design, develop and adapt scientific methods and techniques to recommend solutions for computer problems.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and apply computer science procedures in a variety of situations and recommend effective solutions.
To preview questions please click here.
You must also submit the following documentation:
- Resume - In order to receive credit for experience contained in an uploaded resume, your employment history should show work experience in month/year format (MM/YYYY), reflecting starting date and ending date, and include the number of hours worked per week.
- Unofficial Transcripts - From an accredited university/college reflecting degree earned, major and date conferred.
- Special Priority Selection rights under CTAP or ICTAP: Submit a copy of your agency notice, copy of your most recent performance appraisal (with at least a satisfactory rating),and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
The USSS offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance
- Life insurance coverage
- Leave for personal, recreational, and health needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) Plan)
- Flexible work schedules
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Tuition reimbursement and student loan repayment
- Training and development
- Relocation may be paid
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Instructions for Submitting Resumes and Applicable Documents
All resumes, un-official college transcripts, and certifications, if applicable, MUST be submitted to COMP-SC@usss.dhs.gov and include work experience in month/year format (MM/YYYY), reflecting starting date and ending date, and include the number of hours worked per week.
Special Priority Selection rights under ICTAP: Submit a copy of your agency notice, copy of your most recent performance appraisal (with at least a satisfactory rating), and your most current SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location. To be considered well qualified, you must meet the specialized experience and OPM's Individual Occupational Requirements as listed in the Qualifications Section. The subject line of your email should state ICTAP.
Agency contact information
AddressUnited States Secret Service (DHS-USSS)
Please read entire announcement
Please apply online
Washington, District of Columbia 20223
Do you have a passion for public service? The United States Secret Service (USSS) is looking for you! The USSS is a premier law enforcement organization with two (2) critical national security missions: protect our nation’s leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence – whether investigating financial crimes or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the USSS we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity, and courage.
Next stepsOnce your complete application is received we will conduct an evaluation of your qualifications and determine your eligibility. You will only be contacted if your resume /documents are deemed to meet the OPM Qualifications Standard and if you are selected for an interview. Otherwise, you will be notified at the conclusion of the open period.
Applying to this announcement certifies that you give permission for DHS to share your application with others in DHS for similar positions.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/585525700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.