This position is located in the Department of Defense (DoD) Office of Inspector General (OIG), Mission Support Team (MST), Data Analytics Team (DAT). The incumbent is a Mathematical Statistician, GS-1529-13, responsible for understanding IG oversight functions and business operations. Additional work assignments include the following:Learn more about this agency
- The incumbent effectively collects requirements for the DAT, incorporate and execute advanced analytical techniques to improve impact of oversight work products and processes, and present findings to internal and external customers.
- As a Senior Analyst, the incumbent is responsible to assist management initiatives by coordinating advanced analytical tasks among DAT peers, as directed.
- Collects, assembles, and compiles statistical data for final tabulations, and prepares tables, charts, or graphs for presentations, dashboards, and other DAT products;
- Develops analytical data products for inclusion in reports issued to top management in the IG, DoD, other DoD organizations, GAO, and Congress;
- Carries out statistical investigations, which may use sampling theory, non-parametric and parametric mathematical models, deterministic analysis, and inferential predictions in order to meet the mission of the DAT;
- Develops plans, programs, methods, procedures, and techniques for collecting, processing, compiling, and presenting statistical data;
- Provides statistical and mathematical modeling support, as directed an within the scope of the mission, to internal and external customers;
- Provides instruction, expert advice, content editing, and consultation services for the DAT;
- Communicates and negotiates project requirements, scope, status, and issues to meet the DAT mission.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- U.S. citizenship
- Males born after 12/31/1959 must be registered for Selective Service
- Position has been designated as Noncritical Sensitive. Incumbent is required to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance.
- Current DoD civilian employees are not required to submit to drug testing if moving from one Testing Designated Position (TDP) to another with no break in service, unless deemed appropriate on a case-by-case basis.
- If you have not previously completed a probationary period with the Federal government in a similar position, you will be required to serve a two-year probationary period.
- This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies within 90 calendar days of the initial issue date of the referral list.
- Position(s) may be filled by displaced Department of Defense (DoD) employees through the Priority Placement Program.
- Recruitment Incentive MAY be authorized at the discretion of the Hiring Official.
- The incumbent must adhere to the DoD Standards of Conduct.
QualificationsApplicants must demonstrate that they meet the Basic AND Minimum Qualification requirements as noted below.
Basic Requirement: A degree that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics, OR a combination of education and experience that includes at least 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, including at least 12 hours in mathematics and 6 hours in statistics, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Note: Courses acceptable toward meeting the mathematics course requirement must have included at least four of the following: differential calculus, integral calculus, advanced calculus, theory of equations, vector analysis, advanced algebra, linear algebra, mathematical logic, differential equations, or any other advanced course in mathematics for which one of these was a prerequisite. Courses in mathematical statistics or probability theory with a prerequisite of elementary calculus or more advanced courses will be accepted toward meeting the mathematics requirements, with the provision that the same course cannot be counted toward both the mathematics and the statistics requirement.
In addition to meeting the basic requirement, you must meet the specialized experience described below.
Specialized Experience: You must have at least 52 weeks of specialized experience at the GS-12 level in the Federal service or at an equivalent level. Specialized experience is defined as experience working as an independent oversight function across multiple components within an Agency applying statistical and mathematical modeling techniques to studies, investigations, or audits to improve the impact of results.
You must meet the minimum qualification requirements as stated in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Operating Manual, Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions, https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/classifying-general-schedule-positions/standards/1500/gs1500p.pdf
Experience includes paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional, philanthropic, religious, spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Due to the education requirement of this position, you MUST provide unofficial transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement. If transcripts are not received, you will be rated as ineligible.
PASS/FAIL COURSES: If more that 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) were taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
GRADUATE EDUCATION: One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specialized in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Accreditation: Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management website at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/ and U.S. Department of Education website at http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html.
Working for DoD OIG offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):Applicants must be well-qualified, which is defined as meeting all of the minimum qualification standards and eligibility requirements as well as possessing skills that clearly exceed the minimum qualification requirements for the position established by the Best Qualified category definition.
Veterans Preference: Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans' Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Once the announcement has closed, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine whether you meet the qualification requirement listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the best qualified candidates, you will be referred to the hiring official for employment consideration.
All qualified candidates will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Data Visualization
- Probability Sampling
- Project Management
- Technology Application
Preview the assessment questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10968023~
Your complete application package includes:
- Resume showing relevant experience (cover letter optional). Resume should include the following: where you worked, job title, series and grade, if applicable, duties and accomplishments, employer's name and address, supervisor's name and phone number, starting and end dates (Mo/Yr), hours per week and salary;
- An unofficial transcript that included 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, of which at least 12 semester hours were in mathematics and 6 semester hours were in statistics, OR 24 semester hours of mathematics and statistics, including at least 12 hours in mathematics and 6 hours in statistics, (plus appropriate experience or additional education.) Transcript must have name of college/university to prove accreditation. If selected, an official transcript will be required prior to your entrance on duty;
- Completed assessment questionnaire;
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): Information about ICTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website at http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/workforce-restructuring/employee-guide-to-career-transition/.
- Any additional documentation that would provide proof of your eligibility category for which you are applying. Required documents are listed next to the eligibility category in the "Additional Information" section above.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account.
1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents.
2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application.
3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
AddressDODIG - MISSION SUPPORT TEAM
4800 Mark Center Drive
Alexandria, VA 22350
Engaged Oversight Professionals Dedicated to Improving the Department of Defense
The Department of Defense (DoD) Office of Inspector General (OIG) has been ranked as one of the best places to work in the federal government! Come join us for a meaningful career with an agency that truly values our employees. You will find a diverse workforce from entry level jobs to senior management positions. We detect and deter fraud, waste, and abuse in all DoD programs and operations by promoting the economy, efficiency, and effectiveness of the DoD and help ensure ethical conduct throughout. For more information about who we are and what we're about, please visit www.dodig.mil.
Visit our careers page
Learn more about what it's like to work at Office of Inspector General, what the agency does, and about the types of careers this agency offers.
You will receive emails at various points in the evaluation process to notify you of: 1) receipt of your application; 2) after further evaluation, whether or not you are referred to the selecting manager for consideration and possible interview; and 3) the final disposition of your application when recruitment is complete.
To check the status of your application or return to a previous or incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account, select My Applications, and click on the more information link under the application status for this position.
Privacy Act Notice (PL 93-579): The information requested here is used to determine qualifications for employment and is authorized under 5 U.S.C. 3302 and 3361.
False Statements: Misrepresentation of your experience or education or otherwise providing false or fraudulent information may be grounds for not hiring you or for firing you after you begin work.
This Job Opportunity Announcement may be used to fill similar positions in other organizations with in the Department of Defense Office of Inspector General.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/585401600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.