About the Position: Serves as an Attorney-Advisor (Contract), representing the Army Materiel Command Legal Center in the Acquisition Law Division at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama.Learn more about this agency
Management is selecting for this vacancy at the GS-11, GS-12, or GS-13 level. The target grade level of this position is GS-13. Promotion potential to the target grade requires meeting time-in-grade requirements, performing the duties at the target grade level, and obtaining supervisory approval.
- Renders legal advice and service. Interprets and advises on statutes, regulations, and executive orders.
- Analyzes contract and supporting documents to assure that completed contracts are in conformance with basic principles of contract law and applicable directives and regulations.
- Reviews contract and procurement law documents, international agreements, negotiations, protest and complaints, royalty rights, patents, procurement fraud cases, and the litigation process.
- Advises on contract modifications, novation agreements, contract termination and disposition of termination inventory, allowability of cost, incentives, escalations, progress payments, performance and payment bonds, and rate negotiations.
- Counsels in matters of contractual rights and obligations which might become the subject matter of future disputes and litigation, and prepares written documents such as legal briefs, opinions, and legal memorandums.
Occasional travel - Business travel is required 10% of the time or less.
Job family (Series)
Conditions Of Employment
- Appointment may be subject to a suitability or fitness determination, as determined by a completed background investigation.
- This position requires the incumbent be able to obtain and maintain a determination of eligibility for a Secret security clearance for access for the duration of employment.
- This position requires you to submit a Confidential Financial Disclosure Report (OGE 450) upon entry, and annually thereafter.
- This position is subject to a Temporary Duty or business travel requirement of 10% or less of the time.
- A one year trial/probationary period may be required.
QualificationsWho May Apply: US Citizens
Applicants will be evaluated to determine if they meet the minimum qualification requirements and on the extent to which their application shows possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) associated with the position. KSA's:
(1) Skill in identifying and researching highly technical and complex legal issues.
(2) Skill in providing legal, technical, and policy guidance.
(3) Ability to effectively, professionally, and ethically manage a heavy caseload of clients with complex legal needs.
(4) Knowledge in contracting laws and regulations.
(5) Skill in contract interpretation.
(6) Skill in written communication.
(7) Skill in oral communication.
Qualification Requirements: Applicants must meet the following minimum qualification requirements:
1) Education: Assignments require the first professional law degree (Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or Juris Doctorate (J.D.)). Applicants for initial appointment into attorney positions must be graduates of law schools accredited by the American Bar Association at the time of the applicant's graduation. The Army General Counsel may make an exception upon a showing that a candidate possesses superior qualifications and that no well-qualified candidates from accredited law schools are available.
2) Bar Membership: Applicants must be active members in good standing (as defined by the pertinent bar) of the bar of a State, territory, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
3) Professional Legal Experience
To qualify for the GS-11 grade level: Applicants must possess one (1) year of professional legal experience after admission to the bar. The Attorney Qualifying authority may grant an exception to this requirement when an applicant possess special qualifications.
To qualify for the GS-12 grade level: Applicants must possess more than 2 years of professional legal experience after admission to the bar commensurate with the duties of the position. The Attorney Qualifying Authority may grant an exception to this requirement when an applicant possess special qualifications.
To qualify for the GS-13 grade level: Applicants must possess more than 2 years of professional legal experience after admission to the bar commensurate with the duties of the position. The Attorney Qualifying Authority may grant an exception to this requirement when an applicant possess special qualifications.
4) Time in Grade (current Federal employees): Candidates selected for advancement will normally have completed at least one year of service that is one grade lower than the position to be filled. The selecting official may request a waiver of the one year requirement in cases where hardship or inequity exists.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute education for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is required.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitant information sheet.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 56 - Legal position.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
Your application package (resume) will be evaluated for basic qualification requirements and for the skills needed to perform the duties of the position, as described in this vacancy announcement and identified by the Selecting Official.
NOTICE OF VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: There is no formal rating system for applying veteran's preference to attorney appointments in the excepted service; however, the Department of the Defense considers veterans' preference eligibility a positive factor for attorney hiring. Applicants eligible for veterans' preference must include that information in their cover letter or resume and attach supporting documentation (e.g., DD Form 214, "Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty") to their submissions.
Although the point-preference system is not used, applicants eligible to claim a 10-point preference must submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference", and supporting documentation required for the specific type of preference claimed. The SF 15 will identify the supporting documentation required along with the list of the types of 10-point preference. The SF 15 is available from the OPM at https://www.gsa.gov/portal/forms/type/sf/.
Veteran's preference requirements do not apply to attorney positions in the excepted service, however the principles of veteran's preference will be followed to the extent which is administratively feasible as defined in DoDI 1442.02.
Applicants must submit a resume when applying for the position. While any format is allowed, USAJobs resume format preferred. The maximum page count for the resume authorized is 6 pages. If a resume exceeds 6 pages, only the first 6 pages will be evaluated.
Documents Required if Selected for Interview
Applicants selected for interview must be prepared to submit the following documents within 14 days of the notice of the request to interview.
1) Official transcript of the applicant's law school record.
2) Official statement of the applicant's standing in law school class. If the applicant's law school does not rank students, and the transcript does not explain that the school does not rank students, the applicant needs to submit an official statement from the school confirming the practice.
3) Good Standing Certificate. Officialcertificate showing the applicant is in good standing with a state bar, dated within three months (before or after) of the date the application is submitted. Good standing status must permit the applicant to engage in the active practice of law in at least one State or jurisdiction in which they are licensed. Active status authorizes an attorney who is a member in good standing to immediately practice law before the highest court of the licensing authority.
4) Fitness to Practice Statement. A sworn (notarized) statement by the candidate that their fitness to practice law or conduct as an attorney has never been challenged in any jurisdiction or; if either has been challenged, a sworn statement giving the facts, circumstances, and any other explanation that the applicant considers appropriate. As an alternative to a sworn statement, a declaration under penalty of perjury may be submitted in the following format: "I declare (or certify, verify, or state) under penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (date) (your signature)."
5) References: Contact information for three licensed attorneys, preferably prior or current supervisors/employers, who are willing to serve as references for the applicant.
6) SF-50 (Federal civilian attorneys): Copy of SF-50 showing current grade and step.
7) Optional - Writing Sample: Examples of writing skills as demonstrated by legal briefs, memorandum, and/or letters. Regardless of the number of writing samples submitted, the page count of all writing samples combined cannot exceed 10 pages in length. Extracts of selected sections of larger documents are acceptable.
NOTE: Documents submitted as part of the application package, to include supplemental documents, may be shared beyond the Human Resources Office. Some supplemental documents may contain personal information for someone other than you. You may sanitize these documents to remove another person's personal information before you submit your application. You may be asked to provide an un-sanitized version of the documents if you are selected to confirm your eligibility.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the online questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section above.
The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 10/27/2020 to receive consideration
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application (https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10936841).
- Follow the prompts to select your résumé and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
- After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process.
- You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
- It is your responsibility to verify that your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) is complete, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
- Additional information on how to complete the online application process and submit your online application may be found on the USA Staffing Applicant Resource Center.
Agency contact information
Army Applicant Help Desk
AddressBK-APF-W0H9AA US ARMY AVN AND MISSLES CMD
DO NOT MAIL
Redstone Arsenal, AL 35898
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
Redstone Arsenal is located adjacent to Huntsville, AL. The area provides access to great fishing, boating, arts, golfing, restaurants, churches, shopping, parks, and botanical clubs. Additionally, Redstone Arsenal is within easy traveling distance to many cities such as Nashville, TN, Atlanta, GA., Birmingham and Mobile, AL and the Alabama and Florida beaches.
If you have questions regarding this job posting please visit: https://portal.chra.army.mil/hr_public?id=app_inq and complete the online submission form. To expedite the process please include the Job announcement number, which can be found at the top, right hand side of the job announcement.
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy And gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581393000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.